Quantcast
62 People Own Half The World's Wealth And they're only getting richer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 62 People Own Half The World's Wealth And they're only getting richer

Default 62 People Own Half The World's Wealth And they're only getting richer

http://www.vocativ.com/news/272379/6...f-world-wealth

"A new Oxfam report on the global “inequality crisis” reveals that the richest 62 individuals hold the same amount of wealth as the 3.6 billion poorest people on the planet. And not only that, but the gaping chasm between the über-wealthy and the rest of us is continually widening, as these individuals continue to swell their fortunes, while the poor just get poorer.

The research shows that rather than trickling down, wealth is being “sucked upwards at an alarming rate,” and the massive global wealth divide is more pronounced than it has been in 15 years. Just five years ago, the same proportion of wealth was divided up between six times the number of people. Now, these 62 incomprehensibly wealthy people hold 44 percent more wealth—about $1.76 trillion combined (which is around 40 times more than the UN estimates it would take to aid all of the world’s citizens in need of humanitarian aid this year). In that same time period, the wealth owned by the bottom half of the world has fallen by one trillion dollars. Since 2000, the poorest 10 percent of global citizens have seen only minor increases in pay, with daily incomes rising less than one cent per year.

Further, while the divide between the world’s richest and poorest is incredibly stark, it’s not as if the rest of the spectrum is a vast grey area. The report also shows that according to Credit Suisse, the overall richest 1% hold more wealth than the rest of the world combined."

And we still don't have a real life batman

Economy is no longer balanced because it has been so long since word war II ended. Money is now monopolized instead of previously monopolized business.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

That's an interesting and obvious divide of wealth, but even I don't concern or compare myself with several million Chinese squatting on the other side of the world in poverty when I get my paycheck.

We can find an estimated net worth of all 62 of those wealthiest people, but how much do the 3.5 billion people we're comparing them to own? Do they even matter or are they just another person on the planet to count just so you can show the wealth inequality?

That's the problem with this world it's based on money. If it weren't based on money this earth would be a much better place to be and everyone would be equal.

Originally posted by Moonracer
    That's the problem with this world it's based on money. If it weren't based on money this earth would be a much better place to be and everyone would be equal.
    Survival of the fittest?

Strip the money from everyone and you don't think there would still be segregation? Give me a break.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I feel this thread title should end with "Number 40 will shock you!"

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by ickyflex

Survival of the fittest?

Strip the money from everyone and you don't think there would still be segregation? Give me a break.
    It would disable my online shopping problem
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by ickyflex

Survival of the fittest?

no definitely not survival of the fittest it's a lot more complicated than that and it would certainly take some time.

no definitely not survival of the fittest it's a lot more complicated than that and it would certainly take some time.
    because when society had no money it was all peaceful...

grab some common sense

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

People who say this are undeniably stupid and have absolutely no understanding of how the world works, and why we use money instead of bartering only.

No they wouldn't. "Equality" would then be based on who has the most chickens to trade.

I for one prefer money for barter, as opposed to carrying around some chickens.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I started writing up a huge 'chicken' and bartering explanation for the guy, then said "fuck it, morons gonna moron" and went and got coffee instead. Much better use of my time.

lol you guys are funny... ever see zeitgeist? It's all about moving from a market based economy to a resource based economy. Sure it's hard to comprehend but if we're going to change this planet for the better we have to do something drastic and do it now.
    Last edited by Moonracer; 01-19-2016 at 10:48 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by carson blocks

People who say this are undeniably stupid and have absolutely no understanding of how the world works, and why we use money instead of bartering only.
    I feel like that wasn't what he meant at all, and you don't understand what he is saying.

I think he means something along the lines of "why is there money? what is "value"?

At the end of the day, all of these things are simply an agreed upon base set of values that seem to happen in 99% of societies on the planet. It doesn't mean that they aren't human constructs though.

So sure, everyone could hold hands, sing kumbaya, and eat bugs, and have shelter, etc etc.

The fact is, the idea of money (and capitalism) necessitates that there are winners and losers. Canadians are going to get a good dose of reality, we've been riding the globalization and resource wealth band-wagon in the good times, now we're going to see how punishing it is in the bad times.

And it IS a problem when 62 people own half the worlds wealth. There is only so much value/money out there. If those 62 people have half the wealth, that's a lot of money that other people simply can't have (and I'm not talking about bums on our streets and welfare assholes, I'm talking about the destitute in 3rd world countries).

lol you guys are funny... ever see zeitgeist? It's all about moving from a market based economy to a resource based economy.
    I found just your man!

And $200 already raised towards his $500k goal.
    https://www.gofundme.com/Resource-Based-Economy-BC
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I found just your man!

And $200 already raised towards his $500k goal.
    https://www.gofundme.com/Resource-Based-Economy-BC
    Hey it's Mr. Positive!