Quantcast
allergy to beer? Is this possible? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: allergy to beer? Is this possible?

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Default allergy to beer? Is this possible?

Looking for opinions on something, it's kind of funny, but serious question. Definitely a TMI situation, and pretty gross discussion.

Have noticed that when I drink more than a couple cans of beer, I get bloating and farting pretty bad, and it's usually accompanied by sinus congestion. Drinking beers with high hops content seems to make the farts stink much worse. Usually need to have a couple poops over the course of a long session, small ones . . . .

Have had a couple friends suggest that I may have a mild allergy or sensitivity to something in beer. One buddy swears I am probably gluten intolerant. I don't seem to have issues from breads or pasta that I have noticed, so I'm skeptical. Not sure if it's diagnostic, but I can drink lots of beer and my stomach never feels upset.

This isn't threatening my life or anything, and one easy fix would be to stop drinking beer, but I would like to know if there are other options or things I could be checking out.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Yeast overgrowth in your intestine

My Ride
    Trucks

Many wheat beers set off my hay fever like crazy, so yes it's possible.

If I mix my beers in a night I break out in a blotchy rash all over my body. mainly face and hands. So I'd say so. Only happens when I mix my beers, no other time
    Last edited by HomespunLobster; 01-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I stopped drinking beer long ago because every time I did I would get horribly bloated and gassy.

If I could find something that did not do such things I probably wouldn't mind drinking more.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Same, beer isnt my thing anymore. Pure Vodka and some OJ with water mixed in 1/3's.

Beer never was my thing, but if I do have one, I will take some pro-biotics afterwards.

Originally posted by revelations

Beer never was my thing, but if I do have one, I will take some pro-biotics afterwards.
    Synthetic?

My Ride

In capsule form .... sure

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Are you Asian by any chance?

Apparently being alergic to the hop in beer is a more common in Asians. My Vietnamese friend drinks one beer and is drunk as his body cant process it. Any other spirits he is fine.

Was pretty funny when we found that one out.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Curious about this too.

After I found out I was lactose intolerant I'm feeling much better. I can drink now but if I have more than 1 beer I have the worst gas. Never use to affect me at all.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Hatred

Real men can drink anything without issue.
    -U

Originally posted by Unknown303

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

its probably a wheat allergy, do you get this when you eat pasta or breads as well? I cant handle more than a few beers or i will be shitting my guts out for the next day.

Edit* try a rice beer, or a gluten free beer and check back
    Last edited by theken; 01-03-2016 at 06:01 PM.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Originally posted by revelations
    I have taken these and find it doesn't help.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    I did have someone recommend that I take brewers yeast, but haven't run into it in the supplement isle, and don't know if it would help.

Originally posted by austic

Apparently being allergic to the hop in beer is a more common in Asians. My Vietnamese friend drinks one beer and is drunk as his body cant process it. Any other spirits he is fine.

Not asian, and don't have the stereotypical Asian "drunk so fast" situation happening.

Originally posted by Unknown303
    Probably true.

Originally posted by theken
    its probably a wheat allergy, do you get this when you eat pasta or breads as well? I cant handle more than a few beers or i will be shitting my guts out for the next day.

Edit* try a rice beer, or a gluten free beer and check back
    Don't have any discomfort that I've noticed from pasta or breads. Can down a subway foot-long or a couple bowls of spaghetti without issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by austic

Apparently being alergic to the hop in beer is a more common in Asians. My Vietnamese friend drinks one beer and is drunk as his body cant process it. Any other spirits he is fine.

Same with my asian friend as well. Drinks maybe half or less beer and he turns beet red. I'm asian myself, and can't stomach beer either, not allergic though just taste.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

My best friend who is also Asian had the same issues. Red, digestion etc. Beer is not for him.

One thing he does now is take Zantac before drinking and it alleviates his issues. Apparently has an enzyme required for digestion that he doesn't naturally produce? I'm pretty sure he had the doctor involved in it.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

What kind of beer do you drink? Canned or bottles make any difference? Some people have a sensitivity to the preservatives so non-preservative beer (short life) might be better?

A friend of mine has Celiac Disease and the same thing happened to him with regular beer. He switched to Budweiser which is made partially with rice, and it seems to work for him. Maybe your problem is related to that?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Switch the type of beer you're drinking. I've had tons of different beer on tap and bottles over the years and some simply don't agree with me. My first beer of choice was Traditional on tap for years, the morning after I could clear a room and strip the paint with ass gas. I finally switched to Grasshopper and felt way better the next day and was a delight to be around gas-wise, also a much easier hangover. Then when Wild Rose beers started gaining popularity I tried a few on tap. When I had the Velvet Fog I had stabbing pains in my intestine and evacuated my bowels with serious force. Tried it once more another day, exact same deal. Never again will I touch it. A couple of years ago started drinking Shock Top, great on tap, still enjoy it. Had 6-7 in the bottle I got so sick I was grey for a day and barfing (not from too many). Tried just one bottle a year-ish later and nausea set in pretty quick.

Some vodka drinks can cause my asthma to flare up pretty bad, and once when I tried watermelon boxer at a friends I broke out in a huge rash all over my face and chest.

So, to answer the original question, not sure if it's an allergy per se, but some types of drink can just not agree with any part of your system.

My Ride
    changes every year

Beer does the same thing to me, but so does pasta and bread etc. My face also turns beet red and its hot and tight as welll when I drink anything alcohol related so I'm sure I have an allergy, but it does go away after a bit.

I still drink regardless, but I don't drink much beer, hard liquor is better for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast