Quantcast
Lifted Truck + Slide in Camper Discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lifted Truck + Slide in Camper Discussion

My Ride
    Ferrari

Default Lifted Truck + Slide in Camper Discussion

Anyone run a lifted truck with a slide in camper? Thoughts? Problems? Observations?
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, there are multiple forces at work here. I haven't done this, but I have dealt with slide-in campers.

Firstly, depending how tall the lift is, you may be at or past the travel of the camper jacks to even get this thing loaded.

Secondly, many pickups are payload limited in situations like this, remember most camper weights are "dry" weights, and don't include cargo, batteries, water etc. Also trck payload numbers don't include passengers and luggage. Incredibly easy to go past your rating, even with a one ton truck.

The third thing, and the one that's hardest to solve, is the instability produced from having a heavy weight very high up. Cornering sucks with a camper even at stock height. It will be just that much worse with a lift. You may want to look into suspension upgrades, like thicker sway bars, stiffer springs, or "stable-loads". Air bags help, but only if they are not connected, otherwise they can make things worse around corners as the load shifts.

Do you already own the truck and the camper? If you like, post the weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not as big of an issue, but highway fuel economy will be worse, as you are catching more wind.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ferrari

I've got an 06 F350 CC/SB with a 4-6 inch lift and 35's. It's 'average' Alberta diesel size. The previous owner did all the work and it's set up for a camper. Belly bars, air bags and everything. I'm looking at a camper with a 3200lbs dry weight. Not really concerned about the payload too much as I think it's 4000 on this truck not including modifications.

I'm on factory wheels and my plan was also to get a set of aftermarket wheels with a greater offset, and some fender flares etc. Nothing too crazy just a better look and I think overall the added width of the track will help stability.

Reason for camper is so I can pull a trailer as well (quads, race car, etc.) and I like campers in general.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Why not a camping trailer with toy storage in the rear section and a sled deck for extra toy capacity if needed?

Default Re: Lifted Truck + Slide in Camper Discussion

Originally posted by Alak
    Anyone run a lifted truck with a slide in camper? Thoughts? Problems? Observations?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Nice Rob, ha ha.

Anyway, It's almost certainly doable, and it is handy for pulling a small trailer. Although, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the payload concerns.
    Crew cab truck will hold a lot of people or gear, plus the dry weight of the camper, plus the gear in the camper, plus the tonge weight of the trailer. it adds up pretty fast. It's worth your time to run this combination across the CAT scale at the truck stop a couple times to get it set up correctly.

Also, find out if the air bags are connected together or separate. Makes a big difference to cornering behaviour.

And, even if you do determine you are within your limits on this setup, the cornering will be pretty poor, please take it easy, don't be Mr. Typical Alberta Diesel guy while you have the camper in the back.

I love campers too, was practically raised in one, enjoy yourself!

My Ride
    Ferrari

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Nice Rob, ha ha.

Anyway, It's almost certainly doable, and it is handy for pulling a small trailer. Although, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the payload concerns.
    Crew cab truck will hold a lot of people or gear, plus the dry weight of the camper, plus the gear in the camper, plus the tonge weight of the trailer. it adds up pretty fast. It's worth your time to run this combination across the CAT scale at the truck stop a couple times to get it set up correctly.

Also, find out if the air bags are connected together or separate. Makes a big difference to cornering behaviour.

And, even if you do determine you are within your limits on this setup, the cornering will be pretty poor, please take it easy, don't be Mr. Typical Alberta Diesel guy while you have the camper in the back.

I love campers too, was practically raised in one, enjoy yourself!
    The air bags arent connected. It has a massive sway bar in the back too, larger than the camper package one I imagine. I drive my truck pretty easy since its a ford I dont want it to break.

Im not super concerned about the payload because weve had some serious equipment in the back of the truck at the farm and it didnt seem to really affect it too much. Balancing between the axles is another story. Would have been easier had I bought a EC/LB Dually instead of this but I never anticipated a camper 4 years ago.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Why not a camping trailer with toy storage in the rear section and a sled deck for extra toy capacity if needed?
    I like the ability tow any sort of trailer behind the camper. Race car, horse trailer, etc. We had a regular sort of non toy hauler trailer a couple years ago and it was okay but limited to what you can sorta do or you have to bring multiple vehicles, that sort of thing.