Quantcast
Plumbing Advice - Kitec Infloor Piping - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Plumbing Advice - Kitec Infloor Piping

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Default Plumbing Advice - Kitec Infloor Piping

Anyone Beyond plumbing experts who can help with the following concerns:
    - above ground Kitec fitting dry leaking (getting worse)
    - have called 3 “big name” mechanical companies who all quoted similar jobs - replace the whole controller/manifold and boards and add significant upgrades (pressure tank, separator etc $$). Citing need to “bring it up to code”. One outfit said that’s unnecessary given the only repair needed is the manifold/fittings, thus grandfathered as a repair

The big question: can I simply replace the manifolds and fittings? Even this will be expensive as the fittings are hard to find - company in Manitoba manufactures them

Pic below:
    Name:  189C1607-B965-47BF-B3FB-3769775533B8.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  70.0 KB

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Looks like an old school radiant system. So where is the fitting leaking, line to the manifold, or from manifold down to the floor lines?

You biggest issue is not so much the leaking, is that to replace the fitting you will be introducing air into the system, which you will have to remove. Doesn't look like there is an air eliminator in that setup, unless it's higher above and cut off out of view. You will inevitably also have to add more fluid into the system, which is probably a 50% glycol mix. I have no idea how those older systems work and how to add fluids into them...so can't comment on that.

You could always get a newer 4 port manifold, separate the in and the out from the bracket, and connect all your lines to the new manifold. New manifold will have a fill port and can be used to top up. This one also has an air eliminator for example and will automatically drain the air as it circulates.

https://www.amazon.ca/Manifold-4-Bra...442406211&th=1

Your lines are too short to keep it all in one unit, so you will have to remove from the mount, but other than that will work just the same. Really if it's just a single fitting and you want to do a quick repair...find the fitting. Ebay ect will surely have what you need.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Thank @eblend , yes single zone, older system, that does not use glycol. We have two hot water tanks, one that feeds domestic and one that feeds infloor heat.

Leaking is present on 50% of the fittings between the manifolds and feed/return lines on the bottom of the pic.

Also, I’m not wanting to DIy this - I want to pay someone to do it but the quotes I’ve got so far are all over the place

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank @eblend , yes single zone, older system, that does not use glycol. We have two hot water tanks, one that feeds domestic and one that feeds infloor heat.

Leaking is present on 50% of the fittings between the manifolds and feed/return lines on the bottom of the pic.

Also, I’m not wanting to DIy this - I want to pay someone to do it but the quotes I’ve got so far are all over the place
    Ah, sorry, DIY is all I do, I just did my own hydronics tubing in my house build thread, so I have no recommendations. Have you reached out to Lone Star Plumbing and Heating? They do hydronics stuff and they did my hydronic design. The guy I deal with directly was Dan ([email protected]) and he was very helpful in answering my follow up questions and giving suggestions, so maybe try reaching out to him and see if he has a better idea for you.