Quantcast
Wage garnishment rules in Canada. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wage garnishment rules in Canada.

Default Wage garnishment rules in Canada.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/i...134306119.html

Yahoo seems to have done a quick recap of your inexistent rights as a Canadian under Crown law. There are specific dollar limits on certain actions between provinces as well.

In general: If you owe any crown entity (utility) your wage will be garnished. There is no limit to the garnishment, it could be for a lifetime. This is of course completely different from the US (all except student loans) for which you can owe $900 million dollars and still become president if you have the right hairstyle.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-04-2016 at 07:18 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Silverado

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Slow news day?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That 30% in the article is wrong. I've had a CRA garnishment for a couple of years back in the day, and let me tell you it was WAY higher than 30% haha.

The CRA collectors are only a bit better than your run of the mill debt collectors too. They threaten to take everything away from you, cars, house you live in, they're very aggressive. If any of you ever have to deal with these guys, just tell them you're going to go kill yourself on the call, and they'll back right off and actually work with you on a realistic repayment plan.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    That 30% in the article is wrong. I've had a CRA garnishment for a couple of years back in the day, and let me tell you it was WAY higher than 30% haha.

The CRA collectors are only a bit better than your run of the mill debt collectors too. They threaten to take everything away from you, cars, house you live in, they're very aggressive. If any of you ever have to deal with these guys, just tell them you're going to go kill yourself on the call, and they'll back right off and actually work with you on a realistic repayment plan.
    Well the article is not about government owed debt but private debt obligations. I think that's where the confusion arises. It's just like their blurb about bankruptcy. That doesn't do diddly to protect you from the CRA. They will still collect even if you declare bankruptcy since they are exempt from those laws... In short pay your taxes and don't skip out on paying back your government student loans.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I'm pretty sure the CRA can garnish 50% of personal income. 100% of corporate income... sucks if you're a consultant

In short pay your taxes and don't skip out on paying back your government student loans.
    CRA can be pretty brutal to deal with, but at least they seem to understand not getting blood from a stone.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Just tell them you'll kill yourself ? Wow... they are that aggressive are they?

Originally posted by gwill
    Just tell them you'll kill yourself ? Wow... they are that aggressive are they?
    I was dealing with a CRA rep one time and at first the call went quite calmly. She started berating me about how "you have to set aside money for taxes". I replied quite dejectedly, "I realize that...please don't treat me like an idiot.." And that was the fuse....she exploded into a tirade that made me literally take the phone away from my ear...she was screaming over the line saying "I will destroy you...I will ruin you...I will leave you standing in the roadway with nothing but your underwear on". True story.
    About 3 months later my account was handed over to another rep. I doubt anything happened to her, but it was kind of ironic the timing of the change.

Sounds about right for the CRA. Great place for imbeciles and morons to find work.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by rage2

In 2010 when the gov't was going after me for nearly $50k they were quite forceful. I kept telling them that I wanted to work out a repayment plan as I wanted to repay what I (rightfully) owed but didn't have $50k just sitting around.

All levels of government, aside from the Ontario provincial, were happy to work with me. The Ontario government finally got with the program after I kept insisting that you can't squeeze water from a stone.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    I was dealing with a CRA rep one time and at first the call went quite calmly. She started berating me about how "you have to set aside money for taxes". I replied quite dejectedly, "I realize that...please don't treat me like an idiot.." And that was the fuse....she exploded into a tirade that made me literally take the phone away from my ear...she was screaming over the line saying "I will destroy you...I will ruin you...I will leave you standing in the roadway with nothing but your underwear on". True story.
    About 3 months later my account was handed over to another rep. I doubt anything happened to her, but it was kind of ironic the timing of the change.
    Mine was similar. Threatened to take my house (I had maybe $0 equity in it cuz I overpaid), take my cars (they're all leased) and just laughed at them. In the end they just left me with like $1000/month of wages and I lived off credit cards. I could see someone actually wanting to off themselves with the way I was living. 60k of CC debt over 4 credit cards at 29% fucking sucked ass, but the CRA in charge of my file got paid his commission as I cleared the debt in 2.5 years.

I never actually tried the suicide threat, but I should have. A good friend of mine used that trick and got way more favorable repayment plans than I did. A couple others used the trick and it works every single time.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name