Quantcast
Question for our Lawyers and Police Officers - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for our Lawyers and Police Officers

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Cops have been EXTREMELY nice to me lately. And I used to dislike cops, alot! I'm starting to look at them differently over the last 3 - 5 years or so. I have a very simple formula I've been using lately, as I get pulled over ALOT! I think I've been pulled 4 times this year and the years still not over..

When I see the cherries, I immediately flash my 4 ways 3 - 4 times or so acknowledging them, but I continue to drive sometimes for up to a km until I find a safe place for me and them to pull over. When I stop, I shut my car off, and put the keys on the dash, along with both my hands on the top of the steering wheel. When they come over, I start with a hello officers, and then I shut my mouth until they ask a question, which I'll immediately replay with a straight forward answer. They BIG time respect this i've noticed.

If your gonna get pulled over. Just remember these are people just like you, and me, their just doing a job, and their just trying to get home at the end of the night to their families. Dont make their lives any harder then it has to be, and you shouldn't ever have a problem. Respect them, and they'll respect you.

My Ride
    335i

The answer to your question lies in the fact that you are operating a vehicle. Under provincial law, a peace officer may stop and demand documentation from you by virtue of your desire to drive. If you had been on foot, your obligations to the officer are significant less, as are their ability to stop and identify.

That said, I dont think the answer you give at the checkstop ever really matter. I have yet to meet an impaired driver who admits to drinking a half dozen beers at a checkstop to police. During the stop, they are examining your eyes and smelling your breath. A simple "no drinks at all" would have probably had you on your way much quicker.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Inrich- only thing I can add is to roll down all your windows if they are tinted and to not bother grabbing your insurance until you ask them it's okay to grab.

I've been pulled over lots and although these steps help the police are hit and miss big time. I've shared one story of the RCMP officer being the happiest guy I've ever met and another recent one where the officer was a complete dick....

how they'll treat you is already decided long before they get to your window.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by gwill
    how they'll treat you is already decided long before they get to your window.
    Traffic guys yes, regular members it can be hit and miss.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

At least their was a specific reason why they were doing checks.

Wait until you get stopped in a STEP check or get "carded."

Those are a real piss off.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Where was this by chance? Springbank? Edge School?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

As someone said earlier, I don't see it being much different than a checkstop (though more thorough with a ID check). The reason for stopping you is still the same.

As for the questioning/combative argument, I personally don't see a problem with the question, so long as it's presented in a non-dickish way (which to JRSC's credit, seems like he did). Although we don't have the kind of hostile civilian/police relationship that the US seems to have, it's important for civilians to know their rights and ensure that they're not be being violated by authorities. For example, I have absolutely nothing to hide but if police showed up at my door and wanted to search it, they better have probable cause to do so and show me due process. It's not a matter of being combative and argumentative with authorities, it's my job to the be the first line of defense to ensure my rights aren't being violated.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Where was this by chance? Springbank? Edge School?
    JRSC00LUDE??

I ask cause I play out at Edge tonight and usually have 1 or 2 beers after the game and want to know if I shouldn't just in case there is hassle.

My Ride
    AECO

Has a lawyer or law enforcement member commented yet?

My gut tells me they should have PC before effecting a traffic stop, but would like to hear from an expert.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Don't need to have PC to stop you and check for documents/sobriety.

JRSC00LUDE??

I ask cause I play out at Edge tonight and usually have 1 or 2 beers after the game and want to know if I shouldn't just in case there is hassle.
    Wouldn't worry about that. I got pulled over last weekend after a wedding by a Military Police Officer on base. He stopped me for speeding (who knew the limit was 40 on the base, oops). I'd had five drinks that night, in about five hours. (Three beers, a shot, and a rum and coke)

Blew green; 0.02. Obviously, I felt just fine as well.

The question is merely a distraction.

They're smelling your car after you roll down the window and looking at your eyes for sobriety. When you talk they're smelling your breath.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

JRSC00LUDE??

Sorry lasimmon! I don't live in Calgary so nope! And stillworking, yes a Lawyer has chimed in above.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
    Wouldn't worry about that. I got pulled over last weekend after a wedding by a Military Police Officer on base. He stopped me for speeding (who knew the limit was 40 on the base, oops). I'd had five drinks that night, in about five hours. (Three beers, a shot, and a rum and coke)

Blew green; 0.02. Obviously, I felt just fine as well.
    Well, I see 2 issues comparing yourself to Lasimmon:

1) everyone's body is different

2) you have 5 hr @ 1 drink/hr. It sounds like he's going to pound 2 beers and start driving home within minutes.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Xtrema

Well, I see 2 issues comparing yourself to Lasimmon:

1) everyone's body is different

2) you have 5 hr @ 1 drink/hr. It sounds like he's going to pound 2 beers and start driving home within minutes.
    Obviously... but two beers after a hockey game probably won't get you wasted to the point you can't drive. If it does, personal limits, you know. Sounds like Lasimmon has done it a few times and not had any issues.

Nah drink 2 beers over an hour and a bit after the game then head home.

More or less i meant I don't NEED to drink the beer so if there were cops lurking I would just go home haha.

Default Re: Question for our Lawyers and Police Officers

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    When the officer came to my window his response to my question of "What can I do for you?" was "We are performing a sobriety check on you, are you intoxicated/have you been drinking?". My response to this was along the lines of "Did I do something that led you to believe I am intoxicated?" and he got a bit uppity that I questioned him (my opinion with his tone and facial expression) and demanded my Drivers License which he then went back to run.
    You're an idiot.

A simple "no" works much better.

My Ride

Originally posted by stillworking
    Has a lawyer or law enforcement member commented yet?

My gut tells me they should have PC before effecting a traffic stop, but would like to hear from an expert.
    Weapon_R is a lawyer.

My Ride
    changes every year

Ya they can do what they want. Thats based on my experience as a 1st year lawyer.

My Ride

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    Ya they can do what they want. Thats based on my experience as a 1st year lawyer.
    The LEOs in Canada CANNOT do whatever they want 100% of the time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast