Quantcast
Staying alive statistics. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Staying alive statistics.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 10:52 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/...-vegetarianism

The Scary Mental Health Risks of Going Meatless

Based on this thread sounds about right...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Serious question since I do like to eat healthy, what do you put in your drinks? Some of the blends you see people post about are incredibly tedious to shop for and make every day, it seems to me that yours would be efficient.
    I'm not sure if you're trolling JRS, as I'm most often called an idiot for my perspectives.

Originally posted by killramos
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/...-vegetarianism

The Scary Mental Health Risks of Going Meatless

Based on this thread sounds about right...
    Ok first off this woman was a vegetarian not a vegan or plant based diet if you will. She was clearly lacking the essential natural sugars and carbs you get from eating fruit which keeps the energy levels up and the brain happy and healthy, free from going mental.

Originally posted by Moonracer

Ok first off this woman was a vegetarian not a vegan or plant based diet if you will. She was clearly lacking the essential natural sugars and carbs you get from eating fruit which keeps the energy levels up and the brain happy and healthy, free from going mental.
    Good luck trying to explain the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan diet.

This is people who think strangling a baby cow is acceptable.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Many myths on both sides.

A properly supplemented and balanced vegan diet is certainly very healthy.

But unless you know exactly what you're doing you should not subject children to it: http://www.rawstory.com/2014/12/todd...ed-vegan-diet/

The B12 issue is an interesting one. Most of the B12 has been leached from our soil (that's where it comes from) due to industrial farming and is actually administered to cows as a supplement these days. So we do not get sufficient B12 from our meat either, not the industrially grown varieties, anyway. This is true for the other essential nutrients - DHA, Carnosine, Creatine, etc. But we have evolved to where we know how to supplement them and you don't need to consume eggs or meat or dairy to do it. B12 comes from bacterial fermentation, not from meat directly. So while it's true that vegans need to supplement B12, it's misleading to say that it comes only from meat.

That said, I am definitely not ready to become a vegan.
    Humans absorb B12 created from gut bacteria in animals that we eat.

How hard is that to understand.

The bottom line is humans evolved from consuming meat, we are not cows, and we are not lions.

We are Omnivores and a healthy balanced diet (that includes meat) is the best approach to a healthy body and mind.
    Last edited by 89coupe; 01-26-2016 at 01:24 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Well has becoming a Vegan made you a better hockey player, professor?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

You know what's worse than vegans?

Crossfit vegans.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Seth1968

I'm not sure if you're trolling JRS, as I'm most often called an idiot for my perspectives.
    No, not at all. And I've probably called you that once or twice but aren't we all in our own ways? Genuinely was curious, I do struggle to get what I consider "enough" vegetation into my diet in an easy manner.

I'll never give up animal protein but more vegetation is rarely a bad thing I would think.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 01-26-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Moonracer - sincerely curious.. Why did you change your lifestyle? Was it for a girlfriend?

One of my best friends has just become a vegan.

He met a girl she was a vegitarian. He became one too. Later on they both relaxed and started fish and chicken. He went back to some meat. Fast forward to now and they're both reaching for pure vegan.

He was healthy and lean before (always 10% body fat) but not real muscular. Now he's probably 8-10% bodyfat still same muscularity but with additional training. This tells me if he continued to eat meat and train he may have built some more muscle which is AMAZINGLY important for male health later in life.

Basically do what you want, but do it for the right reasons. Changing 100% for a girl... Well good luck on that venture.

And lastly, a bodybuilder who has built his muscle foundation on lean protein tends to maintain a lot if not all of it when they transition to a vegitarian or vegan style, as long as their protein intake from plants is also supplemented with EAA's, and kept to a high ratio of total calories.

Look up Dr Berardi's experiment on this.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Originally posted by max_boost
    Well has becoming a Vegan made you a better hockey player, professor?
    ya buddy haven't played with you guys in a while I'll have to come out one of these days again. Remember when I was fat (fat for me) and I could hardly keep up with the young guys....lol I've lost 20lbs since last year and eating far better. I've been able to play a lot harder since and thus much more fun!
    Last edited by Moonracer; 01-26-2016 at 02:11 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

How hard is it for you to understand that we can supplement with B12? Animals convert the trace minerals from soil->plant->ruminant gut to the form suitable for use in the human biome. We can replicate the process without using animals at all, through bacterial fermentation.
    I think you are missing the point.

Whether or not humans have developed a way to create B12 without the use of animals, which I'm not aware of, would love to see some credible sources.

The bottom line is we need it and before there was science, there was nature and humans are naturally designed to consume meat, vegetables, fruit & grains.

We have been doing this for thousands of years.

Only recently because of fanatics have people concocted all of these ridiculous diets and fads that prey upon the weak minded and uneducated.

I bet you guys think that detox drinks cleanse the body as well...LOL

Or that rogaine grows back dead hair follicles.

People that choose these routes are lazy and aren't willing to put in the real effort necessary to live a healthy life.

You want to lose weight, eat healthy, work out, stop drinking alcohol, and get plenty of sleep. Pretty simple.

Processed foods, pop, alcohol, candy, junk food, this is the shit that kills you.

Not fresh lean meats.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Only you would read an article around the results of going meatless and come up with the excuse that she wasn't eating enough fruits and vegetables

Also these results are from a study, not a single person's testimony. Thats what you were posting. Easy to mistake

Her case is far from unique. "I hear from vegetarians every day; they have this terrible depression and anxiety, and they don't understand why," says Lierre Keith, author of The Vegetarian Myth. "People think they're eating a beautiful, righteous diet, but they don't realize there's a potential dark side."

It's true that many of America's estimated 8 million vegetarians are drawn to the diet's promise of a healthier weight, heart, and planet. They pass on beef, poultry, and pork, unaware that a growing body of research suggests a link between going meatless and an elevated risk for serious mental disorders.
    It was startling last year when Australian researchers revealed that vegetarians reported being less optimistic about the future than meat eaters. What's more, they were 18 percent more likely to report depression and 28 percent more likely to suffer panic attacks and anxiety. A separate German study backs this up, finding that vegetarians were 15 percent more prone to depressive conditions and twice as likely to suffer anxiety disorders.

Even the pros find the stats confounding in a chicken-or-egg way. "We don't know if a vegetarian diet causes depression and anxiety, or if people who are predisposed to those mental conditions gravitate toward vegetarianism," says Emily Deans, M.D., a Boston psychiatrist who studies the link between food and mood.

Most likely, says Deans, there's truth to both theories. People with anxious, obsessive, or neurotic tendencies might be more inclined to micromanage their plates (in one study, vegetarians had triple the risk of developing an eating disorder compared with meat lovers). Yet experts all agree that, regardless of where you rank on a scale of 1 to OCD, what you swallow plays a major role in what happens in your head.

"Food is a factor in mental health," says Ramsey. "We should be talking about it. You can't just make a sweeping change to your diet and expect it won't have any effect on you mentally."
    Quick: Name some "brain foods." Well, there's avocado. Olive oil. Nuts. Red meat? Not so much. Yet anthropological evidence shows that, long before we could choose to subsist on cashew cheese and tofu, animal flesh provided the energy-dense calories necessary to fuel evolving cerebellums. Without meat, we'd never have matured beyond the mental capacity of herbivores like gorillas.

Today, stronger brains are still powered by beef—or at least, by many of the nutrients commonly found in animal proteins. At the top of the list are B vitamins, which your noggin needs to pump out neurotransmitters such as glutamate; low levels of it have been linked to depression, anxiety, and OCD (sound familiar?). Similarly, meager levels of zinc and iron, two nutrients far more prevalent in meats than veggies, may manifest as moodiness—or worse. "I've had vegetarians come in thinking they're having panic attacks when it's really an iron deficiency," says Deans. Without iron to help blood shuttle oxygen around, the brain gets less O2, leaving it sluggish and more prone to misfiring. Then there's tryptophan, an essential amino acid found almost exclusively in poultry. Your body can't make it on its own and needs it to produce serotonin, a hormone that acts as the brain's natural antidepressant.
    As you go, keep tabs on how you feel, physically and mentally. "Everyone responds to going vegetarian differently," says Rice. "Some feel amazing right away, some may feel the same, and some realize they're better off with a little bit of animal protein in their diets after all."

Isabel Smith, 27, was one of the latter. Just like Drew Ramsey's patient, she was active and energetic and thought a vegetarian diet was the perfect complement to her health-conscious lifestyle. But after a few weeks sans meat, she found herself uncharacteristically weepy. "I was tired and frustrated and got upset more easily, especially over things that wouldn't normally bother me," she says. "I would find myself sad for no reason." Shortly after she started eating meat again, she noticed an uptick in her mood.

The twist? Smith is a registered dietitian. One who now understands personally what she studies professionally: Not everyone is cut out for a life without meat. For many people, it's crucial to realize that the emphasis in food writer Michael Pollan's oft-quoted advice to eat "mostly plants" shouldn't always be on the second word.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitami...ial_production

Also, you seem to be suggesting that we have reached the apex of our evolution. I disagree with this as well.
    I think you need to read it again.

Dude, humans started to evolve, i.e. Our brains got bigger when we started to consume meat.

http://m.livescience.com/23671-eatin...-us-human.html

Originally posted by Darkane
    Moonracer - sincerely curious.. Why did you change your lifestyle? Was it for a girlfriend?

One of my best friends has just become a vegan.

He met a girl she was a vegitarian. He became one too. Later on they both relaxed and started fish and chicken. He went back to some meat. Fast forward to now and they're both reaching for pure vegan.

He was healthy and lean before (always 10% body fat) but not real muscular. Now he's probably 8-10% bodyfat still same muscularity but with additional training. This tells me if he continued to eat meat and train he may have built some more muscle which is AMAZINGLY important for male health later in life.

Basically do what you want, but do it for the right reasons. Changing 100% for a girl... Well good luck on that venture.

And lastly, a bodybuilder who has built his muscle foundation on lean protein tends to maintain a lot if not all of it when they transition to a vegitarian or vegan style, as long as their protein intake from plants is also supplemented with EAA's, and kept to a high ratio of total calories.

Look up Dr Berardi's experiment on this.

Well my initial reason for the lifestyle change is because my spouse and I had a little girl just over a year ago. No big deal right! Except I am 47 yrs old and I'd like to be around as long as possible for her, my spouse and myself. I'd like to be able to actually do stuff with them as opposed to being half crippled from some sort of illness. For most of my adult life I have been fairly healthy and fit, it wasn't until 4 or 5 yrs ago that it deteriorated as I slacked off a bit and hit 195 lbs at 5'10" when I should be in the range of 150 to 175ish. One day I just had enough of feeling like shit and said that's it. I cut out junk food at first and made sure I didn't over eat meanwhile, educating myself on nutrition. After doing a lot of that is when I came to the conclusion that meat, dairy and processed foods were no damn good for you with overwhelming evidence.

So no it wasn't my spouse that turned me onto it, it's the other way around for us. She was a little concerned at first saying well what are we gonna eat? I showed her a bunch of places for recopies and she was intrigued and skeptical in that I wouldn't eat most of that stuff cause I don't like vegetables and also wasn't into eating much fruit either....that's the real kicker! Wtf right? Turns out your mind plays tricks on you as you eat crap food you end up craving it even more just like an addiction. It took several days but I cut it out and I don't actually mind veggies in a cooked meal or a smoothie with fruit in there. I have also been eating a ton of raw fruit as well and to top it off I've always loved grains and nuts.

As far as bodybuilding goes, you don't need as much protein as you are led to believe. The vegan bodybuilders for the most part are just as big as meat eaters that are not on the juice. If they are massive and ripped you can rest assured that they are on the juice. Don't buy the protein powders they are trying to sell you're just wasting your money.

Edit: also forgot to mention the other two reasons I chose the lifestyle. In short, the massive negative impact the cattle industry has on our planet and then of course there's the ethical treatment of the animals as well.
    Last edited by Moonracer; 01-26-2016 at 03:12 PM.

My Ride
    something green

I should adopt the lifestyle of my 100 year old grandfather in law. He eats fish, rice and green tea for every meal, and also smoked 2 packs of cigarettes every day, although the doctor is on him lately about the smoking.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Question for Vegans:

It always boggled my mind that so many Vegans & Vegan establishments like to prepare their Vegan food to look like and taste like meat products?

Why? It makes no sense at all.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast