Quantcast
Business/Work Laptop? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Business/Work Laptop?

Default Business/Work Laptop?

Hello Beyond,

What do you guys think about the Lenovo T450s? I'm looking for a new laptop, primarily used for work as I will be on the road a lot. I've read some reviews about the Lenovo T450s and it seems like a good work laptop, but wanted some opinion's before I pulled the trigger.

Found the below link from RFD for the IBM Friends Purchase program.

http://shop.lenovo.com/ibmeppfriendca/ca/en/laptops/

Passcode: FNDEPP

I don't know too much about computers but this was what I had configured:

Intel Core i5-5300U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.90Ghz)
    Windows 10 Pro 64
    14.0" FHD (1920x1080) IPS with WWAN
    8GB DDR3L-1600 4G Base +4G
    UltraNav with Fingerprint reader
    500GB Hard Disk Drive 7200rpm
    Apparently battery lasts up 17hours...

Works out to about $1158.00

If there is something else you guys recommend, let me know! Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

That is crazy expensive for a work laptop. Yes the IBMs are built to be tough work horses, but ive seen them break the same as others. An SSD device would be my choice but laptops dont seem to come with them.

If youre just working out of a hotel room / trailer, then there are other choices that offer better performance for far less. A good laptop case would do you better (Pelican or other knock off).

All depends on your needs, use of the laptop (eg. spreadsheets) and environment.

If youre working in a truck and carrying around the unit alot, a toughbook (or something similar) might be a better idea. I've had enough laptops hit the snow to know this .... lol
    Last edited by revelations; 01-19-2016 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

If you will be working from a desk, spending the money for a laptop with a big screen, and getting a separate ergonomic keyboard and mouse is big.

If working from coffee shops or you lap, smaller is probably better.

I suppose I should have been more clear, I'd be working out of coffee shops, car, and remote offices. I'd be travelling between offices within the city, or to another city at most, so fortunately for me, no site visits

Appreciate the feedback so far!

My Ride

Working on what, AutoCAD? Completely different needs than if you were just working with basic Office programs.

Mainly office programs, lots of excel spreadsheets and at the most some light photo editing. Just looking for something that will last me a while, I've had some old HP/Dell laptops over the years and they always seem to die on me after 1-2 years of use.

My Ride

Get this laptop:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59525 ($420)

Then ask Memory Express (or any IT guy) to max out the RAM to 8GB (prob 100$) and switch the 500gb HDD to 256gb SSD (140$).

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55511

Your new laptop will now last a lot longer on battery (mine went up 20%) and take more physical abuse without tossing a drive and suddenly, the laptop performs like a 1500$ unit.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-19-2016 at 03:52 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

One thing to consider, because you specifically mention Excel, is to get a laptop with a full number pad. I've worked on ones without and now that I have one I can't go back.

I have a Lenovo 540p I'm quite happy with but I wish the resolution was higher. I think it was around $1,000 from Memory Express a couple years ago with additional ram.

I see Lenovo now has upgrade-able screens on this particular series. Fuckers!
    Last edited by msommers; 01-19-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by revelations
    Get this laptop:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59525 ($420)

Then ask Memory Express (or any IT guy) to max out the RAM to 8GB (prob 100$) and switch the 500gb HDD to 256gb SSD (140$).

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55511

Your new laptop will now last a lot longer on battery (mine went up 20%) and take more physical abuse without tossing a drive and suddenly, the laptop performs like a 1500$ unit.
    Thanks! I think I'll drop by memory express this weekend and see some of these in person. Keep the feedback/opinions coming!

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

$34 for an additional 4GB of RAM at memex right now, assuming that laptop has two slots.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Enjoying my lenovo , great keyboard. Added ram to mine when I bought it. Didn't want to change hard drive as I would loose the OEM windows install.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    fiat abarth

in the past year, I brought and sold 4 different laptops and ended up with my lenovo t450s.

i do a lot of development work with software and engineering/ excel work, so a good keyboard is a must.

sony - no good. too much style, not enough function. the keyboards always gave me cramps when working over 1hr

asus - beautiful machines, great for surfing and media consumption. but no good for working and long typing sessions. the keyboard just didnt perform that well. missed strokes and such. touchpad was good tho

dell / lenovo enterprise level- good for working , but a little too big for carrying and general use and the screen is the worst for media but great for productivity type work. shortest battery life out of the advertised amounts. i like the trackpoint on the lenovo the best, so thats is the one i kept. easy upgrades on the t450s machines. upgraded to 12gb and 250ssd for $100 extra at mem ex. i am looking for a x250 instead of my t450s

I can't recommend Lenovo enough. I've got a 7-8 year old Thinkpad T400 that still runs as well as the day I got it. I've upgraded the ram and hard disk (SSD), but the machine itself works great. I no longer use it as my main work machine, but still works great for a home machine.

I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap plastic one for a few hundred bucks. You get what you pay for, and a top of the line work machine will cost more than a shiny toy from Best Buy. Just my two cents.

I've got nothing but praise for my Lenovo, just some maintenance and it still runs fast. Looking to do a Samsung SSD upgrade in a few months. Good luck with your search!