Quantcast
Celica GT-S or RSX-Type S, or just get a TSX - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Celica GT-S or RSX-Type S, or just get a TSX

Sweet, I'll take a look at those! I'm still considering the ~2007 2.5i Imprezas haha, hawkeyes are so sexy :<

Also, since the IS300 is RWD, even with snow tires, would it not be as suitable for winter as a FWD? I mean sure in like Calgary it's probably fine, but just thinking a bit longer term when I have to go out of the city, etc. Would be a lot more fun though

My Ride
    06 STi

I owned a 2004 Celica GTS and really did like it. It had everything that I wanted and it was super easy to work on. It was the Tsumani edition and looked very nice! But......after driving the RSX-S, I knew that I wanted to sell the GTS and get a Type S. I sold the GTS and for a Type S and have loved it since. More power, more available mods, and I personally think it looks nicer. (plus it's a Honda........)
    Last edited by AA2001; 12-02-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    GONE

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    VTEC did not kick in....yo.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by Typical_Chinese
    Sweet, I'll take a look at those! I'm still considering the ~2007 2.5i Imprezas haha, hawkeyes are so sexy :&lt;

Also, since the IS300 is RWD, even with snow tires, would it not be as suitable for winter as a FWD? I mean sure in like Calgary it's probably fine, but just thinking a bit longer term when I have to go out of the city, etc. Would be a lot more fun though
    Anyone who tells you fwd is 'safer' or 'better' than a rwd in winter, is probably a terrible driver or heard it from other people and has never driven a rwd car. Proper winter tires and not driving like a moron, won't matter what car you drive.

I drove an is300 in winter and never had a single problem. I had a 2004 and did not have any issues you outlined in a previous post about the dash or snow mode.

Ah sweet, thanks for that info! Never drove a RWD before so it's just what I've been hearing and stuff haha!

Are there large differences between the TSX and the TL? Around the 2006ish years.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

For example, that TL is the price of a TSX, similar KM and stuff too, but I always thought the TL was "better" than the TSX, at least in terms of luxury haha. The TL has a larger engine, but is also slightly heavier, and the 0-100km times are similar between the two. The TL and TSX also look quite similar.

Finally, what do people think about an Infiniti G35x? AWD and pretty fast and luxurious, a bit more expensive though, and I'm not sure about maintenance and all that.

Thank you!!
    Last edited by Typical_Chinese; 12-02-2015 at 02:22 PM.

You're all over the place with your choices lol. Celica, RSX, TSX, Saab, Sentra, Impreza, TL, IS300 and now G35x

Get a truck bruh

Haha it's just TSX/TL, Impreza and G35x for now haha! Ditched the Celica, RSX, Saab and Sentra hahaha, and didn't end up really liking the IS300.

It'll probably be down to test-driving them, but wanted to know if there were any problems with either of the vehicles like high maintenance or something

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I was just thinking this morning, if your going to go for a TSX, the TL is right around the same price and you have a car with more power and more luxurious.

One more to throw your way, a 2003 Acura CL-S 6 Speed. A really fun manual car only produced for a single year. Extremely comfortable and reliable. Surprisingly there are a few for sale in Alberta - they are a fair bit below your budget as well. It also has a LSD from the factory and a super sweet manual.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

I'd recommend against a G35x, reliabiility is subpar, and interior fit and finish quality is poor.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 12-02-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

If reliability and lower maintenance costs are a big deal, I'd stick with the Acuras
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 12-02-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Yea reliability and maintenance is kind of a big factor for me just because I only have one car, and no garage (apartment), and because the only thing I know how to do is oil change (which isn't allowed in my apartment complex; hell I got a warning letter last time I wetsanded my headlights), I need to pay someone to fix anything that comes up!

Thanks for the headsup for the G35x's. The G37 ones are out of my budget, but man they're nice haha.

I've never even heard of the CL-S haha! Might have seen them around though.

There's a guy who PM'd me a few pictures of his 2007 2.5i, has an aftermarket STI wing on it haha, I'll upload it when I get home! Looks really clean, but prob reliability will be lower than a TSX/TL.

Currently leaning towards an Acura tbh, and I'll give the CL-S a search! If prices and KMs are similar, a TL would be the better pick out of the TSX/TL "battle" right? I'm looking at around 150-180k km cars atm

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Single it down to 1-2 different cars, become informed on what to look out for with those cars, then only search for those cars on kijiji, autotrader, etc. Otherwise you're never going to buy a car and you'll frustrate yourself.

The first gen TSX's are fantastic. They are light relative to the TL, and as a result you will use less gas and pay less in maintenance. The cost to maintain the V6 i in a TL or CL is going to be higher than the simple K24 in the TSX. One other thing to watch out for is that certain TL's and CL's have touchy transmissions. I believe only 04/05 use the weak auto but you will have to do your homework on that because it has been ages since I have looked.

I've owned a 3rd and 4th gen TL and my sister had a TSX. No matter what you chose, you won't really feel let down, but keeping your budget and living situation in mind...I would get a TSX.

My Ride
    G37X

I used a CL-S at one point and it's probably the only car I've owned that I regret getting rid of. Was an excellent car for sure. What sneek said is true though, if you're getting an automatic go to at least 06+ as that's when most of the issues were finally ironed out. Only took like 8 years.

One of the more informative threads I've read on beyond in a while! Pretty simply put, want 2 door? RSX, 4 door? TSX. Both are great choices IMO and IS 300 would be worth looking into as well, if you go the 4 door route. I've owned plenty of two doors but once I went 4 door, I could never go back to 2 door again. It's a pain in the ass in any situation lol

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by sneek
    The first gen TSX's are fantastic. They are light relative to the TL, and as a result you will use less gas and pay less in maintenance. The cost to maintain the V6 i in a TL or CL is going to be higher than the simple K24 in the TSX. One other thing to watch out for is that certain TL's and CL's have touchy transmissions. I believe only 04/05 use the weak auto but you will have to do your homework on that because it has been ages since I have looked.

I've owned a 3rd and 4th gen TL and my sister had a TSX. No matter what you chose, you won't really feel let down, but keeping your budget and living situation in mind...I would get a TSX.
    Yes your right on the TL's I think it was the 2004/2005's. Anything between 99-03 on the 3.2TL's Auto's had serious issues.

6-Speed CL's didn't have any transmission problems though, only go for the 6-speed if your getting one.

You absolutely can't go wrong with a TSX either.

My Ride
    G37X

The second one needs an OOP before you could register it, if you look into that I'd put a condition on any offer that it has to pass OOP before you'd buy it.

Yea I was thinking about that - never done an OOP before. When I bought my current car, I paid for the whatever 70-point or whatnot inspection at a mechanic at my own cost and it wasn't expensive or anything.

Is an OOP inspection expensive? And if it fails it, that'd be my money I just spent for the inspection right, just like any other inspection?

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Typical_Chinese
    Yea I was thinking about that - never done an OOP before. When I bought my current car, I paid for the whatever 70-point or whatnot inspection at a mechanic at my own cost and it wasn't expensive or anything.

Is an OOP inspection expensive? And if it fails it, that'd be my money I just spent for the inspection right, just like any other inspection?
    Thats right, they are around $130 if I recall correctly. You may be able to get a good deal on this car due to most people not wanting to do an OOP. I'd also be mindful that there might be a reason why the seller is not doing it himself.

Sweet, thanks! I'll make sure my mechanic is "qualified" for an OOP, and maybe shoot the guy an email after.

Sorry for being so indecisive..but what about 2006+ Civic SIs? I like how the 4DRs look, and these cars are fun as well! It's basically like the middle ground between a RSX Type S and TSX, no? For my budget, I can find more Civic SIs than TSXs..(and can't afford CSX Type S, though the leather is nice sigh..)

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Typical_Chinese; 12-06-2015 at 11:40 PM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

The Si has LSD so that's plus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast