Quantcast
The Problem With Fashion Watches - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Problem With Fashion Watches

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Unknown303

My G-shocks tend to get a lot more attention in public compared to a friends expensive watches.
    Likewise, especially rare and funky colourways....
    ...@therealarifjina...

Originally posted by msommers
    My biggest beef with cheap watches is the mineral coating vs. sapphire crystal. The mineral face gets scratched so easily you do have to be quite careful, which is only a matter of time in actual use before it starts looking like crap.
    This is why i went with something higher end. Sure they all tell the same time but in the end, my Carrera is bulletproof and shows hardly any signs of wear despite being a daily driver for 4 almost 5 years.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by spike98

This is why i went with something higher end. Sure they all tell the same time but in the end, my Carrera is bulletproof and shows hardly any signs of wear despite being a daily driver for 4 almost 5 years.
    You must be easy on your watches then. I can't see how a Carrera will show less wear after 5 years of daily use than any other $100 watch made from 316 stainless steel.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by b_t
    at what price point does a watch become real?
    I'm careless.
    I reach under my desk to scratch my leg and boom, scratched the glass. I hit walls, door frames, you name it. No watches in my drawer are over $150 as that's when I'll start crying. This number hasn't increased with my income though...

Originally posted by Pacman

You must be easy on your watches then. I can't see how a Carrera will show less wear after 5 years of daily use than any other $100 watch made from 316 stainless steel.
    Sapphire vs Mineral Crystal
    Engraved and Painted vs Silk Screened Markings
    High Quality Clasp vs Cheap Design

Also where does Tag Heuer mention that they use 316SS? I have yet to see any documentation. Additionally the type of the material isn't the only piece of the puzzle, the method of construction, and heat treatment is also a massive factor.

I have owned many grades of watches over my life time. From Timex to Bulova, to Tag Heuer and by far the Carrera stands up the most. It looks brand new after 5 daily years of use. My previous bulova worked but looked destroyed, the nixons i have lasted months.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm super careful with my watches, and they nick and ding like any other watch in any price range. Even my Carreras. The only exception really are the watches I own with Ceramic cases. Those are indestructible.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

My case on my daily is nicked and dinged, I can't help it. And it makes me mad haha, but I love it so I just keep wearing it for everything.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Sapphire vs Mineral Crystal
    Engraved and Painted vs Silk Screened Markings
    High Quality Clasp vs Cheap Design

Also where does Tag Heuer mention that they use 316SS? I have yet to see any documentation. Additionally the type of the material isn't the only piece of the puzzle, the method of construction, and heat treatment is also a massive factor.

I have owned many grades of watches over my life time. From Timex to Bulova, to Tag Heuer and by far the Carrera stands up the most. It looks brand new after 5 daily years of use. My previous bulova worked but looked destroyed, the nixons i have lasted months.
    I'm still not sure I understand what that has to do with being "bulletproof".

If you took a basic Seiko SKX007 dive watch and subjected it to the same abuse as a Tag Carrera, the seiko would come out looking the same, with the exception of the mineral crystal on the seiko being scratched or perhaps have a chunck of it missing...... whereas the sapphire crystal on the tag would either be clean, chipped, scratched or perhaps even shattered depending on how hard you were on it.

The case, bezel and caseback would all look the same.

If you took a seiko with a sapphire crystal, I don't see how there would be any difference between the 2 watches after the same amount of abuse.

I'm still not sure I understand what that has to do with being "bulletproof".

If you took a basic Seiko SKX007 dive watch and subjected it to the same abuse as a Tag Carrera, the seiko would come out looking the same, with the exception of the mineral crystal on the seiko being scratched or perhaps have a chunck of it missing...... whereas the sapphire crystal on the tag would either be clean, chipped, scratched or perhaps even shattered depending on how hard you were on it.

The case, bezel and caseback would all look the same.

If you took a seiko with a sapphire crystal, I don't see how there would be any difference between the 2 watches after the same amount of abuse.
    I dont mean literally bulletproof. All i am saying is that, of the many brands i have owned, the one i am currently wearing seems TO ME to be much more resilient to wear and tear.

Im not sure, what point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that there is no difference between a seiko and a tag heuer?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I dont mean literally bulletproof. All i am saying is that, of the many brands i have owned, the one i am currently wearing seems TO ME to be much more resilient to wear and tear.

Im not sure, what point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that there is no difference between a seiko and a tag heuer?
    In terms of materials used, marginal.

A stainless Seiko with a sapphire crystal will have similar durability to a similarly built Tag.

The biggest difference comes in via the movement.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Correct, I'm saying there is no difference between a $150 Seiko and a Tag Heuer when it comes to showing nicks, dings, scratches and wear and tear. I would go as far as saying that a $150 Seiko SKX007 dive watch would win a toture test against any Tag Heuer Carrera.

Also, I don't think there is a difference between a $150 Seiko and a $6,000 Grand Seiko when it comes to nicks, dings, scratches and wear and tear.

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect you think your Tag Heuer is more resiliant to wear/tear because you treat it differently from the way you treated your previous, less expensive watches.

My Ride
    V8s

Correct, I'm saying there is no difference between a $150 Seiko and a Tag Heuer when it comes to showing nicks, dings, scratches and wear and tear. I would go as far as saying that a $150 Seiko SKX007 dive watch would win a toture test against any Tag Heuer Carrera.

Also, I don't think there is a difference between a $150 Seiko and a $6,000 Grand Seiko when it comes to nicks, dings, scratches and wear and tear.

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect you think your Tag Heuer is more resiliant to wear/tear because you treat it differently from the way you treated your previous, less expensive watches.
    That's exactly what I was going to post.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Better to save up a little more and buy a "real" watch, something that is worth something a few years later. I have so many esq, Nixon, fatlace, watches that I bought years ago that aren't worth anything and are just sitting collecting dust.
    I love to talk shit too but c'mon man A real watch lol And you're a sponsor too
    Last edited by Rocket1k78; 01-25-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Pretty hard to make the argument that "real" watches are a better investment than a fashion watch. If that $200 fashion watch goes to zero value, you are still further ahead than the depreciation on any quality timepiece.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by Mibz
    Post 'em up for sale. I need some cheap options.
    I'll be posting a couple lower end watches up for sale in the marketplace here in 5 minutes, check them out Mibz.

Last edited by Dumbass17; 01-28-2016 at 08:35 PM.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I love to talk shit too but c'mon man A real watch lol And you're a sponsor too

Not quite sure where you are attempting to do with that statement....
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by EK 2.0

Not quite sure where you are attempting to do with that statement....
    It's nonsensical, but also stems from a lack of education

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Rocket1k78
    Are you saying he should also not sell $40,000.00 vehicles when a $12,000.00 one will do the same job? I mean they both eventually depreciate to almost nothing over time and use so what's the point? The gall of him, especially as A SPONSOR!!!!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Are you saying he should also not sell $40,000.00 vehicles when a $12,000.00 one will do the same job? I mean they both eventually depreciate to almost nothing over time and use so what's the point? The gall of him, especially as A SPONSOR!!!!
    You quoted the wrong guy lol, it was the guy below me that said expensive watches are a bad buy. Hang on though, the next bandwagon should be around shortly for you to jump on unless the other 2 wanna squish in for you

Because im nonsensical and un educated i have a hard time writing what i mean to say. All im saying is his remark about buying a "real" watch was a tad douchy. I'm all for nice watches but i'm not going to tell someone to save up and buy a real watch if theyre sporting a $100 watch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast