Quantcast
Celica GT-S or RSX-Type S, or just get a TSX - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Celica GT-S or RSX-Type S, or just get a TSX

Really just need to get out there and test drive. Might realize I hate a particular car haha. Should I look for dealerships to test drive, or just say fuck it and test drive a private seller's car even if I'm not sure if I'll like that car anyways? Don't want to annoy someone or anything like that..

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Of all the cars you've discussed, I own an IS300 and have owned a TSX.

My IS300 is an' 02 and I have never seen the issues you've talked about. The melting dash is a non-issue here in Calgary; maybe a concern if you are in a hotter climate like Texas, Arizona or California. I can't comment on how it is in snow because I don't winter drive mine; it is very clean and sits pretty low on coilovers and I have a truck I owned from before that I use in the cold months.

The TSX was a wonderful car, it was very good in winter, had a slick shifting six speed, was comfortable, had good looks and solid handling for a FWD car. I only dumped mine because the mileage was starting to get up there. That being said, do not buy a '04 or '05, the early ones are known to burn oil - no this is not a rumour, I know several people who had that problem and it is well documented in the forums. Get an '06+, or if you plan on tuning it later with a Hondata get an '07-08.

If I needed another car right now I would find a white '07 TSX six speed with an A-spec kit from BC, drop it slightly on some nice wheels and call it a day. It really is still one of my all time favourite affordable cars.

Good luck with the search!

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by Typical_Chinese
    Really just need to get out there and test drive. Might realize I hate a particular car haha. Should I look for dealerships to test drive, or just say fuck it and test drive a private seller's car even if I'm not sure if I'll like that car anyways? Don't want to annoy someone or anything like that..
    holy. just get out there are start viewing cars. most private sales will let you test drive, and if they don't, it's probably a car to steer away from. why do you care if the seller gets annoyed if you don't end up buying the car? be assertive and get this done, lol.

Yea I'm going to do that this weekend! Going to see this one unless it gets sold before the weekend hits:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

What do people think? Pretty low KMs, car looks good (but I mean it just went through a car wash). Is 2002 too old for $7000?

This ones up in Edmonton so I won't be able to see it until later in December, but it has around 10k more KMs, but is 4 years newer and $900 more pricy. Not stock though; should I go up to Edmonton to see this guy:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/r...ationFlag=true

Finally, this one is slightly over budget at $8500 but I've sent him an email; been on the market over a month so might already be sold and he hasn't taken it down. Looks beautiful!

For the Civic SI and the TSX I sort of know what to look for and also plan on seeing two TSXs this weekend. Haven't found a good Civic SI though.

Thank you so much once again everyone, I know I've been super indecisive haha!
    Last edited by Typical_Chinese; 12-07-2015 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

I've owned a TSX, so I will add to the love for that car. It was fantastic.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

18 year old me is so excited for you right now!
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Haha I'm excited too! Also checking out a 2.5RS, 2002. Couldn't find a hawkeye 2.5i sedan to test (there are two I think in Edmonton), so I'll get a "taste" of it via the 2.5RS for now. Though they'll def be more "boring" than the RSX Type S, Civic SI and the TSX, but hey the AWD will be nice.

Thank you everyone for your help! I will report back and then probably have a billion more questions again hahaha

Your choices are so typical Chinese haha

My Ride
    G37X

I'd say TSX>SI>Type S>Impreza from your current choices.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I'd vote for Civic Si 4 door, and later on upgrade to TSX when you get bored of redlining the Civic Si

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

What's your budget?

I really liked the 2007+ G35x. A lot of power and great in winters with the AWD. However fuel economy isn't the best compared to a TSX or even TL.

I had a 2006 Acura TL w/ Nav. I loved that car, it was such a pleasure to drive. Has all the fancy options for that decade and lots of power.

Mine had about 140k when I decided to sell it.

TSX's are awesome as well, a friend of mine sold his first one to his sister. Than bought an Accord but sold that as well and bought another TSX.

I personally like the TL better. 2 Door is great if your young but eventually you will want something larger.

RSX-S I would get 2005+ due to the refreshed front & rear.

My Ride
    Blue boy

02 RSx for 7K

Thought I'd come back with a quick little upgrade:

Even after everyone told me to go TSX over the RSX-s, I just had to try it out to sort of "come to terms" with it, and although I couldn't try the Type S (tried a Premium I believe), I felt like it was enough to sort of turn me away haha. Don't get me wrong, car was fun, I just realized I really did want the practicality of four doors, and the interior is really not something I was looking for (I have at least three friends who love bare-boned/super simple interiors so the car is like as "car-like" as possible and when they're driving it's just "them and the car").

I test drove a 2005 Acura TL at a dealership, and a 2006 TSX, both automatic (It's so hard to find a manual for the TL especially!). The TL definitely felt bigger, heavier and such but I felt more comfortable in it, and the extra power was much appreciated. The TSX felt quite underpowered even to me (I drive a like, 100 hp car lol), but it feels more "nimble" or (I'm not too sure how to describe it) just has better handling.

Overall, I think I prefer the TL a bit more than the TSX, but bottom line is if there's a great TSX deal I'd jump on it (like there weren't any dealbreakers for either cars). I did some reading online and apparently I should look for 06+ TSX's and TL's though, which I'll do.

I'm also looking at 05-07 Infiniti G35x's, they're only automatics but apparently still very fun to drive. The rev-up problem and other transmission problems seem to only plague the manual cars, and overall looking at the maintenance schedules and common problems of the car it doesn't seem too expensive to maintain either.

Thank you everyone for your help!

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Thought I'd come back with a quick little upgrade:

Even after everyone told me to go TSX over the RSX-s, I just had to try it out to sort of "come to terms" with it, and although I couldn't try the Type S (tried a Premium I believe), I felt like it was enough to sort of turn me away haha. Don't get me wrong, car was fun, I just realized I really did want the practicality of four doors, and the interior is really not something I was looking for (I have at least three friends who love bare-boned/super simple interiors so the car is like as "car-like" as possible and when they're driving it's just "them and the car&quot.

I test drove a 2005 Acura TL at a dealership, and a 2006 TSX, both automatic (It's so hard to find a manual for the TL especially!). The TL definitely felt bigger, heavier and such but I felt more comfortable in it, and the extra power was much appreciated. The TSX felt quite underpowered even to me (I drive a like, 100 hp car lol), but it feels more "nimble" or (I'm not too sure how to describe it) just has better handling.

Overall, I think I prefer the TL a bit more than the TSX, but bottom line is if there's a great TSX deal I'd jump on it (like there weren't any dealbreakers for either cars). I did some reading online and apparently I should look for 06+ TSX's and TL's though, which I'll do.

I'm also looking at 05-07 Infiniti G35x's, they're only automatics but apparently still very fun to drive. The rev-up problem and other transmission problems seem to only plague the manual cars, and overall looking at the maintenance schedules and common problems of the car it doesn't seem too expensive to maintain either.

Thank you everyone for your help!
    You really can't go wrong with a TL or TSX. The G35s are nice too, potential for more mechanical issues relative to the Acuras but a nice pick up if the car is in good shape.

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

You really can't go wrong with a TL or TSX. The G35s are nice too, potential for more mechanical issues relative to the Acuras but a nice pick up if the car is in good shape.
    Yea definitely, I'm keeping my eyes out for those three. In general, it's been hard finding a low KM G35x, but prices are, I think, quite reasonable, around $8000 for a ~180000km car, but I'm not too sure. On the other hand, the TL's and TSX's seem to be lower in KM, and prices are a bit higher than $8000. I haven't found any decent 2006+ Acura TSX though. The TSX I just felt like it was more boring than the TL, for a similar price as the TL; fuel economy doesn't really bother me that much either.

Here are the three cars I found:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/e...ationFlag=true

Worth noting is that the two Infiniti's here messaged my "Wanted" ad on Kijiji, and the 2006 one messaged me with a price of $8000 and the 2007 one messaged me with $8500. However, the 2007 one has 186300 kilometers, AND NOT 176300.

The Acura is up in Edmonton which is a bit less convenient and I'll prob do a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer or Crappy Tire because I don't know anyone in Edmonton, so that might be a downside?

I'll have to go drive a G35x first before deciding that they're good for me though haha.

Personally I would not go for the g35 especially if you are looking for ones with 180k. I'd go for the updated engine as they don't burn oil (as much?)

That Acura looked like a sweet deal, maybe try to see if someone in Edmonton could check it for you, I'm sure there are some edmontonians on beyond

My Ride
    V8s

Yea definitely, I'm keeping my eyes out for those three. In general, it's been hard finding a low KM G35x, but prices are, I think, quite reasonable, around $8000 for a ~180000km car, but I'm not too sure. On the other hand, the TL's and TSX's seem to be lower in KM, and prices are a bit higher than $8000. I haven't found any decent 2006+ Acura TSX though. The TSX I just felt like it was more boring than the TL, for a similar price as the TL; fuel economy doesn't really bother me that much either.

Here are the three cars I found:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/e...ationFlag=true

Worth noting is that the two Infiniti's here messaged my "Wanted" ad on Kijiji, and the 2006 one messaged me with a price of $8000 and the 2007 one messaged me with $8500. However, the 2007 one has 186300 kilometers, AND NOT 176300.

The Acura is up in Edmonton which is a bit less convenient and I'll prob do a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer or Crappy Tire because I don't know anyone in Edmonton, so that might be a downside?

I'll have to go drive a G35x first before deciding that they're good for me though haha.
    Make sure you look at both 06 and 07 G35's so you can make an informed decision. The two cars are completely different, the 07 is a notable improvement over the 06 (both inside and out). Also, the 05/06 rev-up oil consumption issue is there on both manual and auto cars - it doesn't matter which transmission it's got. I would stay away from 05/06 altogether because of that potential problem.

I've got a 07 G35S sedan, and aside from the fact that it's not the fastest car, I'm overall very happy with it. And it's been just as reliable as all the Acuras and Hondas I've had over the years (a bunch).

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by cjblair

Make sure you look at both 06 and 07 G35's so you can make an informed decision. The two cars are completely different, the 07 is a notable improvement over the 06 (both inside and out). Also, the 05/06 rev-up oil consumption issue is there on both manual and auto cars - it doesn't matter which transmission it's got. I would stay away from 05/06 altogether because of that potential problem.

I've got a 07 G35S sedan, and aside from the fact that it's not the fastest car, I'm overall very happy with it. And it's been just as reliable as all the Acuras and Hondas I've had over the years (a bunch).
    I'd second with going 07+ if you go with Infiniti, a much better car for sure. The 07 G35 would be quite a bit quicker than the TL, and should be fairly reliable still. I don't think you could go wrong with a G or the TL.

I'm being super, super superficial/stupid right now haha, but the reason I like the 2006 one (for that listing) is because the black and the spoiler makes it look so nice haha! But yea, I read a few threads on an Infiniti forum and the 07+ is definitely more worth it; can't afford an 08 though, they're all in the $13k+ range! Even most of the 07's are in that range, but granted they do have lower KMs.

I checked the maintenance schedule of a G35x, and it seems like at 120000 miles, or around 190000 km, the most major maintenance that needs to be done is a bunch of fluid flushes, and the drive belt replacement (serpentine belt). I'm not a car person, but a quick Googling makes it seem like these things are quite cheap to fix.

The Acura does seem pretty darn sweet, if it was in Calgary I'd have looked at it immediately, because the lack of photos, aftermarket bulbs and the spoiler isn't very enticing right now. Price seems very fair though , but I bet it needs a timing belt change at that KM, along with the water pump stuff and such.

I have owned and driven many Japanese cars. And by far the worst maker is Nissan/Infiniti.

The quality and factory defects (that warranty does not want to cover) is ridiculous. My family and I have owned 2 new Nissans and 1 infiniti. Complete utter disappointment. Go with Honda.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast