Quantcast
Are you a blood donor? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Are you a blood donor?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am a frequent donor

31 18.56%
  • I have given one or more times

34 20.36%
  • I have attempted but unable due to medical/other reasons

29 17.37%
  • No

73 43.71%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a blood donor?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Are you a blood donor?

See poll. Came up in a conversation recently and just wanna gauge the numbers for our community.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

i wanted to, but doctor advised otherwise based on health. Digestive issues makes me borderline anemic. that was a few years ago, so I wouldn't mind checking again.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Blood donor and on the stem cell list.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I'm at about 22 donations now. Try and go as often as possible.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm on the stem cell list as well.

I have to double-check the rules on donating blood if you have tattoos.

Originally posted by flipstah
    I'm on the stem cell list as well.

I have to double-check the rules on donating blood if you have tattoos.
    Having tattoos does not disqualify you from donating blood but there is a period after which you get a tattoo in which you can't donate.

Probably has been 20+ years since I donated whole blood, am pretty slow for 2015 with only 4 large volume platelet donations this year. 144 lifetime, mostly platelets.
    Last edited by speedog; 12-12-2015 at 04:33 PM.

My Ride
    My Bike

I used to donate blood, but a brief bout of cancer prevents me from donating for the rest of my life. If I could go on the stem cell list I would.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I donate as much as I can but have to keep my marital status a secret, judging happens otherwise 😳
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector; 2015 Jeep Wrangler

I would love to but unfortunately cannot, due to being in a tattoo shop every 3-4 months for the last 4/5 years.

Wish I could, I think it's silly if you are going to reputable shops and I am pretty sure they test the blood before it goes into reserves.

Originally posted by kragnorok
    I would love to but unfortunately cannot, due to being in a tattoo shop every 3-4 months for the last 4/5 years.

Wish I could, I think it's silly if you are going to reputable shops and I am pretty sure they test the blood before it goes into reserves.
    After the number of donations I've done over 3+ decades, I have seen the forms and associated questions evolve over those years and I have always questioned some of those questions.

I partially agree with what you're saying but the bigger picture is that the people receiving these blood products are health compromised in one way or another and even the risk of them having to fight another disease or such is something that just isn't fair to them.

So, higher risk activities/areas will get you knocked off of the list. Hell, I donate platelets and if I take an Ibuprofen or Aspirin some 48 or 72 hours before my donation, then I can't donate because that can act as a blood thinner and people receiving platelets are usually dealing with bleeding disorders. So to some, one simple Aspirin might seem quite harmless but it could mean the difference of life or death to that person who is receiving that platelet donation.

To this end, my wife and I were on a cruise through the Caribbean many, many moons ago which included a day stop in Mexico and we opted to stay on the ship because if we had stepped foot on Mexican ground we would have been unable to donate for at least 6 or 9 months. Seemed silly to me as malaria I believe was the main issue and to me, a mosquito could very easily flew across and bit me on the boat. But because we followed their rules, we were able to continue to regularly donate platelets.

The shittiest thing about this with respect to platelet donations, any woman who has ever been pregnant can not ever donate platelets, forget the reason why but that certainly takes a lot of potential donors off of the platelet list and this is something that has changed just in the past few years.

Originally posted by kragnorok
    The tests are not perfect and there are periods in time where you can be infected and infectious but not show up in the screening. It's all very much based on science not wishy washy political correctness feel good bullshit. You can't donate if you have been to the dentist either(72 hours or so)...Whole point of this is prevent you from possibly getting ill and then giving a cancer patient who already has not immune system the flue or whatever you managed to get from having your gums knicked.

In short your right to give blood does not supersede the receivers right to not die from receiving your blood.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    You can't donate if you have been to the dentist either(72 hours or so)...
    Nope, that's not true at all. I've donated literally the day after going to the dentist multiple times. It depends on what you went there for. You just have to tell them during the consultation and they'll decide if it's okay for you to donate.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Not allowed to donate cause I was born in France. They think I might have mad cow disease.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Originally posted by zipdoa
    Not allowed to donate cause I was born in France. They think I might have mad cow disease.
    My dad studied in England in the 70's before I was born. Because of that my sisters and I can't give blood either because of potential for mad cow.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by BananaFob

My dad studied in England in the 70's before I was born. Because of that my sisters and I can't give blood either because of potential for mad cow.
    Haha wild! I didn't realize it was THAT strict! So basically if you ate food in Europe during a certain time period, you can't donate blood in Canada?
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    2016 Hyundai Tucson

Originally posted by BananaFob

Rules for Europe apply if you have lived there for 3 or more months between 1980 and 1996 I believe.

Originally posted by zipdoa

Haha wild! I didn't realize it was THAT strict! So basically if you ate food in Europe during a certain time period, you can't donate blood in Canada?
    No, you would've had to lived there for a certain amount of time. Just visiting and eating food there doesn't permanently disqualify you as a blood donor.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I really wish I would...

I'm perfectly fine with needles. I'm not fine with the thing sticking in my arm for a period of time... just makes me feel sick. Even the thought of it makes my body ache. I don't understand.

Ginger blood is probably toxic anyways.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    dumpster trains

I was until the found out about my bicuspid aortic valve. Then they rejected me.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast