Quantcast
Chemical flavorings found in e-cigarettes linked to lung disease - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chemical flavorings found in e-cigarettes linked to lung disease

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Default For the Beyond vapers

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...rette-smokers/

Turns out we were right after all.

Diacetyl, a flavoring chemical linked to cases of severe respiratory disease, was found in more than 75 percent of flavored electronic cigarettes and refill liquids tested by researchers at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Two other related, potentially harmful compounds were also found in many of the tested flavors, which included varieties with potential appeal to young people such as cotton candy, “Fruit Squirts,” and cupcake.

The study was published online today in Environmental Health Perspectives.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the flavoring industry have warned workers about diacetyl because of the association between inhaling the chemical and the debilitating respiratory disease bronchiolitis obliterans, colloquially known as “popcorn lung” because it first appeared in workers who inhaled artificial butter flavor in microwave popcorn processing facilities.

“Recognition of the hazards associated with inhaling flavoring chemicals started with ‘popcorn lung’ over a decade ago. However, diacetyl and other related flavoring chemicals are used in many other flavors beyond butter-flavored popcorn, including fruit flavors, alcohol flavors, and, we learned in our study, candy-flavored e-cigarettes,” said lead author Joseph Allen, assistant professor of exposure assessment sciences.

There are currently more than 7,000 varieties of flavored e-cigarettes and e-juice (nicotine-containing liquid that is used in refillable devices) on the market. Although the popularity and use of e-cigarettes continues to increase, there is a lack of data on their potential health effects. E-cigarettes are not currently regulated, although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a proposed rule to include e-cigarettes under its authority to regulate certain tobacco and nicotine-containing products.

Allen and colleagues tested 51 types of flavored e-cigarettes and liquids sold by leading brands for the presence of diacetyl, acetoin, and 2,3-pentanedione, two related flavoring compounds that the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association lists as “high priority,” i.e., they may pose a respiratory hazard in the workplace. Each e-cigarette was inserted into a sealed chamber attached to a lab-built device that drew air through the e-cigarette for eight seconds at a time with a resting period of 15 or 30 second between each draw. The air stream was then analyzed.

At least one of the three chemicals was detected in 47 of the 51 flavors tested. Diacetyl was detected above the laboratory limit of detection in 39 of the flavors tested. Acetoin and 2,3-pentanedione were detected in 46 and 23 and of the flavors, respectively.

“Since most of the health concerns about e-cigarettes have focused on nicotine, there is still much we do not know about e-cigarettes. In addition to containing varying levels of the addictive substance nicotine, they also contain other cancer-causing chemicals, such as formaldehyde, and as our study shows, flavoring chemicals that can cause lung damage,” said study co-author David Christiani, Elkan Blout Professor of Environmental Genetics.

Other Harvard Chan School authors included Skye Flanigan, Mallory LeBlanc, Jose Vallarino, Piers MacNaughton, and James Stewart.

This study was supported by an NIH/NIEHS Center grant.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My lungs feel shitty if i spend to much time in a sauna ( just water vapour ) i don't know how anyone could argue that vaping anything was good for you.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by killramos
    i don't know how anyone could argue that vaping anything was good for you.
    Smoke cigarette or vape. Pretty easy to argue.

My Ride

i don't know how anyone could argue that vaping anything was good for you.
    People will ignore facts to argue their points. I know a few people who think vaping is actually good for you. *facepalm*

Another example are pot smokers who seem to think the smoke has no health effects.

Sorry I guess I read that wrong. Maybe not good but I'd say better.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

My lungs feel shitty if i spend to much time in a sauna ( just water vapour ) i don't know how anyone could argue that vaping anything was good for you.
    I find that interesting, I can sit in a wet sauna for a couple hours in a night (with minor breaks in between) and I feel fantastic. I look forward to it, always feel great after.

Vaping has always struck me as idiocy. I am seeing a girl who smokes (I do not) and when she started trying vaping I told her not around me, I'd rather you smoke. As far as "unknown" chemicals go I trust a cigarette over a vapour thing. Quit smoking or keep smoking but to hell with the vaping thanks.

On a side note though, on the pot smoke related comment, how damaging can using a vaporizer for weed really be I wonder? Obviously any smoke is bad smoke but relatively "clean" vapor from weed, how bad is it.....?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

On a side note though, on the pot smoke related comment, how damaging can using a vaporizer for weed really be I wonder? Obviously any smoke is bad smoke but relatively "clean" vapor from weed, how bad is it.....?
    Weed is from the earth. God put this here for me and you. Take advantage man, take advantage.

My Ride

Originally posted by roopi
    Weed is from the earth. God put this here for me and you. Take advantage man, take advantage.
    Can't tell if trolling........
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by roopi

Concrete argument

My Ride
    Blue boy

Stoners live and stoners die but in the end we're all gonna die

My Ride

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Stoners live and stoners die but in the end we're all gonna die
    Sure... just some more early than others and with much higher medical bills that the ordinary taxpayer is going to have to pay ... but I digress

This is sort of old news isn't it?

There have been companies that been selling their liquids that are "diketone free" for at least a year.

http://thecleanvape.com/

I think the new study is about free radicals..
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/e-cigar...arns-1.2686874
    Curse you imageshack..

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I vape. I still think it's unlikely it can be anywhere close to as bad as smoking, for probably pretty clear reasons. With that said, it stands to reason that not putting anything foreign in your lungs is the best choice and anyone who believes otherwise is either fooling themselves, or has an IQ in the single digits. The idea is to replace smoking with a less dangerous alternative.

I don't understand why they would do a solid, single pull for 8 seconds in the test. At standard power, this means the coil would have gotten extremely hot, thereby bringing the fluid to a temperature that virtually no vaper gets to. When I take a pull, it's usually around 4-4.5 seconds. At that point, I can already feel the heat forming. 8 seconds would be impossible on my particular mod, as it would just get too hot on the tip to want to have your lips on it.... besides the fact that nobody I know who vapes could pull in that much comfortably. That's the time it takes you to make one full, deep breath and typically, people don't vape like that.

Additionally, I see nothing in the article that indicates what power they set the machine to. Perhaps they indicate it in the test, but if the power is as incorrectly set as the draw time, I'm actually surprised the results were not even worse.

While this study is certainly concerning, it is seriously flawed in its testing methods. A lot more testing needs to be done before this can be deemed safe or unsafe, and perhaps regulation on the juices is needed as well.

I find that interesting, I can sit in a wet sauna for a couple hours in a night (with minor breaks in between) and I feel fantastic. I look forward to it, always feel great after.

Vaping has always struck me as idiocy. I am seeing a girl who smokes (I do not) and when she started trying vaping I told her not around me, I'd rather you smoke. As far as "unknown" chemicals go I trust a cigarette over a vapour thing. Quit smoking or keep smoking but to hell with the vaping thanks.

Your side note is directly conflicting with your point.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I vape. I still think it's unlikely it can be anywhere close to as bad as smoking, for probably pretty clear reasons. With that said, it stands to reason that not putting anything foreign in your lungs is the best choice and anyone who believes otherwise is either fooling themselves, or has an IQ in the single digits. The idea is to replace smoking with a less dangerous alternative.

I don't understand why they would do a solid, single pull for 8 seconds in the test. At standard power, this means the coil would have gotten extremely hot, thereby bringing the fluid to a temperature that virtually no vaper gets to. When I take a pull, it's usually around 4-4.5 seconds. At that point, I can already feel the heat forming. 8 seconds would be impossible on my particular mod, as it would just get too hot on the tip to want to have your lips on it.... besides the fact that nobody I know who vapes could pull in that much comfortably. That's the time it takes you to make one full, deep breath and typically, people don't vape like that.

Additionally, I see nothing in the article that indicates what power they set the machine to. Perhaps they indicate it in the test, but if the power is as incorrectly set as the draw time, I'm actually surprised the results were not even worse.

While this study is certainly concerning, it is seriously flawed in its testing methods. A lot more testing needs to be done before this can be deemed safe or unsafe, and perhaps regulation on the juices is needed as well.
    I agree. I vape too and am also an ex smoker.

The studies to date are generally pretty shitty and based on not a lot of history. A lot of them are bias in one way or another. The doom and gloom articles are usually sponsored by tobacco lobby groups if you look hard enough.

I chose to vape to help me quit smoking and it worked. I feel better, taste better, breath better. My quality of life has improved all around by making the switch. Could it be bad? Maybe. Could it be worse? Highly doubt it. But i know its effect on me (and my wallet) so i am going to keep doing it until i am down enough to cut it out.

My Ride

Originally posted by spike98
    Your side note is directly conflicting with your point.
    How so? Is it because I didn't add the word nicotine to vaping? I don't really see how weed and tobacco replacement juice vaping are equals. Are they?
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think its funny how people need scientifically peer reviewed studies done in ways that they personally approve of in order to accept any criticism of what is very obviously an expensive self destructive habit.

But that's just my opinion.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Equals, no. But again, it falls back to whether it is "safe" to regularly inhale anything but clean air.

I'm not sure that was really your point though... perhaps you meant safe, as opposed to smoking it by burning. In that regard, it is almost certain not to be worse.

How so? Is it because I didn't add the word nicotine to vaping? I don't really see how weed and tobacco replacement juice vaping are equals. Are they?
    Because the are both vaporizing materials. Sure there is differences as the materials are different but you seem so obviously offended by one yet defend another.

It just seems conflicting to me.

My Ride

It's the unknown chemicals that offend me, not the act.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Here is an article outlining that most studies are shit, news agencies like to sensationalize, and a highlight that we really dont know what vaporizers do.

http://blog.mtbakervapor.com/the-truth-about-diacetyl/

TL;DR - We know Diacetyl causes bronchiolitis when inhaled in a powered form. We do NOT know and can only theorize that it may do when inhaled when mixed into a liquid and vaporized. The FDA agree's and needs more research.
    Last edited by spike98; 12-10-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast