Quantcast
Lower Back Pain - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Back Pain

My Ride
    06 F-150

Default Lower Back Pain

Been having some major lower back pain lately. I spent the 2 months before Christmas in school at SAIT doing my apprenticeship schooling. I think it got triggered by sitting in desks and at tables studying and whatnot.

I did nothing physical basically for 2 months and took that time off the gym as well. About 2 weeks ago it got a little sore, and then extremely sore after that. Sharp pains. Went to the doc (basically first time since being a kid) and got a checkup. He said it wasn't sciatica, which surprised me because I was convinced it was. Figured it was just a muscle strain. It got a lot better since seeing him, but aggravated it again couple days ago shoveling my sidewalk.

Today it is killing me and starting to worry me a little. My company wants me to come back to work within a week or 2 and I'm worried I'll be too injured to go back. With this economy that could be the end of my job.

I want to see a chiropractor or get a massage or something to maybe get it to heal a bit quicker. Anyone have any experience with these injuries? Any recommendations for certain chiros or massage therapist that did some good work?

I got an x-ray yesterday so should get a better idea of what exactly it is after the weekend.

Any info would be great guys. Thanks.

I've been going to see Scott Purdy who recently opened his own practice called pt kinetics in the SE. I had pretty much the exact same thing you're explaining a few months ago after building my fence and after 3 visits I was set. Warning you might cry a little but it will feel so good haha

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by shtock99
    I've been going to see Scott Purdy who recently opened his own practice called pt kinetics in the SE. I had pretty much the exact same thing you're explaining a few months ago after building my fence and after 3 visits I was set. Warning you might cry a little but it will feel so good haha
    Any idea what the sessions cost? No benefits at the moment. Willing to pay to get it fixed though I need this healed up asap haha.

Activate release therapy. Aka back acupuncture where they tweak the needles. About the only thing that helped me when I was bed ridden for 3 weeks+

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

First key is to stop sitting so much and start stretching. Stretch glutes, quads and hip flexor for sure.
    I had very similar issue.
    The needleing helps, but you will have to do much work at home to get back to normal.
    Fifth ave physio in the shell building can help with this. Heather or Leah are booth awesome with the needles.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06 F-150

Did a little stretching yesterday and feels a little better today. Will continue on with the stretches and see how it goes. So hard to not be sitting when I'm in pain and there is nothing I can do that is productive while standing up. It's funny I do a somewhat labour intensive job (electrician) and lift weights quite regularly and never have much for back issues. I get to sitting on my ass and fall off the gym wagon and my body all goes to shit. Goes to show how important keeping active is.

Provided that it's a muscle / tendon issue, then keep up the stretching.

Lie on your back, grab your knees, and slowly pull them up to your face. And no, you won't be able to stretch enough to give yourself a BJ

Also, get one of those ass donuts to avoid spinal stress.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Strengthen your back and core.

And address your posture when sitting.

Don't bother with the inflatable ass donuts, they just leak. Get one of these and ignore the giggles:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hula-cushion/6000040394705

Originally posted by chathamf

Any idea what the sessions cost? No benefits at the moment. Willing to pay to get it fixed though I need this healed up asap haha.
    I believe the first appointment is somewhere around $85 then $70 after that

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by A790
    Strengthen your back and core.
    Yea I'm starting to believe this is what I need to do. I will admit that I neglected my core while weight training at the gym. I haven't gone to the gym in months after 2 years of steady training. I believe this mixed with being in school and eating like crap (packed on a few lbs) all helped in creating this super sore back.

Have been doing some different stretches the last two days and am grabbing a book called fix your own back that has some good reviews. Got to get this shit under control. Kids got a new toboggan for xmas and I can't even take them.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by chathamf

Yea I'm starting to believe this is what I need to do. I will admit that I neglected my core while weight training at the gym. I haven't gone to the gym in months after 2 years of steady training. I believe this mixed with being in school and eating like crap (packed on a few lbs) all helped in creating this super sore back.

Have been doing some different stretches the last two days and am grabbing a book called fix your own back that has some good reviews. Got to get this shit under control. Kids got a new toboggan for xmas and I can't even take them.
    When I herniated my L5/S1 lumbar I tried physio, acupuncture, etc. I found that core conditioning, cardio, and (eventually) stretching were what brought me back to normality.

That was 2010. Today I deadlift/etc. and do all the things I used to do (with some modifications here and there). Core conditioning is an important part of my training

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Absolutely core strength and posture are super important to protect the back, but those are longer term goals. Short term, physio and stretching will be the way to go.

Also, if anyone goes to a physiotherapist for something like this and they aren't giving you exercise and stretching homework, get a better physiotherapist.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

One of my clients went to a chiropractor. ended up with a stroke, so... be careful with some of these chiropractors in the city. he is the same age as me, 35

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

what? ^

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by theken
    what? ^
    LOL

Originally posted by InRich
    One of my clients went to a chiropractor. ended up with a stroke, so... be careful with some of these chiropractors in the city. he is the same age as me, 35

i hear this too. google says it happens, stroke after chiropractor works your neck.

Four large studies have established an association between neck manipulation and stroke in patients 45 and younger, although the evidence does not prove that the practice can directly cause strokes, the paper stated.

Nonetheless, chiropractors and osteopathic physicians ought to warn patients of this link, the statement added.

"We strongly believe that patients should be informed of this association before undergoing neck manipulation," Biller said.

God....lower back pain is my life. 34 years of lifting small weights and twisting while on my knees.
    If I'm bent over for more than a minute or so (picture cleaning out a paint bucket), it takes real careful movement and plenty of pain to straighten up.
    Sit on the couch for awhile and to get up again almost brings me to tears.

My Ride
    NC1

It's been on and off for me these past 10 years. The worst was when I was on crutches for a few weeks and the doctor prescribed me some anti-inflammatory pills. Other than that it comes and goes. Sometimes from sports, other times it just flares up outta nowhere. Usually it'll be gone after 3-4 days of soreness. I find the more I sit the more it kicks in but luckily for me I stand most of the time.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Limber 11

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast