Quantcast
The Problem With Fashion Watches - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The Problem With Fashion Watches

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

You quoted the wrong guy lol, it was the guy below me that said expensive watches are a bad buy. Hang on though, the next bandwagon should be around shortly for you to jump on unless the other 2 wanna squish in for you

Because im nonsensical and un educated i have a hard time writing what i mean to say. All im saying is his remark about buying a "real" watch was a tad douchy. I'm all for nice watches but i'm not going to tell someone to save up and buy a real watch if theyre sporting a $100 watch.
    lol it doesn't do to take things so personally.

Nobody jumped on a bandwagon. You made a post that made no sense. Redlyne wasn't talking shit, and furthermore, whether or not he's a sponsor has no bearing on what he said regardless.

That's why I said your post was nonsensical: because it was.

Second, your comment also showcases that you aren't educated about watches and therefore don't see or understand what others may find value in. This is also a statement of fact, no? If you better understood watches, chances are that you'd also better understand what gives them value.

A "real" watch, as implied by Redlyne, is one that is built and designed to last. Look at a vintage piece from Omega, Rolex, Hamilton, etc. They share common qualities, and it's those qualities that have made the watch better able to stand the rigors of time (pun intended).

Do you see Fossil's/etc. from 20+ years ago fetching decent money? Do you see many of them for sale at all? Do you think there's a reason for that?

That's the point he was making, that others have made, and more or less the conversation that's been happening. Your comment added no value- why are you surprised that people called you out asking what your point was?

My Ride
    This and that.

I absolutely love watches and God knows I've 'wasted' tons of money on them. In the last year alone I think I spent just over $20K on watches. The problem however is that after I wear a watch for a few days, I get bored of them. This applies to my Rolex Datejust 2 or the Breitling Navitimer World and some other 'real' watches I have. I get bored of looking at the same one over and over again and don't feel like wearing one of the other ones that I've worn many times before and end up buying something new. The cycle repeats. I really need to get better control on this ridiculous habit. As far as I am concerned, this applies to both high end and fashion watches for me. Although, if I buy a fashion watch these days it has be a great price and I gotta really like the style or something about it.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-02-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Originally posted by A790

lol it doesn't do to take things so personally.

Nobody jumped on a bandwagon. You made a post that made no sense. Redlyne wasn't talking shit, and furthermore, whether or not he's a sponsor has no bearing on what he said regardless.

That's why I said your post was nonsensical: because it was.

Second, your comment also showcases that you aren't educated about watches and therefore don't see or understand what others may find value in. This is also a statement of fact, no? If you better understood watches, chances are that you'd also better understand what gives them value.

A "real" watch, as implied by Redlyne, is one that is built and designed to last. Look at a vintage piece from Omega, Rolex, Hamilton, etc. They share common qualities, and it's those qualities that have made the watch better able to stand the rigors of time (pun intended).

Do you see Fossil's/etc. from 20+ years ago fetching decent money? Do you see many of them for sale at all? Do you think there's a reason for that?

That's the point he was making, that others have made, and more or less the conversation that's been happening. Your comment added no value- why are you surprised that people called you out asking what your point was?
    I'm going to assume redlyne is a buddy. Defend all day but id be willing to bet that if it were just a random that made that statement you wouldnt be taking the same stance.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I personally appreciate a "real" high quality watch, but can't see myself ever buying one.

I tend to typically own two watches at a time - 1 casual, 1 dressier. When the battery dies I typically through them out and get a new watch because my tastes change. This typically happens ever two years and by then they are starting to show some wear. I usually only spend $1-300 per watch so I don't feel a strong connection to them.

To me a watch is disposable and I have never seen one I would really like to own for a really long time.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I'm going to assume redlyne is a buddy. Defend all day but id be willing to bet that if it were just a random that made that statement you wouldnt be taking the same stance.
    I've never met him before.

I am a big watch guy, though.

To clarify: I made my comments because your statements were, in my mind, everything I called them out to be.

Even then, it's not like I'm attacking you. I'm explaining my viewpoint- why are you so defensive?

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by b_t

at what price point does a watch become real?

helps to have all kinds of watches imo, since I started wearing them I've gotten so used to the feel I insist on having one on all the time (also need to hide my watchband tan in the summer) but wearing a Movado Museum on the floor for a concert or a Hamilton when I'm helping somebody move doesn't seem right

used to be that cheap watches just looked tacky, my old Fossil looks obviously shit even from a distance. the new ones have come a long way, it's nice to have options in that <$200 bracket that aren't embarrassing to wear
    `Not sure about price, but there are brands that cross over into "watch guy" territory.

Something like a Hamilton, perhaps? I think those are around a grand.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Cos

Well it also doesn't help you're 6" taller than 98% of the group and a good size bigger. People will stare at you no matter what watch you had on.

I think you should rock a G-Shock Flava flav.
    Are you saying they are just commenting on my watch because they want to sleep with me. I'm not just a piece of meat!
    -U

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3