Quantcast
Recommend Android tablet - $300-$400 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Recommend Android tablet - $300-$400

Default Recommend Android tablet - $300-$400

Hey guys
    I'm looking for a new android tablet, the hard drive really doesn't matter since I just plan on using it for netflix/various apps that don't take much space & web browsing while sitting on the couch.

I was thinking of the Nexus 9, but it's about 1.5 years old now & also impossible to find (without paying an ebay premium of a $200 mark up... unreal...)

Any recommendations? Prefer android over apple so please keep that in mind.

Thanks guys
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I would say the nexus 9 is still more future proof then most other android tablets as far as updates go.

I suggest you buy this from rogers and cancel the plan immediately. Its a great price for the LTE Nexus 9.
    http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...iled=NEXUS9BLK

Originally posted by dr_jared88
    I would say the nexus 9 is still more future proof then most other android tablets as far as updates go.

I suggest you buy this from rogers and cancel the plan immediately. Its a great price for the LTE Nexus 9.
    http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...iled=NEXUS9BLK
    Are you allowed to just cancel it, no drawbacks?

edit: I'm taking a look at the nexus 9 on phonearena.com and comparing it to any other 9" tablet... jeez nothing comes close
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Are you allowed to just cancel it, no drawbacks?

edit: I'm taking a look at the nexus 9 on phonearena.com and comparing it to any other 9" tablet... jeez nothing comes close
    There is a thread on redflagdeals.com about it. Lots of people have apparently done it. You might have to pay the first month for $10 of whatever but I think its worth it.
    Last edited by dr_jared88; 01-26-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Yeah speaking to rep now, he said no negatives / fees to disconnect - MAYBE the first month charge if I use any bit of data, so he said keep the sim card out

Thanks Jared!

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    Asus MemoPad?
    http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B012H2A4FE

That is not even close to a Nexus 9. No comparison.

I'm still really happy with my N9, had it since release. It's extremely fast, and has 6-7ish day battery life with 1-2 hours of use every day. Speakers are still unmatched by any competing tablet as far as I know, they are awesome. It also gets android updates even sooner than my phones haha. Doesn't have any android competition really, even the new Galaxy S2 tablets are not very high end. I also really like that I can just plug a USB stick into the bottom and have unlimited shows and movies for travel, though that isn't a N9 specific feature, it's USB OTG friendly. It's built really well and is a perfect size. The tablet market in general is very stale, hardly anyone is making high end tablets anymore. Apple isn't even updating the iPad on a regular basis anymore. If you want a high end tablet right now you have no choice but to buy one that is 1-3 years old.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Mitsu, got any light bleed issue with yours?

Looks like that Roger's deal is the last retailer left with Nexus 9, may want to jump on that train before it's totally gone. Looks like tablets are going to continue in Pixel line which is too big IMO.

My Ride
    This and that.

In the market for something similar but with a twist. Wondering if someone has recommendations?

I need a tablet that is also good for taking handwritten notes with a stylus or whatever. I did research and looks like Microsoft Surface 3 of Samsung Note Pro would suit my needs. The latter is impossible to find and the former quite pricey still. I will end up pulling a trigger on one of those eventually, but figured I'd ask if someone has any other recommendations at all? I don't think the iPad Pro is worth it for me so that's out.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by shakalaka
    In the market for something similar but with a twist. Wondering if someone has recommendations?

I need a tablet that is also good for taking handwritten notes with a stylus or whatever. I did research and looks like Microsoft Surface 3 of Samsung Note Pro would suit my needs. The latter is impossible to find and the former quite pricey still. I will end up pulling a trigger on one of those eventually, but figured I'd ask if someone has any other recommendations at all? I don't think the iPad Pro is worth it for me so that's out.
    What do you need out of it?
    Good battery life?
    Pressure sensitive for graphics?
    Screen size?
    Particular operating system?

I have a Lenovo X61t I could part with if you're interested in used. Currently runs Win 8 but the thing itself is bulky/heavy, and the battery is 8 years old so only holds like a half hour charge. The wacom digitizer is amazing though. Shows barely any signs of age.

Originally posted by shakalaka

I was in the same boat as you so I invested in a chinese replica of the Surface from a pretty solid company by the name of Teclast. The one I got has dual operating systems with similar hardware to the MS Surface. In this case, windows 10 and Android 5.1.1. Tablet comes with a keyboard type cover and the pen is like an extra $22 CDN. Total cost including shipping and exchange rate ended up being around $500 CDN for me. Still waiting for it to come in. There are other models with less specs that would be within the $300 CDN range and still the same dual OS.

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by jwslam

What do you need out of it?
    Good battery life?
    Pressure sensitive for graphics?
    Screen size?
    Particular operating system?

I have a Lenovo X61t I could part with if you're interested in used. Currently runs Win 8 but the thing itself is bulky/heavy, and the battery is 8 years old so only holds like a half hour charge. The wacom digitizer is amazing though. Shows barely any signs of age.
    I need it to be light/fairly portable and have a long battery life. I want to be able to carry it around in my briefcase and pop it out and take notes (handwritten and typed on occasion) on the go. Preferably be able to email the notes later for printing or print directly from the tablet.

Originally posted by Kinjou

I was in the same boat as you so I invested in a chinese replica of the Surface from a pretty solid company by the name of Teclast. The one I got has dual operating systems with similar hardware to the MS Surface. In this case, windows 10 and Android 5.1.1. Tablet comes with a keyboard type cover and the pen is like an extra $22 CDN. Total cost including shipping and exchange rate ended up being around $500 CDN for me. Still waiting for it to come in. There are other models with less specs that would be within the $300 CDN range and still the same dual OS.
    Can you share a link? But at $500 it almost sounds like as expensive as the Surface 3 (not the Pro of course). On Kijiji I can see some Surface 3's for around the $500 mark.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Something like this would be very handy for me as well to log core. If I could load a blank template and draw in symbols in fine detail accurately and write like a normal person, it would avoid the (very boring and meticulous) task of digitizing it later.

Some of those devices used for signatures vary a lot and most are shit - a couple seemed pretty good though.

Is the accurate pressure and precision of touch only found on high end devices? Note my use wouldn't be graphic arts or anything close but simple, small sketches and symbols.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Mitsu, got any light bleed issue with yours?

Looks like that Roger's deal is the last retailer left with Nexus 9, may want to jump on that train before it's totally gone. Looks like tablets are going to continue in Pixel line which is too big IMO.
    A tiny bit, if I purposely look at a pure black screen in the dark. Not at all noticeable in normal use. No worse than any other LCD tablet I've seen. There's always a little variation there unless it's OLED.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by msommers
    Something like this would be very handy for me as well to log core. If I could load a blank template and draw in symbols in fine detail accurately and write like a normal person, it would avoid the (very boring and meticulous) task of digitizing it later.

Some of those devices used for signatures vary a lot and most are shit - a couple seemed pretty good though.

Is the accurate pressure and precision of touch only found on high end devices? Note my use wouldn't be graphic arts or anything close but simple, small sketches and symbols.
    There may be some digitizing pens that do that so you don't need to translate afterwards?

Otherwise I think only higher end is pressure sensitive.

Arrived today

Forgot how fast Nexus products are since they aren't loaded with bloatware like my samsung note 2014.

Again, thanks for the tip Jared!