Quantcast
GMC Truck Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: GMC Truck Thread

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

5.3 is plenty for me now that I'm at sea level. I'm also tuned for 91 which made a big difference in driving feel, and transmission behavior. Darkane, you've got 3.42 gears if it matters.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    5.3 is plenty for me now that I'm at sea level. I'm also tuned for 91 which made a big difference in driving feel, and transmission behavior. Darkane, you've got 3.42 gears if it matters.
    Is that right? I swear it's 3.55 because of the trailer tow package (which I have). Mind you we have the same truck so you're likely correct lol.

No you're right. The 3.42 are in the middle. 3.08-3.42-3.73.

I'm in the middle! Thanks.
    Last edited by Darkane; 06-06-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Darkane

That's odd. I routinely get 10.5-11.5 on the highway at 110-120.

I've read plenty of articles stating tonneu covers do nothing, but GM offered it on their special edition hybrid truck (two?) years ago. Must do something if they offered it on the primo mpg truck.

True story: I've gotten 9.1L/100km in my truck from Rosetown to Saskatoon going 101kph. I was so flabbergasted.

5.3L, 3.55 rear end, 18" all terrain wheel/tire package.

Wife and I will get 12.5-13 in town almost like clockwork. We do a fair amount of Deerfoot however.

A couple of other neat things about the 5.3:

It's tuned for E85 from the factory and WILL produce 380/416 with that fuel.

GM accessories offers the exhaust from the X-Terrain or whatever that special edition was last year. They claim 10bhp.

So exhaust and E85 you're right at a Hemi but with more torque. Mind you we don't have E85 but the ECU will adjust for 94 (E10) and give a bit more power, maybe 10/10.

EDIT: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/07/...no-with-video/
    Yah I don't know why my mileage is so poor. I also have the 3.42 and a tonneau cover. Pretty much stock with the exception of an Air Raid Jr. Intake and a oil catch can.

Yah the thought of running 91 or 94 with E10 to try to pick up a few ponies to me really isn't worth it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by 94boosted

I regret not going with the 6.2, at the time I was buying there was essentially the exact same truck, except one was a 5.3 w/ sunroof and the other was a 6.2 w/o sunroof, worked out to almost the same price. I got the 5.3 thinking the mileage would be substantially better, but now I'm not so sure.

I get 15.5L/100km average city/highway over the last 35K km's. Around 12.8L/100km's when driving down the highway at 120 cruise set and about 18.5L/100km's when hauling my open deck car hauler with my car on it. Overall not that impressed with the mileage, a friend has a 16' w/ 6.2 and gets 12.0L/100km's when on the highway at 120.

How's everyone elses mileage with the 5.3?

I really want to get into a 19' w/6.2 & 10spd, let's see what the wife says
    Remove the Corvette wing :P

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Had a 4th GMC added to the driveway today. 2017 2500 crew cab short box SLE with a 6.0. Company truck though, not my own. Company name in big letters down the side. Sweet.

Not sure yet where I'm going to park all these.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Remove the Corvette wing :P
    Yah that costs me ~1.5L/100km unfortunately, may as well just get an enclosed trailer now

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunno if anyone gets the chirp from the AFM exhaust valve, but they have changed the design for MY17 and discontinued the old design. I am on my second exhaust cause of the chirp and am looking forward to getting the updated design. Unfortunately it is on backorder now.
    Getting the redesigned exhaust installed next week. Along with 4 new wheels due to the chrome finish peeling around 3 of 4 valve stems.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Getting the redesigned exhaust installed next week. Along with 4 new wheels due to the chrome finish peeling around 3 of 4 valve stems.
    Is that what that annoying sound is everytime you apply throttle? I thought that was the TB haha

What does the re-designed exhaust consist of?

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Yah I don't know why my mileage is so poor. I also have the 3.42 and a tonneau cover. Pretty much stock with the exception of an Air Raid Jr. Intake and a oil catch can.

Yah the thought of running 91 or 94 with E10 to try to pick up a few ponies to me really isn't worth it.
    I have tuned close to 50 of these trucks now with varying degrees of modifications. I can say without a doubt if you have changed the airbox and not had a retune that is where your loss of mileage is coming from.

Same deal for me, stock 14 all terrain I have gotten as low as 9L/100 on the highway (depends largely on wind direction and speed.) Usually in the 11-12 range on the highway and 14-15 in the city. Anyone who complains about that kind of mileage has probably never owned a truck before.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by LSChevelle View Post
    I have tuned close to 50 of these trucks now with varying degrees of modifications. I can say without a doubt if you have changed the airbox and not had a retune that is where your loss of mileage is coming from.

Same deal for me, stock 14 all terrain I have gotten as low as 9L/100 on the highway (depends largely on wind direction and speed.) Usually in the 11-12 range on the highway and 14-15 in the city. Anyone who complains about that kind of mileage has probably never owned a truck before.
    hmmm, yah never thought about getting a tune for the truck. Didn't really want to do any mods that could give me warranty headaches.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Is that what that annoying sound is everytime you apply throttle? I thought that was the TB haha

What does the re-designed exhaust consist of?
    Not exactly sure. I think the solenoid for the flapper valve is moved to external. But ya I'm definitely looking forward to the new one. Just switch you DIC to show when you're in v8 or v4 and pay attention to see when the noise happens.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Gonna bump this thread As I got A new truck at work, A 2017 2500HD with the 6.2 and 8spd and while its only been 2months I'm pretty impressed with it compared to the myriad of crap I've been given before . Now I can barely justify getting a truck so I'm only looking at 1500s, particularly 4wd double cabs w/ reg box with the 5.3L(silverado). Any options that are must haves/Avoids? Definitely gonna be getting the tow package as there is a lot of value there and really helps come sell the thing later on(although i generally don't sell a vehicle for quite some time). Only other things I really care about are HIDs and reverse cam which are standard on the 17s. The bed lighting seems rather handy but from my research it fairly simple to add after the fact.
    Last edited by Crazyjoker77; 08-14-2017 at 07:30 PM.

My Ride
    Trucks

The 5.3 is the worst performance and reliability engine they offer.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    Gonna bump this thread As I got A new truck at work, A 2017 2500HD with the 6.2 and 8spd and while its only been 2months I'm pretty impressed with it compared to the myriad of crap I've been given before . Now I can barely justify getting a truck so I'm only looking at 1500s, particularly 4wd double cabs w/ reg box with the 5.3L(silverado). Any options that are must haves/Avoids? Definitely gonna be getting the tow package as there is a lot of value there and really helps come sell the thing later on(although i generally don't sell a vehicle for quite some time). Only other things I really care about are HIDs and reverse cam which are standard on the 17s. The bed lighting seems rather handy but from my research it fairly simple to add after the fact.
    When have the 2500s come with the 6.2? I'm pretty sure you have the 6L in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    The 5.3 is the worst performance and reliability engine they offer.
    I don't see why the 6.2 would be more reliable, but it does perform better yes.

The 4.3 is the worst performer of the bunch. I really like my 5.3.

40,000kms now and it hasn't missed a beat. Going synthetic next oil change too so I'm hoping for another 0.1-0.2L/100km decrease in fuel usage.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Silverado

Ya I'm not sure what Darrel is talking about. I'm pretty active on gm trucks and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the engine.

One option that is hard to add after is the trailer brake controller. Also the rear end. Also 8 speed vs 6. Bucket seats vs bench.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    When have the 2500s come with the 6.2? I'm pretty sure you have the 6L in there.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why the 6.2 would be more reliable, but it does perform better yes.

The 4.3 is the worst performer of the bunch. I really like my 5.3.

40,000kms now and it hasn't missed a beat. Going synthetic next oil change too so I'm hoping for another 0.1-0.2L/100km decrease in fuel usage.

Your absolutely right its the 6.0 I just assumed it was the top model 1500 motor that was the base motor for the HDs. Its almost more impressive that its only 380hp not the 420 of the 6.2L. The 1500s with the 6.2 might be worth looking into.

Darrel are you sure your thinking of the Ecotec 5.3 and not the vortec 5.3 from the previous gen that was pretty craptastic? Whats your reasoning for slamming it? I too also spent the last week or so combing forums and haven't found anything to seriously negative about the new 5.3L.

And yes I'm undoubtedly getting the trailer brake controller as its defiantly worth the $300. The trailering package includes a "locking mechanical rear diff" and there is a option for a "heavy duty rear diff" for 400$ more. I haven't found this to be optioned on many of the remaining trucks and would like a bit more elaboration than there vague descriptions. It only list the 6spd option for availably trannies, I thought the 8 only came on the 6.2L? I prefer the bench seat over the buckets for a truck.

My Ride
    Silverado

The heavy duty diff is for the max tow package. Mot many out there like it. I believe you can get the 5.3 with an 8 speed but only on slt/ ltz. I believe buckets would be standard on that trim .

My Ride
    K-car

The 5.3 has been pretty bulletproof. There were some issues with oil consumption and lifter failure on the 07-13 models equipped with DOD, a simple tune to defeat cylinder deactivation and those problems are solved and you have a 500,000 k engine.

In all my years dealing with truck fleets I've yet to see a longer lasting gas engine than the 5.3/6.0 GM's.

I LOVE my 6.2!

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I just picked this up. 6.2L. I like it.
    Name:  IMG_9965.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  84.9 KB

My Ride
    Trucks

Ya I'm not sure what Darrel is talking about. I'm pretty active on gm trucks and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the engine.

One option that is hard to add after is the trailer brake controller. Also the rear end. Also 8 speed vs 6. Bucket seats vs bench.
    I didn't realize there was a new 5.3, my bad.

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast