Quantcast
Sous Vide, who's doing it? - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide, who's doing it?

My Ride
    Grimace

I did pork tenderloin with mine last week. Was so tender and moist. Best I have ever made.

This week I did some striploin steaks from costco, but they were pretty fatty/gristly so it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Will have to try again with some higher quality steaks.

My Ride
    Hybrid

I've got an extra code too, if anyone wants it.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by schocker
    I did pork tenderloin with mine last week. Was so tender and moist. Best I have ever made.

This week I did some striploin steaks from costco, but they were pretty fatty/gristly so it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Will have to try again with some higher quality steaks.
    I bought a case of strip loins from Balzac meats from a fundraiser and they are awesome. Cut very thick but the strips themselves aren't too wide so still able to be eaten in a sitting. Had some pretty incredible results with them.

Thicker cuts make the sous vide really shine as you don't have to worry too much about overcooking when you sear them off after the fact. That and if there is a big hunk of gristle it basically doesn't render at all at med-rare temps. Need to really put a hard sear on the fat cap of the striploins to render to make them turn out well.

Made some awesome striploins last night in mine, slice of crisped bacon under each steak, with the top slathered in a horseradish-butter paste.

Flavor was actually really nice and mild but the horeradish was awesome. Just finished with salt and pepper at the end.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

For those of you using the Ziplock/ immersion method, what type are you using? I tried 36 hour ribs this week, and there seemed to be a little too much liquid in each bag when I took them out, making me believe water is getting in.

Regardless, the end result was sooo tender. They were falling apart while trying to finish on the grill. (Hickory BBQ sauce, with Tabasco and liquid smoke FTW)

This thread has been food-life changing. The stress of grilling a perfect doneness is gone.

I had to take advantage of the Anova promo, and get one for my parents for Christmas (their ribs/ BBQ could really use improvement ) For anyone that may not have received the $70 off promo, they have a $40 off available to everyone as well.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by NoSup4U
    For those of you using the Ziplock/ immersion method, what type are you using? I tried 36 hour ribs this week, and there seemed to be a little too much liquid in each bag when I took them out, making me believe water is getting in.
    I'm just using regular ziplock freezer bags. 36 hours is going to have a hell of a lot of juice, particularly out of a rib. Not surprised... If your water was still clear, you didnt have a leak. I find the regular ziplocks are better then the zipper ones. What temp were you doing them at?

it's pretty apparent when you do leak (i had a pork rib poke a hole through a bag, came home to a soup bath)

Originally posted by Brent.ff

I'm just using regular ziplock freezer bags. 36 hours is going to have a hell of a lot of juice, particularly out of a rib. Not surprised... If your water was still clear, you didnt have a leak. I find the regular ziplocks are better then the zipper ones. What temp were you doing them at?

it's pretty apparent when you do leak (i had a pork rib poke a hole through a bag, came home to a soup bath)
    Cooking at 145, using the same bags. Really didn't expect to see that much liquid. The water was clear, but the cover was a little discolored from evaporation, which I just assumed was from the marinade leaking. Still a lot of learning to do.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

It's pretty obvious when you don't have a good seal, last pork belly I did I had a faulty bag, started bubbling as soon as I put it in, took it out, dried it off and double bagged it. When I took it out there wasn't even a drop in the outer bag... 16hr of cooking fatty meat though so I thought it leaked also but no it was just that much meat juice... which turned into meat jelly in the fridge

Think next time I'm going to make pork soup dumplings out of the meat jelly

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by killramos

I bought a case of strip loins from Balzac meats from a fundraiser and they are awesome. Cut very thick but the strips themselves aren't too wide so still able to be eaten in a sitting. Had some pretty incredible results with them.

Thicker cuts make the sous vide really shine as you don't have to worry too much about overcooking when you sear them off after the fact. That and if there is a big hunk of gristle it basically doesn't render at all at med-rare temps. Need to really put a hard sear on the fat cap of the striploins to render to make them turn out well.

Made some awesome striploins last night in mine, slice of crisped bacon under each steak, with the top slathered in a horseradish-butter paste.

Flavor was actually really nice and mild but the horeradish was awesome. Just finished with salt and pepper at the end.
    Ya I was figuring that. Tried to get a good sear on the sides but it wasn't enough. I have a few canada prime steaks from costco in the freezer so I will try those this weekend. Had pan fried a couple before and they were delicious.

For those using ziploc though, if you are using it enough, probably a good idea to get a foodsaver from costco. Really convenient to have for sous vide and also just packing stuff for the freezer.

This should give a good idea on bags full of juice
    http://www.scienceofcooking.com/meat/slow_cooking1.htm
    140°F/60°C -- Meat suddely releases lots of juice, shrinks noticebly, and becomes chewy as a result of collagen denaturing which squeezes out liquids

Searzall is on sale today https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still overpriced for what it is but it's cheaper than the USD conversion.

thanks to all the posts I finally broke down and bought one with a code.. can't wait for it to be here.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Code for $70 off. Let us know if used.

anova1-f3f4e85t
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just bought some free range duck breasts stoked to give them some time in the Anova, interested to see how they turn out with the post sear. Also bought a whole duck but I'll probabaly roast that.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

$70 CAD off for everyone for black friday:

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-prec...100423633&ct=t(PreBF_Email)&goal=0_f33347b916-b99d1a6987-100423633&mc_cid=b99d1a6987&mc_eid=ce4f5793f7

I used the Gobble40 code so I got $40 off the bluetooth precision cooker, but after emailing Anova, they gave me an additional $30 off since I ordered a couple days before the $70 off coupon was emailed to me.

Good on them for honoring future discounts!

Canada Post delivered mine yesterday. Made some overnight bacon. Best bacon I've ever had. Chicken breasts tonight.

never heard of over night bacon. going to have to try that out
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Ram

finally caved and ordered with the $70 off, couldnt resist!

Did chicken breast for the first time tonight. Cooked them at 149 for an hour. They were pretty good. Juicy and some sections really soft other sections kind of chewy. I think a little bit lower temp and more time.

How do you guys do your chicken breast?

My Ride
    M

I just did duck legs tonight. It was super juicy, very delicious. I had it cook at 180F for 8 hours. I am thinking of using the same temperature and time for chicken thighs.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    $70 CAD off for everyone for black friday:

https://anovaculinary.com/store/

Use the code "ANOVALOVE" for another $34 off on top of the black friday deal.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast