Quantcast
Calgary and area 9km rule for airports - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Calgary and area 9km rule for airports

Default Calgary and area 9km rule for airports

So courtesy of reddit, I found out about some good web sites with respect to active airports, aerodromes and heliports and this includes private strips as well as what some might have thought were abandoned strips.

The 9km rule would apply in every case listed above because they are all licensed air facilities of one type or another. Web sites used were SkyVector, another SkyVector page and this web site which allows you to draw multiple circles of your choosing in diameter centered on points overlaid on Google Maps.

So looking at my two screen scrapes below there is very little of Calgary which falls outside of the 9km rule...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So drones are pretty much illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Pretty sure I had posted this was the case the last few times this came up. Pretty much illegal to fly within city limits.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    So drones are pretty much illegal?
    Current rule is 150m away from buildings, moving cars, and people who isn't part of drone flying party and can't be more than 90m above ground.

With Nosehill park fully covered by the 9km rudius from YYC. Drones are pretty much outlawed within the city/urban setting.

But I think it's the 9km from YYC will be actively enforced. The rest is more of a liability issue if you crash (or NIMBY type narc on you). New rule will be in place Dec 2016 so all these rules may change again.

Drone insurance is around $500/yr for recreational or $1500/yr for commercial. But without concrete laws, I don't know if they will ever pay out.

My Ride
    16' IS350 AWD / '93 LHD FD3S

the fuckn money zones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    bus

Wasn't there a guy on here always posting videos on his YouTube channel flying in the city over houses/streets and vehicles

Originally posted by pfis300
    the fuckn money zones.
    For your lower circle you're SOL as per what Extrema said. Your upper one is not in city limits.

My Ride
    Hatred

Didn't his name start with spikers
    -U

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by speedog
    For your lower circle you're SOL as per what Extrema said. Your upper one is not in city limits.
    The lower one is in sage hill and I can think of some spots where it could be done as long as people weren't around. It wouldn't be a very big area though.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by schocker

The lower one is in sage hill and I can think of some spots where it could be done as long as people weren't around. It wouldn't be a very big area though.
    During RC helicopter days, was playing at a empty school playground and I'm the only one there. Cop came by and ask me if I saw someone came by and never stopped me from flying. But rule for RC and Planes were never this strict and MAAC has cheap insurance for coverage.

Drones are not covered by MAAC and rule are much more strict because of their abilities and FPV range was surpasses any RC hobbie aircrafts from the past.

Originally posted by redblack
    Wasn't there a guy on here always posting videos on his YouTube channel flying in the city over houses/streets and vehicles
    I think we can get away with this for another year. Public is more aware of drones than other hobbie aircrafts. So backlash, new law and increase enforcement will be coming. Especially when it warms up and people who got these in Christmas are itching to fly them.

Ironically while FAA request for registration, the rule is much more lax and only requires 25 feet from objects, not 150m.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-28-2016 at 06:37 PM.