Quantcast
Sous Vide, who's doing it? - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide, who's doing it?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, wanted to know everyone's opinion on sous vide chicken and internal temperatures. Was looking at a receipie for chicken breasts, and it suggested a water temp of 146F. Normally chicken is cooked to 160F or 165F depending on your guide.

So, we're undercooking chicken? Does the extra time take care of that? What's going on here?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    Think of it as two ways of pissing your wife off. You can either drop a deuce in the dishwasher, or you can re-arrange her jewelry one at a time for the next three weeks.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Made some 145 degree chicken breasts tonight, 90 minutes. Definitely perfect time-trump for me.

This thing is just a miracle, dinner cooked while I drove someone to the airport.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Strider
    That looks like a rib roast, in which case 26 hours is suuuuper overkill. 2 hours and a sear would've been fine for that (prime rib steak is plenty tender right off the grill).

Where sous vide really shines is taking a traditionally tough cut (like blade/chuck) and breaking down the collagen, so you get the tenderness of prime rib and a richer beefier flavor for 1/3 the price.
    Yeah, it was a rib roast. I just got the time out of the Anova app. dunno?

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Think of it as two ways of pissing your wife off. You can either drop a deuce in the dishwasher, or you can re-arrange her jewelry one at a time for the next three weeks.
    I have more methods than that!

Originally posted by killramos
    Made some 145 degree chicken breasts tonight, 90 minutes. Definitely perfect time-trump for me.

This thing is just a miracle, dinner cooked while I drove someone to the airport.
    Is there a difference in time/temperature between using boneless and skinless chicken breasts vs bone in, skin on chicken breasts?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You could maybe justify adding some extra time for the bone but I wouldn't personally adjust temperature. I have never adjusted times or temps for skin either.

Really just comes down to if you are trying to go for a different texture of meat ( like stringy more pulled chicken for example).

At the end of the day I usually end up leaving it in the water for probably an average 10-15 minutes anyways just due to timing of side dishes. It is pretty insensitive to extra time once it's done so its easier to err on the side of the sous vide being done a bit early compared to other dishes ( the worst is having things done BEFORE the sous vide portion is really ready ).

But don't go with what I have to say, consult the experts like Food Lab/Serious Eats and do your own experimenting!

Even 145F chicken can sometimes gross people out who are used to extremely well done chicken their whole lives. You know the kind of people who need to cut open their meat while cooking to check doneness ( aka my wife )
    Last edited by killramos; 11-29-2016 at 10:57 AM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Originally posted by vw_rabbit2.5

Is there a difference in time/temperature between using boneless and skinless chicken breasts vs bone in, skin on chicken breasts?
    Skin doesn't make a difference, but when cooking chicken with bone I typically up the temperature, especially if there are guests over as it may seem like the chicken is really under if it is their first time. As killramos said, it all comes down to texture (and appearance with bone).

On an unrelated note, made some "austerity steaks" last night. Picked up a cheap roast and sliced it into a couple steaks and dropped it in for 2.5 hours then finished it on the cast iron with butter. I cooked it at a higher temp than I normally do (130F) but it was still delicious, especially considering it was so much cheaper than what I usually pick up. ($12/kg vs $40-45).

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    ---

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Meat started as a blade roast... cut it into a strip, smashed it with a rolling pin for a while, good old Dr. Pepper marinade, sous vide at 128, topped with carrot top pesto. Also smoked some carrots, then sous vide at 182 and puréed. Then of course a stuffed backed potato

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Over the past few days I've done shrimp, steelhead trout, carrots, steak, and creme brule. Cooking with this thing is a breeze.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Do you guys have a separate pot dedicated for sous vide? If so, how long do you keep the water for?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I just use a big stock pot and dump the water after every cook. That way I start with hot water ( usually ~130F ) each time and minimized warm-up time and electricity use.

Maybe not the best method but I have nowhere to store a giant container of water anyways. Have considered buying a cheap cooler ( to minimized heat loss ) and cutting the lid to fit the Anova though if I end up doing a lot of bigger longer cooks.

fact.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Cooler ftw... 19hrs after shutting it down from a set temp of 129, and it's still at 89, also VERY little evaporation... it's the only way to go for long cooks

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I use a cooler as well for longer cooks, as i have had it wake me up with a low water warning before when using a large pot. I change out water every time...lotsa deposits come out of the water with 24+ hour cooks, dont want them overly coating the heating coil

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I run one of those cambro plastic tubs like you see on the cooking shows. I like to see the water, and not as much heat transfer as a metal pot.
    I bought the lid, and If I can get off my ass and notch it, it should cut down the evaporation to nearly nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by kenny

On an unrelated note, made some "austerity steaks" last night. Picked up a cheap roast and sliced it into a couple steaks and dropped it in for 2.5 hours then finished it on the cast iron with butter. I cooked it at a higher temp than I normally do (130F) but it was still delicious, especially considering it was so much cheaper than what I usually pick up. ($12/kg vs $40-45).

I tried to cook an "austerity steak" based on the temperature for a tough cut on Chef Steps and it came out well done:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...perature-guide

It didn't look as good as the one you cooked though.

What temperature are you guys cooking the tougher cuts of beef?
    Has an IQ of 138, but can't figure out basic algebra.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

129 for 4hrs after a 24hr soda based marinade on the blade roast steaks was money, beautiful colour and texture...

Boneless chicken breasts twice now at 146.3 for 90 minutes. I will never cook chicken any other way again.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Added this to my sous vide wish list:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/t...porchetta.html

now to find a monster pork belly...superstore aint gonna cut it

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Sunterra in Britannia often has large chunks of Pork Belly... you just have to ask the butcher.

Bon ton meat market in crowfoot. In between visions and the Ford dealer.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have found decent pork belly at T&T a few times. Not bad prices either compared to Bon Ton.

fact.

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast