Quantcast
"The Imposter". 2012 WTF? Documentary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: "The Imposter". 2012 WTF? Documentary

Default "The Imposter". 2012 WTF? Documentary

From IMDB:

A documentary centered on a young man in Spain who claims to a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who has been missing for 3 years.
    From Wikipedia:

The film has received almost universal critical acclaim and gained a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 95%.[5] The film received the Grand Jury's Knight Documentary Competition at the 2012 Miami International Film Festival,[6] and was nominated for the Grand Jury's World Cinema - Documentary prize at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.[7] Besides, it won the Filmmakers Award at the 2012 Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival.[8] The film has been in official selection for several international film festivals, including: South by Southwest,[9] Edinburgh International Film Festival,[10] True/False Film Festival,[11] New Zealand International Film Festivals,[12] Sydney Film Festival,[13] Revelation Perth International Film Festival,[14] Seattle International Film Festival,[15] and San Sebastián International Film Festival.[16]

It was nominated for six British Independent Film Awards for Best Film, Best Director, Best Debut Director, Best Technical Achievement- Editing, Best Achievement in Production, and Best Documentary. It was also shortlisted for an Academy Award for Best Documentary.[17] It was nominated for 2 BAFTA's at the 66th British Academy Film Awards for Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer and Best Documentary, winning the first.

UK-based film magazine Total Film gave the film a five-star review (denoting 'outstanding'): "Creepier than Catfish and as cinematic as Man on Wire, this is an unnerving story immaculately told and a strong contender for doc of the year."[18]

Peter Bradshaw, film critic for The Guardian, awarded the film five stars, writing, "This film is as gripping as any white-knuckle thriller: it is one of the year's best."[19]
    I watched it last night and just gets more bizarre and compelling right up to a creepy twist near the end. Today, I'm still saying WTF?

I'm interested in hearing some opinions on the doc. As usual, I've got mine lol, but I'll refrain for now.

It's available as a torrent, or can be streamed from here:

https://vimeo.com/73984329

My Ride
    '03 ep3

I watched it a couple years ago and was like WTF, how can people be so stupid?

Different eye color, different skin color, different hair colour, looks 10 years older, and has a french accent. Yep, that's our Nicholas

Also, what I find most brilliant about this documentary, is that the con man cons the viewers.