Quantcast
Free upgrade to Windows 10??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Free upgrade to Windows 10???

Default Free upgrade to Windows 10???

I've had this notification in the tray fro awhile now saying I can do the download and install Windows 10 and was wondering if it's a good idea at this point. If it's buggy or most programs aren't working on it then I don't want anything to do with it. Has anyone been using it?

If its working out pretty good, and I install it, I'd like to wipe my computer clean and do a complete fresh install. It's been awhile since I've done that and the computer is running a little slow, especially on startup.
    So is it possible to make a windows install disc?

Default Re: Free upgrade to Windows 10???

Originally posted by nonofyobiz
    I've had this notification in the tray fro awhile now saying I can do the download and install Windows 10 and was wondering if it's a good idea at this point. If it's buggy or most programs aren't working on it then I don't want anything to do with it. Has anyone been using it?

If its working out pretty good, and I install it, I'd like to wipe my computer clean and do a complete fresh install. It's been awhile since I've done that and the computer is running a little slow, especially on startup.
    So is it possible to make a windows install disc?
    Been on it for just over a month. No complaints here. Had to do some tweaking though to make it more Windows 7 feel.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Its been on my laptop since June but until they get the audio crap figured out in 10 I won't use it on my media center.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thoughts on it as a stable and easy to use platform?
    Is it a huge resource hog? Or huger than Win7 and Win8?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Thoughts on it as a stable and easy to use platform?
    Is it a huge resource hog? Or huger than Win7 and Win8?

Theres a pretty long thread here about it.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=393270
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Been running since it was made available.

No issues whatsoever.

If you download the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool", you can choose how you'll do the upgrade. Essentially you can do a semi-clean install (it leaves the filesystem intact, but installs a clean copy and won't bring anything over). There's some options...

I've done both upgrades and clean installs. Was actually surprised at the lack of issues doing the upgrade.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by ?????

Theres a pretty long thread here about it.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=393270
    noted, thanks.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I uninstalled the windows update for the upgrade so it stops nagging me about it.

KB3035583 is the one to uninstall if anyone like me wants nothing to do with Windows 10.

My Ride
    Trucks

I've hated Miocrosoft for as long as I can remember. Even so, I upgraded my old Windows 7 work laptop to 10 and I actually really like it. It runs faster than 7 did. Good to see them finally doing something right.

My Ride
    Hatred

Zero issues with W10. Works great but the upgrade process is a little messed up if you want to do a clean install after upgrading. And after swapping out some hardware I had to Webchat with a Microsoft employee and get an official key, but considering it was free it's been well worth it.
    -U

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If youre using W7, its not my recommendation (you may need to upgrade/purchase other software).

W8, probably fine.

GXW control panel is a little tool Ive found that works great for blocking the W10 install more or less permanently.

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:17 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Is there a way to get treble and bass adjustment? Can't seem to figure it out

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by BensonTT
    Is there a way to get treble and bass adjustment? Can't seem to figure it out
    For standard RealTek HD device. Sound options(Playback devices)>Speaker Properties>Enhancements>Equalizer. Been there since the new audio structure in Vista.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Been on W10 for a while. No issues or complaints at all.

They may have changed this recently, but as far as I know, if you want to do a clean install, you have to do an in-place upgrade from W7 to W10 first, to avoid activation issues.

Download Microsoft's media creation tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

When you launch it, say that you want to create a disc/ISO, then after burning your disc, insert it while running Windows 7, and click "Upgrade this PC now".

Once its done, you can start using W10, or blow the hard drive away and do a fresh install. When it asks you for a product key, just hit Skip. It will activate itself on its own, cause your hardware will be registered as being activated for W10.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...d_images-57241

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/h...s-10-activated

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

On my desktop, it boots into Windows 10 much faster than 7. One of my games (Sacred 2) no longer starts up, didn't bother trying to fix it. The start menu is a little annoying at first (a lot of junk, none of my old stuff like libraries or control panel) but it's flexible, so after some tweaking it's better than before.

On my Windows 7 laptop, my wired and wireless internet didn't work after upgrading to Windows 10. Also didn't spend any time trying to fix it, just reverted back for now at least. I don't know if it's some sort of drivers, I got a lot of notifications that built-in Toshiba programs no longer worked (including one for something like wireless notification, but I wouldn't think that would be critical). It also seemed to boot into Windows 10 a lot faster though.

no problem with w10 myself either
    went from windows 8 to windows 10 on a laptop
    built in toshiba stuff didnt work by default (like the mousepad gestures, 2 finger scrolling, etc) but after installing the toshiba mousepad program again, and customizing things again, they all work fine now

prefer windows 10 to windows 8 actually now
    start menu is back (with stuff from windows 8 carried over, like the live tiles etc) but you can customize it much more

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

W10 is nice, I just hate how it's linked to an MS account; I haven't used that hotmail address in years and I get all the notifications for the junk emails that go there (Same reason why I didn't want to go W7 -> W8)

Originally posted by jwslam
    W10 is nice, I just hate how it's linked to an MS account; I haven't used that hotmail address in years and I get all the notifications for the junk emails that go there (Same reason why I didn't want to go W7 -> W8)
    You can change the e-mail of your MS account. Mine was also an old Hotmail account, and I had my XBox and shit attached to it, but I switched it to my main (non-MS) account and use that now. No issues.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Main is gmail. I don't have a main hotmail and have no intentions of opening ANOTHER email address, especially because my username is gonna end up being jwslam45789465156498646515318646515

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast