Quantcast
"Spring Break" Road Trip - Any beyond tips and tricks along the route? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "Spring Break" Road Trip - Any beyond tips and tricks along the route?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default "Spring Break" Road Trip - Any beyond tips and tricks along the route?

Hey Guys, so I am thinking of doing a bit of a road trip with the wife over her spring break ( welcome to tryin to plan time off when your wife is a teacher *sigh* ). Bit of sun, bit of fun, lots of sight seeing.

The plan is 2 Nights Kelowna, 1 Night Seattle, 2 Nights San Francisco, 2 Nights LA/Anaheim, 1 Night Vegas, 1 Night Salt Lake City ( just a travel stopover really).

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

I have read through a bunch of the specific threads for the cities and travel websites etc. to get some idea but with the timeframe listed what would you guys all do?

Kelowna I am gunna visit my MIL and just relax for a bit/not spend money. mostly using it as a way to break up travel between Calgary and Seattle.

Seattle I only have a day and was thinking of Seattle aquarium, pikes place market, general sightseeing.

San Francisco I was thinking Alcatraz as the main attraction and then just seeing the city and restaurants from there.

Gunna take the long way and drive along the coast from SF to LA along the PCH. Once in LA its a debate of stay in LA and do a big day at Universal Studios ( was thinking of maybe their all in VIP experience) or continue to Anaheim and do a day at Disneyland ( 1 park ). Leaning to Universal because its looking to be cheaper due to excessive Anaheim hotel prices.

From there its about 24 hours in LV before heading home and stopping in SLC just to catch some sleep before the long haul to Calgary.

Planning on during this in the middle of march as well so the debate is whether I run my winters for the trip ( the only part I am really concerned about is Calgary-Kelowna at that time) or if I switch over to summers which would be much preferable for the majority of the trip. Just not sure if I can swing it safely on MPSS's through the mountains in mid march. There is also a mandatory winter tire order during that time which I don't know how much it is enforced... My winters are performance winters anyhow so they are decent enough in the warm and dry.

What do you all think? Am I trying to cram to much shit into one trip?

I am going to have the car with me the whole time so that has me with transportation flexibility as well as needing to stay at hotels with parking which is a slight inconvenience in Seattle and SF.

Anyhow I am interested to hear if anyone else has done a similar trip. Trying to keep the costs in check for this trip so I am planning on going pretty bargain basement for hotels ( not planning on spending any time at them anyways with the exception of vegas).
    Last edited by killramos; 01-09-2016 at 05:03 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Default Re: "Spring Break" Road Trip - Any beyond tips and tricks along the route?

Originally posted by killramos

Seattle I only have a day and was thinking of Seattle aquarium, pikes place market, general sightseeing.

Seattle I was thinking Alcatraz as the main attraction and then just seeing the city and restaurants from there.

Alcatraz relocated to Seattle?? OMG Global warming. On a serious note that is alot to pack into one trip. You will need a vacay after your vacay.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ LOL Good catch. All these american cities blend together to me

As for Vacation after Vacation thats what work is for

One of the more ambitious things is going to be attempting PCH from SF to LA in 1 day from what I have been reading haha.

One thing i have considered is cutting the LA leg and going straight from SF to LV and spending more time in Seattle, SF and LV. I really want to do the PCH though and i feel like i will regret not doing it if i take the time to drive all the way to SF anyways.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

We're doing a spring break trip. March 17-26. 3 days in Vegas and the rest in San Diego.

I hate the way the hotels jack up their prices for spring break. I understand it. Still hate it. Pretty much $300/night no matter where you're staying.

My Ride
    V8s

One of the more ambitious things is going to be attempting PCH from SF to LA in 1 day from what I have been reading haha.

One thing i have considered is cutting the LA leg and going straight from SF to LV and spending more time in Seattle, SF and LV. I really want to do the PCH though and i feel like i will regret not doing it if i take the time to drive all the way to SF anyways.
    If you want to get the PCH experience but still travel relatively quick, just make sure you hit big sur, and stay on the inland highways other than that. Nice views, good corners, but i wouldn't suggest following the coast for more than an hr or two.

If you're going to cut LA, then consider the PCH through Oregon and Northern California.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by cjblair

If you want to get the PCH experience but still travel relatively quick, just make sure you hit big sur, and stay on the inland highways other than that. Nice views, good corners, but i wouldn't suggest following the coast for more than an hr or two.
    I agree. While I really enjoyed the drive on the PCH, Big Sur was the real fun part though I should say I drove from San Jose down to LA so I don't know how it is north from there.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Looks pretty ambitious. To me it seems like a LOT of travel time for very little stays, but if the wife wont mind it then why the hell not right?

#YOLO!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Good luck doing that in a week. That a 2-3 week trip to enjoy those places.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Haha I realize that it could be a month long trip. But I think it could still be a lot of fun and a unique experience. I personally don't mind long days of driving but I might heed the advice about the PCH. Saving a bit of time will give us more opportunity to catch our breath.

All my family lives on vancouver island so the ~12 hour road trip thing is second nature to me. To me a lot of the fun in is the drive and just getting away.

These are all places that I will definitely be coming back to, but more likely as a flight and stay trip. The concept of the road trip is just something I have been pondering as a way to see some stuff, keep busy, and have some fun. I don't have the luxury of ever going on a multi week road trip so that's just not an option in any case.

What do people think about the weather travelling in March? I have looked at seasonal averages but they aren't always the most telling.

fact.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

There's some pretty high passes in idaho and utah.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea I don't think there is any getting around doing the trip on my winters. Whatever I hate them anyways and this is a great opportunity to wear them out lol.

The performance summers would be just to dangerous for Calgary to Kelowna or any encounters with snow.

fact.

Originally posted by benyl
    Good luck doing that in a week. That a 2-3 week trip to enjoy those places.
    I did that loop but took just under 3 weeks and instead of going back through portland/van i took the faster route home because i was burnt by SF. For me the drive was the fun part because you get to take your time and just explore. Thats a ton of driving for a week and you're going to feel so rushed everyday.
    Like others have said, Big Sur is the best stretch by far but even driving along the ocean for the other parts is pretty amazing imo.

You'd be silly not to keep the winters on at that time. The weather is nicer no doubt but that route is still risky in march

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I did that loop but took just under 3 weeks and instead of going back through portland/van i took the faster route home because i was burnt by SF. For me the drive was the fun part because you get to take your time and just explore. Thats a ton of driving for a week and you're going to feel so rushed everyday.
    Not knowing him or his wife, the biggest concern with this trip is really what she thinks.

Every chick I've dealt with "Oh yea, roadtrips are awesome!" 3 days and a couple thousand kms in "omg this sucks!"

As others have stated, you are going to be doing a lot of driving and not much site seeing.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Every chick I've dealt with "Oh yea, roadtrips are awesome!" 3 days and a couple thousand kms in "omg this sucks!"

Very valid point! Its cool for the driver to cram in those miles because we get to experience the road but for a passenger i can totally see them hating it.

I know this doesnt sound as appealing but i would just do Kelowna, Van and Seattle if you only have 1 week. Save that epic road trip for the summer and make it 2 weeks and I can guarantee it'll be one of the best trips ever(or worst lol). We always fly for vacations but a few years back we did the road trip and to this day it's still one of my funnest experiences.

I essentially did your road trip a few years back, but over 3 weeks, and thought it was too much driving.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Definitely an option. Got permission for the time off today so now its just finalizing the plan etc.

fact.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Honestly, I've done this before and I'd drive back up west-side rather than going through SLC.

That place is BORING. And Mormons look at me funny.

Idaho could be tricky, especially if it's still cold-ish.

EDIT:

The plan is 2 Nights Kelowna, 1 Night Seattle, 2 Nights San Francisco, 2 Nights LA/Anaheim, 1 Night Vegas, 1 Night Salt Lake City ( just a travel stopover really).
    You're going to hate yourself and your wife will leave you.

We did a two-man crew from Calgary to San Diego and we did it in 24hrs and something. Midnight-little past midnight.

Our main goal was the California west coast and you're cramming too much sightseeing with Seattle and Kelowna. If you're going that far, just stick with California as your tour and rest are stop-overs.

Stick to your comfort level.

As in, don't be curious and go to Tijuana without insurance and in a Volvo XC90.
    Last edited by flipstah; 01-11-2016 at 06:13 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

That loop, you need 2 weeks minimum, should be 3 weeks as least. Because you are looking at a minimum of 5 days on the roads alone.

Not sure if you will enjoy PCH as much with winters on.

Also, PCH is no fun if your have passenger(s) that's prone to motion sickness.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-11-2016 at 08:09 PM.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Could just do Calgary to Vegas and back. Some excellent scenery in Southern Utah if you want to get outdoorsy. Shaves two long days of driving plus the in-laws out of the equation. Makes it quite doable for a single week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast