oooo

Default CBC News: Suicide rate in Alberta up 30%

2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm..._wake_of_mass/

Reading the comments is depressing. The Alberta stereotypes are rampant. Not a lot of sympathy from the rest of Canada.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by phreezee

Reading the comments is depressing. The Alberta stereotypes are rampant. Not a lot of sympathy from the rest of Canada.
    Sucks for alot of folks. There's no alot of sympathy from Albertans either. Non-Albertan aren't the only people that know to live within their means and not ride the gravy train without a care.

PS: funny article title, citing 30% specifically to draw attention. In a province with a population of 4+ million folks, going from 252 to 327 suicides between Jan-June puts things into perspective.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 12-08-2015 at 11:00 AM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by phreezee

It's /r/canada, are you surprised? That place is a cesspool.

I unsubbed from /r/canada and /r/calgary because they're both filled with the worst this place has to offer.

It's the pulse and sentiment from RoC that gets me. It's just as bad as CBC story comments. Carrying the economy has only garnered hate it seems.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

It's /r/canada,
    Well played sir.

It's jealously. Everyone has a problem with people who have more than them.

You can bet if Ontario had oil in the ground they'd be exploiting the crap out of it. The average person is a raging hypocrite.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I am going to the east coast for Christmas this year and a few of the in-laws there are proper crazies. Not looking forward to it at all.

There is one proper gem of a relative who tried to goad me, to the point of complete and utter rudeness, into arguing with him about fracturing at the thanksgiving dinner table once. With 20 other people sitting at the table staring. While i tried to be polite and move on to another subject.

The same one who uses a big 90's land cruiser to transport his solo ass around town to provide environmental assessments to companies on how they could be greener. Some people are just irony impaired.

People who have such blind hate and jealousy for what others have can't be reasoned with or educated. I have never met a bigger set of ignorant individuals than going to school in Nova Scotia. Plain spitefulness.

Nothing surprises me about what people from east of Manitoba have to say about the west any more.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

This isn't really surprising. Finances are the biggest contributor to stress, and there are a lot of stressed people out there right now.

Permanent solution to a temporary problem. Sad.

Originally posted by killramos
    I am going to the east coast for Christmas this year and a few of the in-laws there are proper crazies. Not looking forward to it at all.

There is one proper gem of a relative who tried to goad me, to the point of complete and utter rudeness, into arguing with him about fracturing at the thanksgiving dinner table once. With 20 other people sitting at the table staring. While i tried to be polite and move on to another subject.

I went through similar in Ontario. I often visited the scarious parts of Toronto with a Reform sticker on my bumper That WAS IN MY 1988 Chev sprint with spray panted black. NVM, it was a standard, so we're all good.

.I think the only reason I wasn't shot, was out out of respect for my geekness tenacity.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by sputnik
    Permanent solution to a temporary problem. Sad.
    I have heard this phrase a lot. In many cases, I believe it to be true. But it's also painting all situations with the same brush. Sometimes people have tried many different ways of getting out of their depression. Sometimes people have lived with it for years, or perhaps their whole life, and a situation like losing their job and being unable to provide for their family is enough to push them over the edge.

If you haven't had to deal with depression for years on end (and I assume you have not by your words) it's easy to assume everyone else should have the same logical and level-headed manner of thinking as yourself.

Can't live without the monies.. Understandable.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Originally posted by Kloubek

I have heard this phrase a lot. In many cases, I believe it to be true. But it's also painting all situations with the same brush. Sometimes people have tried many different ways of getting out of their depression. Sometimes people have lived with it for years, or perhaps their whole life, and a situation like losing their job and being unable to provide for their family is enough to push them over the edge.

If you haven't had to deal with depression for years on end (and I assume you have not by your words) it's easy to assume everyone else should have the same logical and level-headed manner of thinking as yourself.
    Blah with your bleeding heart post.

Death occurs. How surprising.

Bottom line: Tell that to the Oriental slaves that built the train line.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 01:21 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Seth1968

Blah with your bleeding heart post.

Death occurs. How surprising.

Bottom line: Tell that to the Oriental slaves that built the train line.
    It's actually not as "bleeding heart" as your asshat nature would make you think. I personally believe that those who are in such situations may be better off dead so their pain finally ends. (Assuming they cannot successfully get treated and lead a reasonably happy life). I don't view such situations as particularly tragic as much as they are unfortunate - besides what the family they left behind goes through.

Your comment about the "oriental slaves" shows me how ignorant you are to mental illness. Rich people have killed themselves. It's not about what one has or what they are going through, as much as it is one's ability to cope with loss, conflict, hopelessness, and sometimes endless mental anguish which can often be comparable or even worse than physical pain.

But really, there's no point in my saying anything is there? You're one of the key individuals on Beyond who is (often erroneously) set in their ways.

Actually, Chinese rail workers were paid fairly well compared to modern wages.

The $500 head tax was equivalent to two houses (Yes the cost of a house back then was $250 apiece), which pretty much every Chinese paid off within a decade. Nowadays you have to work at least 10 years to get a house. White, black, Azn, other - Nowadays we are all equally screwed, lol. Yes, if you have $1 in assets above liabilities in the year 2015, you are positively rich.

They also had much more liberal drug policies here compared to China at the time, so many had a hell of a party over here. Work hard play hard.

Now compare that to a Bolivian silver miner, and there is no comparison. I'd actually say that far more white people in Canada got screwed (lost family fortunes and then died) during the gold rush. The white people who really got screwed were those who settled in Newfoundland instead of New York.

Side Note: I'm still not convinced that Donald Trump is actually net positive in assets.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-08-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

BTW: I could get into an entire tirade about how Labrador/Newfoundland screwed themselves over by being excessively selective about who was allowed to immigrate *cough* white rich people only *cough* who became poor white people in two centuries because they based their entire sense of worth of really big patches of non-productive green lawn (the great fallacy of land ownership)

No, no sympathy from the Newfies - they have been in the ghetto since the cod fisheries collapsed. We also sold them on the idea of offshore drilling just when oil started this recent collapse.

I'm surprised they aren't out with pitchforks.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-08-2015 at 09:35 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Didn't need a new thread. RCMP struggling with how to commemorate members who take thier own lives.
    Name:  Screenshot_20191009-071304_Chrome.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  40.8 KB
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...cide-1.5307588
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast