Quantcast
Hyundai Is The New Toyota with 2017 Elantra - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Hyundai Is The New Toyota with 2017 Elantra

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
    Posts
    19,544
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Hyundai Is The New Toyota with 2017 Elantra



    The new Elantra is here, and I’m thoroughly whelmed…

    I mean, I had expectations and, overall, they were met. The exterior is a little blander than I expected, but it’s still nice. The interior looks about as good as I wanted, but feels better than I thought it would.

    http://www.beyond.ca/hyundai-is-the-...tra/53794.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A future rustbucket.
    Posts
    6,029
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Baby Sonata! Love it


    Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses & Niche Content Websites.

    No contracts, just results. Websites, SEO, PPC, Content Creation. SEO & Marketing Solutions by SimplifiedSEO.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    8,611
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Anyone driven one of these Elantra Sports yet?

    http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/E...017/Index.aspx

    $24,999 base 6MT - $28,999 with Tech package and 7-speed DCT (plus freight & PDI)

    1.6T, 201 hp / 195 lb/ft

    In the absence of the Civic Si it looks like not a bad option.

    Ride & handling is tuned by Albert Biermann, who was the the head of BMW's M Performance division until he was poached. Only watched YouTube reviews so far but they seem very positive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Euro Accord Brah
    Posts
    6,264
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    After all the shit talking ads on tv regarding the corolla and civic, looked into the specs since I hate hyundai.

    Rear Torsion Axle

    Rear 203 mm / Drum (Opt 262 mm Disc)
    boooooo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    8,611
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I actually looked at a lease because I am getting a new car, and it's $550.85/mo and 4.99% which means they are valuing it around $5700 after 4 years. Either I am doing something wrong or they are grossly undervaluing the car's residual to get huge lease payments out of people.

    I believe the rear end is a multi-link setup on the sport.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Euro Accord Brah
    Posts
    6,264
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I actually looked at a lease because I am getting a new car, and it's $550.85/mo and 4.99% which means they are valuing it around $5700 after 4 years. Either I am doing something wrong or they are grossly undervaluing the car's residual to get huge lease payments out of people.

    I believe the rear end is a multi-link setup on the sport.
    Yup, sport is not torsion, but everyone else now has it standard on all trims.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deadmonton
    My Ride
    Fo'ST
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I've seen the new Sport, in manual.

    Nice side skirts/shifter feel, love how they keep it simple whereas Honda is going over the top with styling - which isn't a bad thing either, people have complained about Japanese cars being so bland. Steering feel is still typical KIA/Hyundai rubber band feeling that could use tightening up, by today's standards.

    And that 1.6T doesn't feel that great/powerful, at least it doesn't deliver it in a fashion that feels powerful. By comparison, the 1.5T in the new Civic w/ CVT feels just as powerful and that's not even being an SI. I've driven plenty of the new Tucson and Veloster Turbo with this 1.6T and neither were impressive to me as far as power delivery goes. And the other day tried a KIA Forte5 Turbo hatch with this motor, same thing.

    Fiesta ST > all

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    YYC and YVR
    My Ride
    GGL15, R53, JCE10, VZN170, BB6
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Yeah doesn't look too bad at all. Front is like a Ford Fusion, rear is Hyundai totally. Likes like a mini Fusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    8,611
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by tehwegz
    I've seen the new Sport, in manual.

    Nice side skirts/shifter feel, love how they keep it simple whereas Honda is going over the top with styling - which isn't a bad thing either, people have complained about Japanese cars being so bland. Steering feel is still typical KIA/Hyundai rubber band feeling that could use tightening up, by today's standards.

    And that 1.6T doesn't feel that great/powerful, at least it doesn't deliver it in a fashion that feels powerful. By comparison, the 1.5T in the new Civic w/ CVT feels just as powerful and that's not even being an SI. I've driven plenty of the new Tucson and Veloster Turbo with this 1.6T and neither were impressive to me as far as power delivery goes. And the other day tried a KIA Forte5 Turbo hatch with this motor, same thing.

    Fiesta ST > all
    Thanks for the feedback. I was actually excited about the car based on the YouTube reviews until I saw how it's not even remotely economical to lease. You can lease a C300 4matic for less

    According to Hondata, that Civic 1.5T Dynos 177hp and 190 lb/ft at the wheels, which is probably why it feels so strong. Assume 15% drivetrain loss that is roughly 203 HP and 218 lb/ft at the crank if Hondata's numbers are accurate. It also helps explain why the new Civic is faster than the outgoing Si. I like the new Civic but I am having trouble getting over all the plastic bodywork given that I am not 16 anymore.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    w/ Carmen Sandiego
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,603
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Whoa. The Elantra Sport interior is legit. Manual+ Heated steering wheel + CarPlay?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    8,611
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Everything has Carplay now, but Hyundai/Kia have heated steering wheels on a lot of their vehicles and it is absolutely amazing. I'm surprised it's so rare on other cars. I would rather have that than heated seats any day.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    17 Toyota Tacoma, 12 Honda Odyssey, 04 330I
    Posts
    4,774
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I actually looked at a lease because I am getting a new car, and it's $550.85/mo and 4.99% which means they are valuing it around $5700 after 4 years. Either I am doing something wrong or they are grossly undervaluing the car's residual to get huge lease payments out of people.

    I believe the rear end is a multi-link setup on the sport.
    I get $517 for tech/dct, 4 year, 20k/ yr.

    You may be using Ontario prices. Either way the rate is to blame and horrendous residual.

    As posted in the recession thread, if you are leasing a Golf/Golf Sportwagen can be had for well under $350 a month. Mazda's aren't bad now that they dropped their rates and have incentives on them too. Hyundais don't lease out well at all unless they are subsidized by the manufacturer. (they do this for Elantra GL, LE once in a while)

    Edit: If you just want something with a heated steering wheel, you can lease a 2017 Corolla SE upgrade for $278 a month all in
    Last edited by Aleks; 02-06-2017 at 11:16 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    8,611
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Aleks


    I get $517 for tech/dct, 4 year, 20k/ yr.

    You may be using Ontario prices. Either way the rate is to blame and horrendous residual.

    As posted in the recession thread, if you are leasing a Golf/Golf Sportwagen can be had for well under $350 a month. Mazda's aren't bad now that they dropped their rates and have incentives on them too. Hyundais don't lease out well at all unless they are subsidized by the manufacturer. (they do this for Elantra GL, LE once in a while)

    Edit: If you just want something with a heated steering wheel, you can lease a 2017 Corolla SE upgrade for $278 a month all.
    You're right, I had Ontario - I could have sworn it asked me and I picked "AB". Oh well, still way too expensive for that car to lease. I figured Hyundai would have some sort of promo but nope.

    I didn't know Corolla's had a heated steering wheel on the SE, that's awesome.

    My lease criteria is $400/mo max, and it has to have a turbo because nothing in the compact class has any torque without one. The problem with the non-GTI golfs/wagons is the transmission choices - 5spd manual or 6spd traditional automatic that nobody seems to like.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    17 Toyota Tacoma, 12 Honda Odyssey, 04 330I
    Posts
    4,774
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt


    You're right, I had Ontario - I could have sworn it asked me and I picked "AB". Oh well, still way too expensive for that car to lease. I figured Hyundai would have some sort of promo but nope.

    I didn't know Corolla's had a heated steering wheel on the SE, that's awesome.

    My lease criteria is $400/mo max, and it has to have a turbo because nothing in the compact class has any torque without one. The problem with the non-GTI golfs/wagons is the transmission choices - 5spd manual or 6spd traditional automatic that nobody seems to like.
    If you go with 4motion golf wagon, you get the DSG.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    8,611
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Aleks


    If you go with 4motion golf wagon, you get the DSG.
    Interesting, so it does.

    Unfortunately the Comfortline comes to $428/mo before taxes and fees and I assume freight & PDI. Also VW separates out smartphone integration and blind-spot monitoring into two separate packages totaling over $2,000 which I didn't select (but want). Seems surprisingly high for a $28,745 car but it's good to know you can get the 1.8 TSI, AWD, and DSG trifecta in the wagon.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    boonies
    My Ride
    6.6 turbo
    Posts
    1,724
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I'd only ever lease any Hyundai product. Toyota/Honda kill this thing in resale value and no doubt offer much better long term dependability.

    And of course the engine doesn't feel as strong as the numbers suggest, Hyundai/Kia always seem to overstate the numbers.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    ___________________________
    My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans
    Posts
    11,138
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt


    Interesting, so it does.

    Unfortunately the Comfortline comes to $428/mo before taxes and fees and I assume freight & PDI. Also VW separates out smartphone integration and blind-spot monitoring into two separate packages totaling over $2,000 which I didn't select (but want). Seems surprisingly high for a $28,745 car but it's good to know you can get the 1.8 TSI, AWD, and DSG trifecta in the wagon.
    Ya it a pretty awesome car with the DSG. Want me to build you a quote with your discounts etc?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

    Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

    Red Deer, AB

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    8,611
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

    Ya it a pretty awesome car with the DSG. Want me to build you a quote with your discounts etc?
    Sure, please. Doesn't hurt to take a look. Tried to PM you earlier today but your inbox was full

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    7,684
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    FYI, Kia Soul SX Turbo Tech with the same engine and DSG gear box as the Elantra Sport with MSRP around $32K is only leasing for $400/mth all in.

    $550/mth at 4% is BS at this time of the year. There should be no finance/leasing rate over 2% right now unless it's low volume models.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-06-2017 at 01:25 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Ride
    A moving pylon
    Posts
    6,268
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    It will still drive like shit... Toyota's actually drive nicely compared to Kia/Hyundai
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    abso fucking lootely

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: 2008 Red Hyundai Elantra - New Timing Belt and Tires

    By PAV in forum Cars, Trucks, Motorbikes, and Trailers
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 03-06-2015, 08:51 PM
  2. FS: New ST Springs for 03-06 Hyundai Elantra.

    By Ven in forum Automotive Parts [Suspension/Handling]
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 03-04-2006, 09:11 PM
  3. 1998-Hyundai Elantra GLS - 5000$-firm

    By djstefan in forum Cars, Trucks, Motorbikes, and Trailers
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 09-21-2004, 08:10 AM
  4. FS: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

    By ehos in forum Cars, Trucks, Motorbikes, and Trailers
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 09-20-2004, 11:34 AM
  5. Parting out 94 hyundai elantra

    By racerjim in forum Automotive Parts
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 08-28-2004, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •