Quantcast
Fiberglass Repair In Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fiberglass Repair In Calgary?

Default Fiberglass Repair In Calgary?

My Mustang got struck in the front last week, causing damage to my grill, fiberglass hood, and (I say) something in the drivetrain that's caused a violent vibration.

So the insurance body shop looked at the car just long enough to say they wouldn't testify that it was undriveable. The official estimate is later but they alluded that they will just replace my Cervini hood and probably throw money at the rest of it with equal gusto.

Taking the car to an actual mechanic tomorrow so I can get the vibration diagnosed and fight for the insurance company to cover it.

Anyway....the car was written off several months ago for hail damage, hence the reason I got the new hood in the first place. After I got my check I was told the car would only be covered for $3000ish going forward. I'm concerned that by the time the bills are all totaled up the insurance company will just write the car off and offer me a $3000 check. Leaving me to go find a $3000 car that's half as good as the one I have. See the dilemma?

Long story short, I can fix the grill myself, and the engine too if need be, but I'd probably save the most money if I could get the hood repaired instead of replaced. There's maybe a 5 inch gash in the leading edge of the hood but otherwise it faired very well. Is there someone around here who can fix that? Thanks.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

With paint and repair costs I would assume that would be more than buying a new hood

Depending on how deep the gash is, could just be filled properly and then prep/sand and re-spray.
    I can't see it really costing as much as a new hood. It's not like carbon fiber as you don't want to see the fiberglass "weave".

Sorry don't know of any contacts to have this done. But if they use the proper product, I can see it as good as new.
    Something like this:
    http://3mcollision.com/products/plas...kit-05883.html

If damage is around where the hood latch is, I would worry a bit more and probably use some sheet metal on backside to repair. But if you're running hood pins as you should with a hood like that, you're fine with the repair kit.