Quantcast
Life In Mexico - Ask Questions? (might be a blog?) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life In Mexico - Ask Questions? (might be a blog?)

My Ride
    Eclipse

Default Life In Mexico - Ask Questions? (might be a blog?)

So I'm sure some people knew how I lived in budapest for nearly 2 years (Highly recommended) I'm now currently living in playa Del carmen.

I've decided to pretty much answer all questions regarding Mexico and just give up updates on life here on the "what is good" and "what is bad" in Mexico.

I've been pretty blessed I guess being able to be in most countries in the world cause of online pokerz.

The good:

The girls are hot
    Most people speak english, except like cabbies, some places away from the main spots.
    The weather is great
    The food is cheap away from the super touristy places

The bad:
    our old place was super nice but it seemed like everything was falling apart. (I'll get more into this)
    The prices are really expensive at the bars on like 5th ave and calle 12
    Having any house work done here, or having something fixed is incredible difficult
    The internet is very bad in some places and its monopolized which makes it even more difficult.

So We were living in a complex at Sabbia (really nice btw) and it was a penthouse (will attach photos later) with a rooftop jacuzzi and pretty reasonably priced. we were super excited and loved it, but there was so many little things that kept breaking that it got very annoying after awhile.

The jacuzzi was leaking at first, okay no big deal
    Then the door to my room wasn't closing..
    Then the fan stopped working in my room.
    The the water issues where they cut off the water in the city...

The Sabbia View

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    click for larger version

Etc etc all the little things add up and make it pretty frustrating, we had the place till December 15th and moved into a brand new building now, it was suppose to be Finished on November 25th and we are actually the only tentants in the building right now.

So last night we get into the place and it looks great, the only downside it seemed that the rooftop pool isn't finished and the elevator isn't working.. again small things in the new apartment.

So we move on to today I get woken up at 7am becuase of a hammer just smashing concrete till 11am, i finally get out of bed frustrated and the power goes out for a minute with that the internet cuts out for 3hours.

I'm sitting here super frustrated now, so I decided to use the Brand new washing machine in the place, yah that doesn't work.

Photos of the new apartment.

click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    The view from the rooftop pool, the pool is not ready yet and looks dirty but you get the idea..

click for larger version

Anyways it's really incredible how bad the mantinence is on luxury apartments here and how there can be so many issues with a new apartment..

We looked at an apartment with a really sick view but it was just on the edge of the city but I ended up taking a photo of it, it was only like 200usd/month more but we didn't think it was worth it...

click for larger version

I had a beyond member join me for a weekish in playa..
    click for larger version

I've really been trying to learn Spanish im @ 15% fluent on Duolingo but its sooo difficult since everyone will speak English to you here but I'm starting to understand/remember a lot more words now and will keep progressing hopefully..

Will try to reply on a regular basis with things to do/see since I haven't really been anywhere in the 6 weeks here.. haha
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

What's a place like that cost per month?
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Lease

Nice pics. Good to see ur having fun

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by adamc

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I was actually looking at Playa Del Carmen for a vacation spot. Would you recommend it? How busy are the beaches? Are there any quiet spots within a reasonable distance where you could lay around and swim etc and not see another person?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by carson blocks
    I was actually looking at Playa Del Carmen for a vacation spot. Would you recommend it? How busy are the beaches? Are there any quiet spots within a reasonable distance where you could lay around and swim etc and not see another person?
    Playa is great. Been to Cancun twice, Playa once. Definitely recommend it

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

How do you manage to play online poker for a living with flaky internet?
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Huh..

If I was to live in Playa I would do the following;

1. Buy a week stay at a nice 5+ star resort in Playacar
    2. Buy a condo in Playacar
    3. Keep the bracelet for the entire time you live in Playa
    4. Eat and drink free & profit?

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    Huh..

lol GOLD
    Built with Chopsticks

All I got out of that post is that all the hard-working Mexicans move to America.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Any recommended hotels / resorts in Playa Del Carmen? I'm trying to keep costs reasonable but don't want a dirty, shitty place with shitty food. Are the restaurants good and reasonably priced or should I go all inclusive?

Thanks

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

^ Try the RIU Palace. Best bang for your buck. You have access to 5 resorts, town is a 5 minute walk away and it's just awesome.

You should be able to get down their for a week for less than $1500 (All inclusive) if you aren't booking during peak times.

My Ride
    MDX

Don sirloin chorizo tacos near coco bongos is awesome.

Originally posted by Mibz
    All I got out of that post is that all the hard-working Mexicans move to America.

What is Trump complaining about.

I wish I had unlimited access to Home Depot cash-only contractors.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 11:58 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by adamc
    Well since we are renting for Christmas and BPM a short-term rental would run for around 4-5,000USD a month..

We rented for 6 months and it came to $1,700usd + electricity. it's usually around $200/night though

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Nice pics. Good to see ur having fun
    Gracias

There is no beaches around here that wont have anybody on it but places like Mamitas will have a lot more people then other places. I haven't been but I heard if you drive around 20minutes you should find some good beaches with not many people.

Originally posted by nzwasp
    How do you manage to play online poker for a living with flaky internet?
    Trust me I had no idea it was going to be this bad, I do have two backup internets as well, and still want to rip out my hair sometimes, this new internet has been better, fingers crossed..

Huh..

Dude this is sooo smart, omg.. i actually might do this..

Originally posted by Mibz
    Not true for sure, they are all pretty hard working for what I've seen but very unorganized..

Me getting a text today that someone is coming tomorrow to take photos of the apartment...
    click for larger version

Any recommended hotels / resorts in Playa Del Carmen? I'm trying to keep costs reasonable but don't want a dirty, shitty place with shitty food. Are the restaurants good and reasonably priced or should I go all inclusive?

Thanks
    The resturants are prob better on the streets than the hotels. The thing with the hotels is that most of them are pretty far away from Cancun or Playa Del Carmen.

^ Try the RIU Palace. Best bang for your buck. You have access to 5 resorts, town is a 5 minute walk away and it's just awesome.

You should be able to get down their for a week for less than $1500 (All inclusive) if you aren't booking during peak times.
    Ya will be very expensive for Christmas/New years and BPM next month though.. Spring break in March as well..

Originally posted by jdmakkord
    Don sirloin chorizo tacos near coco bongos is awesome.
    Haha I had them drunk once, there is a few of them, the Chorizo tacos are great though! The El Fogon one's are a lot better though.

Originally posted by Cos
    Really liked Playa except trying to get scammed by some dude into a back alley at one point. Otherwise loved it. Ended up at a French Restaurant owned by some dutch people just off the beach. Spent 5 hours there I think (too many mojito's)
    Yah something to watch out for if you get super wasted, just keep to yourself at night..

If you want to not get harassed non-stop try to look less like a tourist, wear shoes/jeans at night. or wear jeans in the day time..
    Last edited by Kobe; 12-17-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Just more problems. I have not had power in my complex for 3 hours now. They are currently ignoring my voice and text messages.

Edit: So the power decided to crash around 11pm on the 26th of December no big deal I was heading out, came home around 7am and still no power...

I passed out without A/C soo next day still nothing, the toilet is not working and im like WTFFFFFF.. i end up just not being home and messaging my landlord all day "it will be done in 30minutes" blah blah..I come home around midnight to see the building has been evacuated and a bunch of signs on it..

I say screw this and just go sleep in the apartment anyways near the balcony..

Today They are ignoring my texts and finally now I get re-connected to civilization.

It was just our building so I guess they really didnt care?

Reallllllly frustrating just abother bullshit thing that has gone wrong and been ignored in mexico...

Last edited by Kobe; 12-28-2015 at 12:38 PM.

My Ride
    Busa

Gotta have some arrachera at HC de Monterrey. The area looks sketch but the food is phenomenal. Been going there almost 10 years now. The location on 1st Street S & 25th ave is the better of the two IMO.

Also, you're in season for marquesitas. I've traveled hours of my way to get some in the past. The most consistent place to find them is in front of city hall. Christmas, new years, and during carnivals are usually the only times you can find them.

What time period does your visitor visa allow you to stay in Mexico?
    Has an IQ of 138, but can't figure out basic algebra.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by PeterGTiR
    What time period does your visitor visa allow you to stay in Mexico?
    You will usually get 180 days but sometimes they will only do 90 which you can extend after...

You can also pay off boarder security for a new visa without a stamp or w/e ive heard or go out 2 belize for a day and get a visa..
    The fine for overstaying is pretty cheap as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast