Quantcast
California cop shoots drunk driver - no charges - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California cop shoots drunk driver - no charges

My Ride
    oooo

Default California cop shoots drunk driver - no charges

I get he's probably pissed off because he is chasing him but don't see why he needed to double tap the guy. I don't see how he "accidently" shot the guy - looks pretty intentional to me.

Apparently the blurry spot is his wife (dead) that got tossed out when he rolled his suv.

Fuck him for driving drunk, but probably didn't need to get shot or am I missing something?

News article

2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Ford

it was like walking dead and a zombie popped up and rick destroyed it.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm no gun expert, but I've seen friends shoot, so unless he's Robocop, there's no way he can unholster, aim and shoot that fast, so I can believe it was accidental.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ford F150

An accidental double tap one second after upholstering? I'd believe it if both bullets missed. But his actions seemed very rehearsed. He had no reaction whatsoever, double tap, holster, walk over and look at guy.

Get that gun fixed either way, too light of a trigger action lol
    Last edited by CompletelyNumb; 12-14-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    An accidental double tap one second after upholstering?
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by cjblair
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

That was some wild west shit. I don't see how that couldn't have been intentional.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Pretty good shot if it was intentional. Ethan Hunt would be impressed.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Ramsey said on Thursday that Feaster didn't mention the shooting until 11 minutes after backup and paramedics arrived.
    To me, that really taints the situation. That doesn't display any care or consideration for preserving a life (unless there's more to the story, which there is because this is in the media....), especially if you accidentally shot someone.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    An accidental double tap one second after upholstering? I'd believe it if both bullets missed. But his actions seemed very rehearsed. He had no reaction whatsoever, double tap, holster, walk over and look at guy.

Get that gun fixed either way, too light of a trigger action lol
    Glock semi-auto pistols have a trigger reset, where you fire the first shot and the subsequent shots only require a slight release of the trigger and then you can pull back for your next shots without full action of the trigger. It's super useful when you need to accurately and quickly get some rounds downrange, but if you screw up and have a sympathetic reaction to someone else shooting, are losing your mind, or simply a maroon, you will fire a lot of shots very quickly. I can empty a 15 round mag in seconds using trigger reset, and have a very tight grouping. It's a little scary how well it works.

As far as the rest of this goes.. I'm really reluctant lately to weigh in on these issues, as it seems video still doesn't exonerate or indict anyone to the fullest extent. There is still something missing, and everyone has an opinion about it despite what may appear to be a cut and dry case. However, this one is a very good example of "what the fuuuuuuu..."

I can see how he can draw and shoot twice in such a short time frame using a Glock. I can't see him unholstering, aiming, and shooting twice accurately in that time frame. However, he did have his hand on his pistol while approaching (which believe it or not, is actually a slower draw and up to target time) and indicates he was prepared to use it, or mentally was in the frame of mind that he was GOING to use it. His quick reholstering, and then not telling anyone for 11 minutes is certainly bizarre, but I can tell you having (unfortunately) been involved in a few OIS through my career, I've seen people act bizarre afterwards.

This one is totally out in left field. Prime facie, yeah, he out and out dropped the guy with two shots without justification. Maybe there is a video analysis that shows he was surprised and based on his testimony, gives reason to believe he didn't mean to do it. I'm not defending one position or the other, just throwing it out there.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    Bicycle

No gun nut but to squeeze off 2 rounds that fast, skill or equipment?

He is a heavy cop tho, there is no way he can make it a foot chase and probably why he ended it right there.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    No gun nut but to squeeze off 2 rounds that fast, skill or equipment?
    Read the post directly above yours. Phil talks about how the equipment is a big influencer.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by phil98z24
    His quick reholstering, and then not telling anyone for 11 minutes is certainly bizarre, but I can tell you having (unfortunately) been involved in a few OIS through my career, I've seen people act bizarre afterwards.

This one is totally out in left field. Prime facie, yeah, he out and out dropped the guy with two shots without justification. Maybe there is a video analysis that shows he was surprised and based on his testimony, gives reason to believe he didn't mean to do it. I'm not defending one position or the other, just throwing it out there.
    I imagine the entire thing would have been mentally stressful even WITHOUT the shooting, everyone's brain reacts differently to highly charged situations and I would imagine training can only be so helpful in how you react to things. Not a situation anyone would likely want to be in.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I was wrong. Even Robocop needs time to aim before shooting. (btw - NSFW haha)

https://vimeo.com/86014703
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

As Phil said, most semi auto pistols have a trigger reset, some shorter and different that others. For example, striker fired pistols like the Glock, Smith M/P, and so on, have the same trigger press mechanics with every shot. There is still a reset system that re engages the striker/firing mechanism, which occurs as the finger releases the trigger.

Not all pistols work the same internally. Sig double action/single action pistols are a prime example. First shot the hammer is down, and is a long double action trigger pull which takes much more force to press. Subsequent shots the hammer stays in the rear position, which is now "single action", where the trigger press is much shorter and lighter, 1/2 or more typically in terms of weight and distance. Sigs and other pistols also have options for "short reset triggers", which magnify the effect Phil was speaking of as well. So, many factors at play depending on what handgun was used in this shooting, in terms of it being an accidental discharge. I searched several articles, and none made mention of the type of pistol the officer used, which is very relevant to this particular discussion regarding the trigger and pressing it under stress. If the officer was using any type of pistol, there are explanations for the 2nd shot, but especially if he was using a DA/SA pistol where the subsequent shots after the first require a much lighter/shorter trigger press, which makes a 2nd accidental discharge even more likely.

When you're under stress and shooting, that trigger press becomes like pressing warm air, a 12# New York Glock trigger can feel like 1/2 a pound when the adrenaline dump is on the march. Also, another feature of the body's response is less circulation to the extremities, which means the fine motor skills of the trigger finger can be greatly compromised under stress (sometimes).

It could have been a simple mistake of breaking one of the 4 major rules - finger on the trigger before making the conscious decision to fire. Booger picker number 1 on the trigger before it should be is responsible for the lions share of negligent discharges and accidental shootings.

The officer made a sort of startled stutter step right as/after he shot, which does allow for the possibility that he just screwed up unintentionally IMO. The body's startle response always activates in a surprise shooting event, if you're the target mostly, but it can also be if you're the shooter (again, negligent discharges are by their nature a surprise). When I taught at Sig Sauer Academy, part of the syllabus for adult learning in a CQB environment is the body's startle response and how to manage it effectively. Those that study the science of how the body reacts to unexpected gunshots will immediately point to how this officer's body reacted I would wager, and declare it an unintentional discharge. Mistake, probably, and a bad one, but I'd wager not an execution just based on this fact alone - again as Phil stated hearing his statement would be interesting regarding this.

I don't know what gun he was using, but if that first trigger pull was DA, I would find it hard to believe it was by accident - you need to use a decent amount of force. On the other hand, it happened so fast and accurately that it's also hard to believe he did it on purpose unless he is quite the marksman. Either way I don't think anyone will miss a drunk driver off the road.

As always, we will never know all the details, the exact situation, etc. High pressure events like this effect everyone differently, and none of us were there to read the situation.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by rage2
    I was wrong. Even Robocop needs time to aim before shooting. (btw - NSFW haha)

https://vimeo.com/86014703
    ..that escalated quickly

The officer is looking around for his spent shell casings. If the reports are true he also failed to notify emergency responders for 11 minutes that he had shot the suspect. These are all actions of a guilty person in my mind.

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

Officer Who Mistakenly Shot DUI Suspect Won't Face Charges

When backup arrived on the scene, Feaster did not mention anything about having fired his weapon. According to Ramsey, Feaster notified his commanding officer about the discharge only after Thomas’ gunshot wound was found.

As the commanding officer suggested an investigator return to Canteena and try to find out if Thomas had been shot at the bar, Feaster revealed that he may have shot Thomas.
    Are you effing kidding me? This man is a disgrace and should never have a gun or badge again.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Wait... so this was a pursuit? That sort of changes things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast