Quantcast
Do you have plans to stay in Alberta if there is a long-term downturn? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Would you stay in Alberta in a prolonged downturn?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like living in Alberta regardless of economic conditions

171 70.37%
  • No, I would look for work/opportunities elsewhere

42 17.28%
  • Undecided - location is not important to me

23 9.47%
  • I do not currently live in Alberta

7 2.88%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have plans to stay in Alberta if there is a long-term downturn?

My Ride
    93 integra

After i'm done school I'm not sure. Should be able to work anywhere in Canada. There's lot's more places that are appealing to me other than Alberta. Being from out east I'd go back for the summers. I'd also go west towards the pacific. I'm not entirely against moving to the states. Anywhere really. I have no ties in Calgary. I can come back and visit anytime.

I've never been tied to the oil industry so never had any real reason to stay other than friends and family and now most of that family is back east.

Sure many have gone back home now surely.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'd like to move closer to the mountains, or Europe somewhere. Trying to make that happen at the moment. This whole boom-bust thing is not really up my alley so it's either a career change or geology in a different part of the world on something other than O&G.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:06 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I wouldnt be working very much anyway - but good to hear some local knowledge.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Born in Sudbury, Ontario, but moved to west of Calgary in May of 1980 (I was almost a year old) and have lived here my entire life.

Even in the winter, I like it here. I would however move to a smaller town in a heart beat. I am not really a city dweller, I like the big country sky and air.

Even if I won the lotto, I would be sticking around southern Alberta. However, I would take plenty of vacations to warm climates for 10 days at a time.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2

Yea, give me another 20 years when I don't have to raise kids or work anymore. Then I might move somewhere else.
    I love Calgary, April to October, 110%. It's October to March that I'm starting to loath. Won't mind spending these months in Maui or San Diego if I can swing it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Xtrema

I love Calgary, April to October, 110%. It's October to March that I'm starting to loath. Won't mind spending these months in Maui or San Diego if I can swing it.
    I love it. We are one of the only places on this side of the pond that regularily gets to rally in the winter. Winter rallying is awesome Plus anything to about -15*C/-20*C isn't bad as long as there isn't much wind. I just need a better shop to work on the race cars in!

I don't like the poll. It asks "Would you stay in Alberta in a prolonged downturn?"

Well sure I would, if I had decent income and a job.

Now, would I stay with no hope of earning ok money and advancing in life, especially if I had a family? F*&K NO. I'd be gone in a heartbeat, because it doesn't matter how much I love 'berta, you have to take care of yours and yourself.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, I was pretty gung ho on getting a winter home in Hawaii years ago. Ever since I switched to AWD winter car, I don't mind the winter anymore. I hate the cold, drive heated to heated garage, so I'm all set haha. Moving anywhere else during hockey season would be brutal too.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    M5 Competition

My plan is to buy a vacation home in Hawaii as well but I would prefer to spend the summer months there and the winter months here.

That way I could enjoy two distinct seasons.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I came to AB in 1994 to get away from poor economy (Saskatchewan). I can't see long term anywhere else in Canada being more prosperous than Alberta. For a few years here & there, sure. But with a wife that was born & raised here, two kids entrenched in school, sports & friend and a decent business, I'm not gong anywhere. Retirement will definitely be the snowbird lifestyle though. I don't know where but once the kids are at least in university, I'm going to be in the country a whole lot less in the winters.

As for the pole question, I would like my response to be modified to say "I don't LIKE it here in Southern Alberta, I TOLERATE it for the economic opportunities".
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Ever since I switched to AWD winter car, I don't mind the winter anymore. I hate the cold, drive heated to heated garage, so I'm all set haha.
    I need this... Just don't have the garage to justify summer and winter yet...

A nice leased awd small suv or something would make the winters here much less stressful. I hate thinking about what the cold, salt, ice is doing to my car
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    NC1

Can't stand getting into a cold car lol. REmote starter. Awd. Blizzaks. Underground parking lol
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Been here 36 years and it's home for me and I work directly in O&G. Relocating would basically be the last step I take before going bankrupt. But even if I do lose my job the wife has a solid job with mediocre pay not in O&G so she can be my sugar mama while I relax at home................ while looking for a job of course

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Both sides of my family are here, so it would take something pretty catastrophic for me to leave town. Wife has stable employment here too, so worst case scenario would be us cutting our expenses back and me being a house-husband.

Honestly, don't think it's going to get that bad, but I'm a born optimist.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

both sides of family live here as well, but the wife and i have always talked about moving elsewhere if there was a job opportunity. another continent, or the US, or even just Vancouver... we would try anything. but not because we desperately want out of Alberta, but more because we just like the idea of trying something new, even if only for a couple years. if i lose my job here, i'll at least start looking at other places while looking here as well

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

My family has been in Alberta for many generations. Everyone has always loved it... through all the highs and lows. But my family was also full of farmers/ranchers so there was always that as a "job."

Almost all of the people in my family that are Gen-Y do not farm at all anymore. They live in a city or town. So it kind of tells me that whenever the switch from fossil fuels (most of my family is in O&G) is made, future generations of my family may not live in Alberta.

I could be wrong, we still own quite a fair amount of land in central Alberta so maybe we will end up back as farmers again.

Either way, my family isn't leaving Alberta for a long time yet.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Family Hauler

People keep saying this - but we had hardly any snow or cold weather until december, and sometimes LATE december.

The way the winters are going here its really only shitty december to february.. and when i say shitty i mean maybe shitty for all you people who are soft as marshmallows and the fact that we cant drive our summer rides for those periods.

But I also agree with you to a degree, i would gladly change our temps out past october for either of the locations you mentioned

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I don't mind when it's really cold out and everything is frozen. I just hate the period where it's melting and everything is nasty as fuck. And in Calgary you get a lot of that fluctuation.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by max_boost
    Can't stand getting into a cold car lol. REmote starter. Awd. Blizzaks. Underground parking lol
    I also find most of the people who complain about Calgary weather absolutely take no care to dress for the weather. Dress properly with a Parka, Winter Boots, Touque, Gloves etc - and you will be all good for anything this city throws a tyou.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Originally posted by riander5

People keep saying this - but we had hardly any snow or cold weather until december, and sometimes LATE december.

The way the winters are going here its really only shitty december to february.. and when i say shitty i mean maybe shitty for all you people who are soft as marshmallows and the fact that we cant drive our summer rides for those periods.
    This is true.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast