Quantcast
Are you a blood donor? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Are you a blood donor?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am a frequent donor

31 18.56%
  • I have given one or more times

34 20.36%
  • I have attempted but unable due to medical/other reasons

29 17.37%
  • No

73 43.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you a blood donor?

My Ride
    Exploded.

The Mayflower was an arduous trip I would assume.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I get crazy dizzy/faint even when I just a small amount of blood sampled for testing... I don't know if it is just a physiological thing with needles/blood (I hated needles when I was young) or something else that is medical in nature.

Last time I had a blood sample I ended up getting so light headed I had to lay down for nearly an hour before I could even walk around. I can't even imagine what giving blood would do to me.
    Yea man I'm the same. It really sucks. It's called vasovagal response I believe. For me it's the needle as well as the blood.

I was fine as a kid, then around 17 I had to get a blood test as I ended up having mono, blacked out in the chair and the nurse had to catch me from slamming onto the ground haha.

Ever since then I have to warn them and I have to lay down when getting a blood test.

Thought I was over it about 3 years ago but passed out getting a vaccination.

Wish I could give blood, I might try some day just for the hell of it to see if I can make it through. It's actually kind of a relaxing way to pass out haha. Kind of fade to black and wake up feeling all tingly.
    Last edited by J-hop; 05-09-2017 at 11:11 PM.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

When do they move to Eau claire?

Originally posted by BigDL
    In the next few months I believe.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by BigDL
    Who is "they"? The main clinic?

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Who is "they"? The main clinic?
    Yupp.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I tried to sign up ages ago but they would not let me.
    They thought I might have mad cow disease.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by J-hop
    Yea man I'm the same. It really sucks. It's called vasovagal response I believe. For me it's the needle as well as the blood.

I was fine as a kid, then around 17 I had to get a blood test as I ended up having mono, blacked out in the chair and the nurse had to catch me from slamming onto the ground haha.

Ever since then I have to warn them and I have to lay down when getting a blood test.

Thought I was over it about 3 years ago but passed out getting a vaccination.

Wish I could give blood, I might try some day just for the hell of it to see if I can make it through. It's actually kind of a relaxing way to pass out haha. Kind of fade to black and wake up feeling all tingly.
    Glad I'm not the only pussy around here.

First time I passed out was in high school giving blood. Had no idea I would get so woozy at the sight of a needle. Passed the fuck out giving blood, pretty embarrassing. I can't even watch a movie with needles. Almost passed out watching that one scene in one of the Saw movies where they were thrown in a pit of needles. Watch them cut off a limb with blood everywhere, zero problems. So bizarre.

Nowadays when I have to get my blood checked yearly, I have a routine that I explain to the nurses. I'd have Metallica cranked in my headphones, look away, and they would tap my forehead when it's done. Mentally, I'm completely focuses on the music to the point where I don't even realize they're tapping my forehead haha. Pretty much the only way I can handle a needle without passing out.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Just a thought, a buddy of mine had that same issue and his sister was one of those cognitive behavioural therapists and got him over it.

Go on eBay and get yourself one of those fake needles they use in movies. The ones with the spring inside and the blunt tip, so even though it presses in on the skin and gives the illusion that it's penetrating, it doesn't actually.

Do that to yourself a couple hundred times to get used to the visual and you should be good to go.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

They need to address the lack of parking. Once I don't have to pay for a few hours of on street parking to donate, I'll go back.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    NC1

well I'm not extreme like raj but when I go for blood work I simply look the other way. i do not like getting blood taken out of my body.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by FraserB
    They need to address the lack of parking. Once I don't have to pay for a few hours of on street parking to donate, I'll go back.
    There is free parking at the current location, I've only encountered a parking issue only once in the 155 times I've been there and even then I got free parking in their alternate lot about a block away. There's also a 2 hour on street parking zone right across 13th Avenue - I've used that for free as well.

The new location will have free parking as well - that was a major concern of mine with respect to the new Eau Claire mall location but I have been reassured that parking will be free for donors.
    Last edited by speedog; 05-10-2017 at 12:25 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by speedog
    There is free parking at the current location, I've only encountered a parking issue only once in the 155 times I've been there and even then I got free parking in their alternate lot about a block away. There's also a 2 hour on street parking zone right across 13th Avenue - I've used that for free as well.
    Yeah there's free parking, but there's not a lot of stalls and the surrounding areas are taken during the day. My sister got a parking ticket the last time she donated there cause she had nowhere else to park and won't go again.

Originally posted by rage2

Glad I'm not the only pussy around here.

First time I passed out was in high school giving blood. Had no idea I would get so woozy at the sight of a needle. Passed the fuck out giving blood, pretty embarrassing. I can't even watch a movie with needles. Almost passed out watching that one scene in one of the Saw movies where they were thrown in a pit of needles. Watch them cut off a limb with blood everywhere, zero problems. So bizarre.

Nowadays when I have to get my blood checked yearly, I have a routine that I explain to the nurses. I'd have Metallica cranked in my headphones, look away, and they would tap my forehead when it's done. Mentally, I'm completely focuses on the music to the point where I don't even realize they're tapping my forehead haha. Pretty much the only way I can handle a needle without passing out.
    Haha yea I'm the same with needles in movies, and I also vividly remember that needle pit scene. I think that was the last saw movie I watched to be honest haha

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I would and would love to, unfortunately I have a fear of hypodermic needles. I get my inoculations, etc, but it is terrifying to me.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

Wife and I are regular donors too.

Just wanted to say thank you to all that do donate, we have seen firsthand how it really helps people and families out!

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I am not, it's a commie conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Should start a new poll with "Cannot give due to psychological reasons"

My Ride
    taxi

Originally posted by jwslam
    Should start a new poll with "Cannot give due to psychological reasons"
    hehe right

I'd love to though I'm too thin and they won't let me

Big padded envelope in the mail today, maybe I'll do the banquet when I hit 200 - didn't go at 100 or 150...
    Name:  150pd.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  141.3 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast