Quantcast
Question for our Lawyers and Police Officers - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Question for our Lawyers and Police Officers

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by spike98
    Speaking as not a lawyer, if you are telling your clients to tell police incriminating evidence, you are a dumbass.
    That's why I believe the correct advice is to choose to say nothing as it is much more defensible than lying.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

nm

Even if your honest and tell the police you only had 1 beer they won't believe you anyways. I had a friend who got pulled over by the RCMP. The guy was an idiot and grabbed a beer as he ran into town to grab some food for the BBQ. He had just cracked it and was driving to the store when he got pulled over. He didn't try and hide the beer for whatever reason.

The officer sees the beer and accuses him of driving drunk. He only drank half of it... He does a breathalyzer and blows next to nothing so the cop continues to yell and scream at him and makes him wait 15 min hoping he had much more to drink then what was in the car. 15 min go by and he blows the same again. Gets an open container ticket and sent on his way.

The friends a moron and deserved to get treated like an idiot but everyone will get treated like they are guilty of you say you had 1 beer.

A police officer won't believe you if you had just one beer. All that does is open up probable cause like others have explained. Why give the police the opening they need to do their business. If your friend has a joint on him when the police pull you over do you willingly give up your friend? Of course not...

That's why I believe the correct advice is to choose to say nothing as it is much more defensible than lying.
    I don't see the issue with lying unless you are under oath. That is the LEO's job. To weed out the bullshit and apply the law.

I've been on both sides of the argument at hand. On my way home from being away on business, the wife and I stopped at the keg for dinner. I had a glass of wine with my meal. It was an especially long day for me and at the time i still wore contacts.

On the way home i was pulled over for speeding. I was speeding. When asked if i was drinking, i told the officer "Yes, i had a glass of wine at the keg a few hours ago". The officers tone changed immediately and i was being treated as though i was drunk...with my wife beside me and my kid in the back. (remember the contacts?, my eyes were dry...)

Not knowing much, i was scared shitless. He was threatening to tow the company van and give me a 24hr suspension despite the fact i had did nothing illegal.

Now if i would have said "No officer, nothing to drink at all tonight" He likely would have gave me my speeding ticket at let me on my way. Instead, i gave im cause to ASSUME i was loaded.

After talking with my lawyer about it, he indicated that under no circumstances do you EVER admit guilt for anything.

"Have you been drinking?" - NO
    "Do you know why i pulled you over?" - NO
    "Did you know you blew that stop sign back there?" NO!!!

Its the officers job to collect evidence you have broken the law and detain/arrest when required. Let them do their job. Its your job to not incriminate yourself when you think you are going to get in trouble.

But that lawyer posted your supposed to incriminate yourself

So 3 real lawyer (not internet lawyers) opinions so far:

Weapon_R - always say no
    shakalaka - always say no
    Majestic12 - be honest

Any other actual lawyers want to chime in? I'm also curious on what I should say if I get pulled over after having 1 drink. I'm leaning towards always say no.

My Ride

Well I searched a bit now and from one Law Firm's website I found this:

When you are detained, you are also under no obligation to say anything to the police, you do not have to answer any of their questions or even give them your name and address; you are free to say absolutely nothing to the police. The police may make you feel like you have to answer their questions but the law allows you to remain silent. If you do chose to speak to the police anything you say must be the truth to avoid being charged criminally.
    http://www.criminaltriallawyers.ca/?q=know-your-rights

Further, sabad66, I am sure Weapon_R's comment was directly to MY situation where just saying no was indeed the truth and would have turned my 2 minute stop into 30 seconds. Nor did Shakalaka say what you've interpreted.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 11-25-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Careful. If you're detained for a lawful reason (which you probably are, especially in a vehicle) you most certainly have to provide identification or a name if asked. Failure to do so is arrestable, and you'll be under arrest until the police make that determination on who you are. You don't have to say anything after that, but you do have to provide ID upon request (or demand, as it is.)

My Ride

^ Good clarification, what I am understanding from the educated comments is that you MUST provide ID when the driver of a vehicle. On foot is a different matter but, not what this thread was really focusing on. My mistake in including it in that quote, I was more focused on the requirement to answer truthfully if you choose to answer.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

^ Good clarification, what I am understanding from the educated comments is that you MUST provide ID when the driver of a vehicle. On foot is a different matter but, not what this thread was really focusing on. My mistake in including it in that quote, I was more focused on the requirement to answer truthfully if you choose to answer.
    It's always a good idea to answer truthfully anyways, because if I'm standing at your door, and it's cold and dark out, and I'd rather be doing anything in the world than talking to you, and you're lying to me, and I find out you're lying to me... Then you're not going to be happy with how many tickets you just lied yourself into.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride

^

If you read my comment just above yours and, look at the link I provided, you will see that blurb is from being detained while ON FOOT. As I said I quoted that solely for the comment about being required to tell the truth if you decide to speak. That cute little lawyer website, in the same link, is very clear that you MUST provide your ID when requested and you are the driver of a vehicle. It's just a couple paragraphs above what I quoted.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

It's always a good idea to answer truthfully anyways, because if I'm standing at your door, and it's cold and dark out, and I'd rather be doing anything in the world than talking to you, and you're lying to me, and I find out you're lying to me... Then you're not going to be happy with how many tickets you just lied yourself into.
    I made this exact comment when people said jrs was being combative. I mentioned if he was he would have ended up with a shit load of tickets. Thanks for verifying this.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think I'm just going to have my lawyer follow me around and deal with all interaction with police or government officials from now on.

This is all way to convoluted.

Or i guess i could just not break the law. That might work.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Not sure how you can lie yourself into committing an offence under the TSA

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by sabad66
    So 3 real lawyer (not internet lawyers) opinions so far:

Weapon_R - always say no
    shakalaka - always say no
    Majestic12 - be honest
    I don't think either of us said that. If someone were to call me, I would advise and remind of their right to silence but I would not counsel anyone to deliberately lie to obstruct an investigation...that's another charge altogether
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

I don't think either of us said that. If someone were to call me, I would advise and remind of their right to silence but I would not counsel anyone to deliberately lie to obstruct an investigation...that's another charge altogether
    Haha exactly.

All we said was that the reasonable suspicion test which the police is required to meet prior to administering an ASD device is met right then and there when you admit to alcohol consumption. Always remember that you have the right to remain silent whenever you're having interactions with the police.

The first thing I say to a client when I get a bail call after they have been charged with something is, 'make sure you don't say a word.'

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by spike98

Not sure how you can lie yourself into committing an offence under the TSA
    Because generally if I have to coax the truth out of you and you waste my time, your tinted windows become ticketable, instead of "I don't give a shit."

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Originally posted by shakalaka

Haha exactly.

All we said was that the reasonable suspicion test which the police is required to meet prior to administering an ASD device is met right then and there when you admit to alcohol consumption. Always remember that you have the right to remain silent whenever you're having interactions with the police.

The first thing I say to a client when I get a bail call after they have been charged with something is, 'make sure you don't say a word.'

Haha, just when i thought i was getting a straight answer it becomes ambiguous again.

I guess with 1-2 drinks either way you won't blow over so it doesn't hurt to tell the truth.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast