Quantcast
GMC Truck Thread - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: GMC Truck Thread

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ecoboost threads got me thinking.. what oil do you guys use in your 5.3? Stick with the 0w20?
    I use synthetic 0/20. Cant remember what brand it is. I drive it until 10% life and then change it. Oil is always still at the full mark.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    what oil do you guys use in your 5.3? Stick with the 0w20?
    My truck is quite a bit older than most of the other GMCs here: I have a 2008, and it calls for 5w30 and that's what I use. Mobil 1 synthetic. With about 220,000 km on the odometer, it's starting to burn a bit between changes.

My Ride
    K-car

Quote Originally Posted by raceman6135 View Post
    My truck is quite a bit older than most of the other GMCs here: I have a 2008, and it calls for 5w30 and that's what I use. Mobil 1 synthetic. With about 220,000 km on the odometer, it's starting to burn a bit between changes.

Try Rotella T5 5w40 Synthetic. Oil usage will go way down. Going to a 40 weight won't hurt a thing.

My Ride
    LNF

The 2008-2010 suffer from the AFM issues which cause burning. I had a 08 and I was burning around 1 qt every 2000k if I was on the highway (this was when it will burn the most because of AFM). But, to this day, my brother still has the truck and it still runs well at 350k other then some burning oil.

Quote Originally Posted by corsvette View Post
    Try Rotella T5 5w40 Synthetic. Oil usage will go way down. Going to a 40 weight won't hurt a thing.
    Interesting, I hadn't heard this. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    The 2008-2010 suffer from the AFM issues which cause burning. I had a 08 and I was burning around 1 qt every 2000k if I was on the highway (this was when it will burn the most because of AFM). But, to this day, my brother still has the truck and it still runs well at 350k other then some burning oil.
    Since getting the truck, I've done some reading and heard about the AFM issues causing oil burning and I've been meaning to start by pulling the driver's side valve cover to see if it is the updated design to help stop oil being sucked into the PCV. Also thought about having the AFM disabled either via a tune or just plugging in one of those Range Technologies devices for the diagnostic/OBD port. Did you or your brother try anything to stop the oil consumption?

My Ride
    K-car

Since getting the truck, I've done some reading and heard about the AFM issues causing oil burning and I've been meaning to start by pulling the driver's side valve cover to see if it is the updated design to help stop oil being sucked into the PCV. Also thought about having the AFM disabled either via a tune or just plugging in one of those Range Technologies devices for the diagnostic/OBD port. Did you or your brother try anything to stop the oil consumption?
    We had a 08 Yukon 5.3. I used a bullydog tuner and turned off AFM, its asks in the setup menu if you want to keep it. Fuel economy stayed exactly the same without it lol.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

We had a 08 Yukon 5.3. I used a bullydog tuner and turned off AFM, its asks in the setup menu if you want to keep it. Fuel economy stayed exactly the same without it lol.
    Is that right? I would expect a slight increase in fuel consumption.

The next generation of AFM is coming down the pipeline. Dynamic skip fire.

https://www.google.ca/amp/gmauthorit...mc-sierra/amp/

Not sure I’m super keen on it, but it’ll likely tip real world mpg in GMs favour.

My on board trip calculator does tell me I do much better in AFM mode. I’d have to tune it off and do manual comparisons apples to apples to see if it truly works. My gut says it does.

Skip fire could essentially chug the truck along in 2 cylinders. Couple this to the larger 6.2L and 10 sp... winner winner, something something.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    K-car

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Is that right? I would expect a slight increase in fuel consumption.

The next generation of AFM is coming down the pipeline. Dynamic skip fire.

https://www.google.ca/amp/gmauthorit...mc-sierra/amp/

Not sure I’m super keen on it, but it’ll likely tip real world mpg in GMs favour.

My on board trip calculator does tell me I do much better in AFM mode. I’d have to tune it off and do manual comparisons apples to apples to see if it truly works. My gut says it does.

Skip fire could essentially chug the truck along in 2 cylinders. Couple this to the larger 6.2L and 10 sp... winner winner, something something.
    We had a Yukon Xl. With a tailwind going downhill was the only time I ever seen V4 on display for longer than 2 seconds. Pretty useless imo but the tech was fairly new back then. Have a Yukon Denali now with the 6.2 and 6 speed and its a hog on gas and it doesen't even have AFM. I've got the bullydog on it now too which helped the tranny shift much better and so much more power than the 5.3 had its worth the extra fuel.

Looking like the 19 GM's may offer a carbon fibre bed on the Denali and high country models. Rumor says the engine lineup will stay the same with the 5.3 coming in at 395 hp and 6.2 at 460 Hp with the new skip fire. Can't wait to see them, expected unveiling in a few weeks at the Detroit show.

My Ride

We had a Yukon Xl. With a tailwind going downhill was the only time I ever seen V4 on display for longer than 2 seconds. Pretty useless imo but the tech was fairly new back then. Have a Yukon Denali now with the 6.2 and 6 speed and its a hog on gas and it doesen't even have AFM. I've got the bullydog on it now too which helped the tranny shift much better and so much more power than the 5.3 had its worth the extra fuel.

Looking like the 19 GM's may offer a carbon fibre bed on the Denali and high country models. Rumor says the engine lineup will stay the same with the 5.3 coming in at 395 hp and 6.2 at 460 Hp with the new skip fire. Can't wait to see them, expected unveiling in a few weeks at the Detroit show.

Wow those are healthy power increases! Do you have an article or forum link?

395hp 5.3 would be sweet.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    K-car

Here's the 2019 TRail Boss!!!

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Oh GM, I don't know about this one. I can get over the headlights but that crease down the side, that's going to take a lot of getting used to.

Round wheelwells will be neat though.
    Last edited by SKR; 12-16-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    K-car

I like that crease, gives the body some definition rather than just a slab side or wheelwell bulges. Real life pics look better. With anything I think we need to see it in person. The new Super Duty looked like ass to me in pics, now that they're all over the place I think they look great.

My Ride
    Silverado

The front is gonna need some time for me to get behind. Every else looks dope.

2" lift on the trail boss sounds good. maybe they'll make a zr2 if it goes well enough, sounds like a higher strength steel for the bed. not carbon fibre.

hofmeister kink looks good on anything.

My Ride
    K-car

One thing I don't get about GM is their color choice. This thing would look even more badass in Storm Grey or Black.

My Ride

I like it, looks tough.

I'm a GM guy though (looks wise) so I'm curious how the Denali will look like with 22s.

The current model year looks very nice still in the painted bumper and body colour grill. They're rare(ish) but it's the best combo.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    K-car

This looks killer with the color match. This is one hot truck imo, can't wait to see the Sierra and other trims (8 different trims for Chevy)

My Ride

I actually hope it’s physically just a touch smaller or the same dimension as current. The f150 is just too big. Doesn’t even fit in my garage ffs, well with the 6.5 box for sure.

I think the 5.5 is even a touch too long.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Has anyone updated their Nav Data? My truck is a 2015 and it doesn't even know of Stoney Trail lol. Would like to update but not badly enough to spend $140 LOL on this (http://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/prod...en_US/GMNA/USD). When I had my BMW you could get the eBay special Nav disc for all of $10 that worked flawlessly haha

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Looking to fix the mounting of my toolbox in a 03 2500hd. Anyone know where I can get replacement j-hook mounts locally in edmonton? Does home depot or crappy tire have something that will work?
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast