Quantcast
What price increases due to falling Canadian dollar have you seen/heard of? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What price increases due to falling Canadian dollar have you seen/heard of?

Default What price increases due to falling Canadian dollar have you seen/heard of?

When the dollar was rising and eventually reached par we didn't see many decreases in prices. Most companies kept the forex gains for themselves. Now that the dollar is falling more and more companies are 'forced' to make price adjustments. Just curious what you've seen or heard of?

I saw two announcements today including Apple app store as well as wireless rates from Bell, Rogers, and Telus.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Vegetables and fruits.

I thought the NDP said that the strong dollar was bad for Canada. This low rate is hitting me daily and my relatives in BC and Ontario are saying the same.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Re: What price increases due to falling Canadian dollar have you seen/heard of?

Originally posted by roopi
    When the dollar was rising and eventually reached par we didn't see many decreases in prices. Most companies kept the forex gains for themselves. Now that the dollar is falling more and more companies are 'forced' to make price adjustments. Just curious what you've seen or heard of?

I saw two announcements today including Apple app store as well as wireless rates from Bell, Rogers, and Telus.
    Man that's a pretty ballsy call from those three when they are making fucking loads of money off their customers cellphone plans. It costs them cents on the dollar to provide network services to their customers, I'm sure all this is a money grab and prices won't go down after the dollar rises again.

My Ride
    ED-7

honestly, how often do prices fall when our dollar goes up? There's profit to be made and if everyone just complains but doesn't boycott or take action, then as a company owner/board/director, I would just quietly let things slide and pocket the profit.

I think the real question we should be asking is what prices decrease when the dollar goes up? Maybe aside from gas (nowhere near 50cents/liter anymore...) the list is going to be short. Maybe this will also educate the new generation that a low dollar is complete shit despite what politicians try to tell us otherwise given our global economy and dependency on imported goods and monopolized services.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

My Ride
    Grimace

Computer parts are through the roof!
    Also $80 video games, probably soon to be $85.

It all good, we are winning the race to the bottom.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

It's frustrating.
    I haven't noticed any prices go down.
    Everything seems price fixed or made a random excuse to raise prices.

Only positive is selling things to US. 75% of our products go down there and we're able to skim extra profit from the exchange.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Trucks

My prescription glasses I just bought were over $1200 as opposed to $700 3-4 years ago. Not sure if that's related to the cdn dollar or not, but it's brutal.

Default Re: Re: What price increases due to falling Canadian dollar have you seen/heard of?

Originally posted by nzwasp

Man that's a pretty ballsy call from those three when they are making fucking loads of money off their customers cellphone plans. It costs them cents on the dollar to provide network services to their customers, I'm sure all this is a money grab and prices won't go down after the dollar rises again.
    their justification was that they buy all their infrastructure equipment from US companies, so if they want to expand/improve service as planned they need to do this.

Originally posted by Darell_n
    My prescription glasses I just bought were over $1200 as opposed to $700 3-4 years ago. Not sure if that's related to the cdn dollar or not, but it's brutal.
    Yikes, 1200 for glasses! Lasik is only about $3500... if you buy glasses yearly then it pays for itself after 3 years

My Ride
    Silverado

I dunno how much they cost but I keep hearing cauliflower are through the roof.

Cisco bumped all of their prices up by a fixed percentage back in December.

As a result we spent $3 million on hardware the day before.

Originally posted by Nitro5
    I thought the NDP said that the strong dollar was bad for Canada. This low rate is hitting me daily and my relatives in BC and Ontario are saying the same.
    Yeah, Mulcair was touting "Dutch Disease" also.

Seems like everything in the food courts are at least $9.50 for lunch now.

I haven't bought prescription glasses in twenty years.

Get a good light frame and it will last forever.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: Re: Re: What price increases due to falling Canadian dollar have you seen/heard of?

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    I dunno how much they cost but I keep hearing cauliflower are through the roof.
    $7.99 now I've heard for some stores.
    Originally posted by sabad66

their justification was that they buy all their infrastructure equipment from US companies, so if they want to expand/improve service as planned they need to do this.
    Yet y'know, in provinces where they compete with SaskTel, Videotron, and MTS the prices can stay the same...
    (source: http://globalnews.ca/news/2463484/wi...-loonie-drops/)

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by phreezee
    Seems like everything in the food courts are at least $9.50 for lunch now.
    That's the case since 2014.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Dairy Queen got rid of their $6 Meal Deal (cheeseburger or 3 chick fingers, fries, pop, and a sundae. Upgrade to a small blizzard for a $1).

So for $7, you got a lot of bang for the buck considering a small blizzard is $5 alone. But now that's gone, they bumped everything up $1 and if you want to upgrade to a blizzard, it's still $1 and you only get a mini (and god damn, they aren't kidding when they say mini!)

I'm interested to see what happens with Wendy's, they FINALLY introduced value meals there ($4 for a JBC, fries, and a coke, I'm in heaven!) but I can't see that lasting.

I realize reading this thread how little I actually buy IN Canada. Food and that's about it, everything else comes from outside the country.

KFC still has their $5 fill ups.

This falling dollar is going to be putting the squeeze on importers, distributors and retailers alike. The most immediate place all of us are going to notice this is at the grocery store and cauliflower is but one example at $5.97 for a smallish head last weekend at Superstore.

Some of these fast food restaurants raising their prices seems odd but maybe most of their supplies come out of the USA, KFC maybe sources their chicken in Canada but at some point one would expect chicken prices to start going up as export amounts increase.

What's the current exchange rate like at a bank, $1.50 CAD to $1.00US? Crazy for travellers to the USA or probably even bringing stuff across the border.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast