Quantcast
$700 million Powerball. - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: $700 million Powerball.

Does anybody know the name or face of the person to win the $600M+ Powerball from a few years ago? No? Cause that one was nearly as hyped.

There is literally no problem winning the lottery creates that can't be solved with an insignificant portion of your money or by not having your head up your ass.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by C_Dave45

I think that was the one I saw. Whatever it was, there was two different shows taped a year or more apart. Showing the 90 mil winner, how he's buy ridiculous art shit and say "I just have to not spend anything for a few days and I'd be up $50,000".
    In the end, he didn't pay his condo fees, lost the house (waterside mansion in Florida I think), girlfriend and him got addicted to crack, and he ended up in prison.
    So here's my question: Did he just feel like had to spend every single dollar he had (ie. I have a $25k a day budget for the rest of my life)?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    There was a series on TV years back called "How the Lottery Changed My Life". Same deal, almost all disaster stories.

One couple who did well said they had to move to a gated community for millionaires and had NONE of the same friends. The wife said something like "I'd go for coffee with the girls and one would start complaining about bills, then turn to me and say 'Oh, you wouldnt know about that I guess'"

I'd imagine winning a billion would be 100% life altering, better or worse. I can't see too many people going on living the way they are as if it doesn't affect them.

That said I'd be willing to win to find out
    I could definitely see that happening with a smaller jackpot, but with half a billion you could just make your family and close friends millionaires also.

Originally posted by sexualbanana

So here's my question: Did he just feel like had to spend every single dollar he had (ie. I have a $25k a day budget for the rest of my life)?
    Yeah, who knows. I can't imagine how you could lose it all either. Probably to do with buying $30 million dollar homes....I dunno. But it just seems strange that almost every big winner comes out a loser.

I can see it being very lonely. We have two very best friends. (The older you get, the less friends you have, but the deeper the friendships). Unfortunately they are VERY poor. Total family income of around $30,000 or less and "he" will never earn more. No desire. And even though we're the closest of friends, the financial difference DOES get in the way. We are only too happy to pick up restaurant bills, entertainment expenses, etc, but they feel awkward about accepting it (which I understand) But to the point where, we find it hard to talk about anything that has to do with money without getting sometimes facetious remarks back. No malice is intended, but it does play a role.

Originally posted by holden

I could definitely see that happening with a smaller jackpot, but with half a billion you could just make your family and close friends millionaires also.
    I would SO totally do that. I'd try to do it anonymously, but of course that would never work. I'd slip a million dollars into all the bank accounts of family and friends. (We don't have many )
    Maybe an extra mil or two into the kids' accounts!

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

Money can get anything done, pay a few companies to clear your history.

I think the biggest problem for me is to stay off Beyond. Lol

I would spend a good $20 million on cars if I won the Powerball.

What if there is no winner today again?!

My Ride
    Ford F150

I saw a stats guy on the news saying that with the new changes made to Powerball, there is an 80% probability of every jackpot being one billion+ dollars for the next five years. Something like that anyways. Anyone else see that?
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    I saw a stats guy on the news saying that with the new changes made to Powerball, there is an 80% probability of every jackpot being one billion+ dollars for the next five years. Something like that anyways. Anyone else see that?
    Not quite, its not referring to every jackpot.

There is a 80% probability that at least one '1 billion+' jackpot will occur every 5 years.

So basically there's a 80% chance that we'll see another billion $ jackpot by ~2021

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

Originally posted by ReasonOne
    I have a group of college friends in Texas and Washington. I went in on both pools. Normally I couldn't be bothered, but the thought of my buddies winning and me being the only one in the group as the broke ass..... That didn't sit very well with me haha.
    This is why I'm glad I don't have coworkers or friends who go into lottery pools. I'd have to waste my money every week as insurance against being the poor bastard who isn't a millionaire now.

As for this 1.5B Powerball, I had a buddy in Washington pick me up 5 tickets. What the hell. I told him I'd give him 10 million if I win. lol

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by pheoxs

There is a 80% probability that at least one '1 billion+' jackpot will occur every 5 years.

So basically there's a 80% chance that we'll see another billion $ jackpot by ~2021

I must have heard wrong, that sounds more realistic.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Last edited by project240; 01-13-2016 at 02:55 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

So that's like saying the Powerball will see a winner every 5 years
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by black300
    Money can get anything done, pay a few companies to clear your history.

I think the biggest problem for me is to stay off Beyond. Lol

I would spend a good $20 million on cars if I won the Powerball.

What if there is no winner today again?!
    lol, $20 mill on cars is a LOT. I can't even think of what to spend $20 mill if it was strictly cars.

Ignoring taxes, the lump sum vs annuity payout and such... if a Canadian won the powerball they would become the 39th richest Canadian. Thats insane.

1.5 billion = 2.14 billion CAD according to google and below shows 39th place currently is worth 2.128 billion.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/list...anadians-2015/
    Not quite. At the current advertised level, A Canadian winner would get about $922 million CAD if the ticket was bought in a state without a state lottery tax. Anywhere from 5% to 10% less if bought in a state with a tax.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Good luck all. Wouldn't it be something to have a Canadian win it, better yet, an Albertan.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

It would be a real boon to the strippers and coke dealers of the province if an Albertan won it, that's for sure.

My Ride
    Depends on my mood...

My wife's godparents won the lottery about 25 years ago (around $12 million). The stories I could tell you about what happens to people after they win the cash... Lol

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

John Oliver pretty much explains my views on the lottery.

Interesting point from an article:

"Your chances per ticket of winning Powerball are one in more than 292 million.

Strategic statistician Amram Shapiro recently told Time you have a better chance of:

Being killed by an asteroid.
    Getting struck by lightning.
    Being murdered on a trip to the Grand Canyon.
    Becoming a movie star.
    Dying from chronic constipation."

There you are.

Originally posted by OTown
    John Oliver pretty much explains my views on the lottery.

Interesting point from an article:

"Your chances per ticket of winning Powerball are one in more than 292 million.

Strategic statistician Amram Shapiro recently told Time you have a better chance of:

Being killed by an asteroid.
    Getting struck by lightning.
    Being murdered on a trip to the Grand Canyon.
    Becoming a movie star.
    Dying from chronic constipation."

There you are.
    But 1 in 292 million is better than 0 in 292 million.

I think we are all realists here and dont actually expect to win. The people in the state though....some bank on it for retirement

The Powerball jackpot is a record $1.586 billion with a cash value of $983.3 million. This is the final value.

A share in Group U15 can win $3.2 million CAD after taxes.

Originally posted by ReasonOne
    My wife's godparents won the lottery about 25 years ago (around $12 million). The stories I could tell you about what happens to people after they win the cash... Lol
    Don't leave us hanging. You can't throw a carrot out there like that and not follow up.

C'mon man, lets hear some stories! We have time!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast