Quantcast
Sous Vide, who's doing it? - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide, who's doing it?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by lint
    never heard of over night bacon. going to have to try that out
    tried this last night... can't say this improved on bacon at all..

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Brent.ff

Did you crisp it up in a pan after? I find it renders the bacon down so it's super quick to finish off in the pan, making it crispy, yet not over cooked

Originally posted by ?????

Use the code "ANOVALOVE" for another $34 off on top of the black friday deal.
    anyone able to add this anovalove code on top of the $70/$80 off? i had it for a second then when i pushed next to checkout, it disappeared. was happy with $150 CAD for the wifi model but $190 is making me think twice :P

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by ercchry

Did you crisp it up in a pan after? I find it renders the bacon down so it's super quick to finish off in the pan, making it crispy, yet not over cooked
    Ya i followed the instructions and crisped only one side...Didn't enjoy the texture that much, so i tried the next set with crisping both sides, and it was just regular ol bacon... except done quicker in the morning I guess..

I'll stick with doing a full pork belly where you can cut it into cubes...cause now that is kickass

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, belly is awesome. Sous vide the whole thing, then put it in the fridge and just reheat your smaller servings. Pork for days!

My Ride
    A250

Originally posted by sabad66

anyone able to add this anovalove code on top of the $70/$80 off? i had it for a second then when i pushed next to checkout, it disappeared. was happy with $150 CAD for the wifi model but $190 is making me think twice :P
    I wasn't able to get the code working either. It may have been a one time use and someone else jumped on it?

Hopefully another one pops up.

My Ride
    bus

The extra code worked for a few hours this morning until they caught on, I managed to snag a wifi model for $150

Originally posted by Brent.ff

Really? Did you sear it quick in a pan after? Only one side really needs to be done.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by mix123

Really? Did you sear it quick in a pan after? Only one side really needs to be done.
    ohh ya...still just think it's bacon and the sous vide didnt add anything to it..

guess it kept it from shrinking 2/3 size, but other then that it was pretty well just bacon..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Picked up a cambro 12x18x9 containter and a lid from the wholesale club for $47, and have a four and a half pound roast running right now. Still debating what method I'll use for the post-sear. BBQ would be easiest, and I'm super lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Rotate it through the broiler?

I love me some broiler
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, I will be running some potatoes and cauliflower through the oven, so it'll already be hot . . .

Will try to post results.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So here's what the roast looked like. Sorry about the po-tay-toe quality photos, hope they tell the story a bit.

Here it is after coming out of the bag. It ended up being in there around 26 hours. It was rubbed with some steak spice, and a small amount of Carolina mustard sauce. It's a bit grey in this pic, but partly that's the lighting. It was feeling like it would fall apart as I moved it around with my tongs.

after a quick sear under the broiler in the oven, about sixty seconds a side. Rack was too close to the broiler, and the fat was spattering up into it, making lots of smoke, and setting off the smoke alarm. My kids were not impressed. Much better visual.

This is the money shot. Was aiming for "just less than medium" doneness, and I think I hit it right. This cut doesn't show that edge-to edge uniformity the way the food blogs do. I think it's just that the meat has very different character in different spots.

Another close-up.

End result was extremely tender. This is a very fatty cut, and at these temps, not much of that fat melts away, so you end up doing a lot of trimming. I was pretty happy with it, wife was happy. I'm going to call it a success!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also, wanted to know everyone's opinion on sous vide chicken and internal temperatures. Was looking at a receipie for chicken breasts, and it suggested a water temp of 146F. Normally chicken is cooked to 160F or 165F depending on your guide.

So, we're undercooking chicken? Does the extra time take care of that? What's going on here?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I just use the Kenji Lopez Food Lab time and temp guide as a basis. That guy knows his shit.

Did some 136F Duck Breast on the weekend with nopthing but butter and herb de provence in the bag. Needed nothing else, so good.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Found out this morning that I have a broken bag, every guy's nightmare I'm telling you.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, wanted to know everyone's opinion on sous vide chicken and internal temperatures. Was looking at a receipie for chicken breasts, and it suggested a water temp of 146F. Normally chicken is cooked to 160F or 165F depending on your guide.

So, we're undercooking chicken? Does the extra time take care of that? What's going on here?

You're effectively pasteurizing your chicken once you're past 130F and a certain amount of time (read more here:http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/t...east.html#safe), so you could technically cook it at 130F, provided you cooked it long enough (though the texture would probably be awful)

Personally, I find the 140 a bit 'spongy', and 145-150F a nicer texture. That's also coming from only using frozen chicken breasts, so i expect it would be a lot better with fresh.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 11-28-2016 at 09:30 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Basically with the longer times you're pasteurizing the meat... there are guides that will tell you how long different proteins take at certain thicknesses... I've don't lots of chicken and haven't died yet... it's a weird texture though, higher the temperature the more traditional it will feel in the mouth, which is probably the way to go to ease the family into it.

My Ride
    Hybrid

It was feeling like it would fall apart as I moved it around with my tongs.

End result was extremely tender.
    That looks like a rib roast, in which case 26 hours is suuuuper overkill. 2 hours and a sear would've been fine for that (prime rib steak is plenty tender right off the grill).

Where sous vide really shines is taking a traditionally tough cut (like blade/chuck) and breaking down the collagen, so you get the tenderness of prime rib and a richer beefier flavor for 1/3 the price.

Think of it as there being 2 ways to kill ants. You can use a stick of dynamite for instant kill, or you can use a magnifying glass and slowly roast them to death.

The food safety temps listed by the fda are instant kill temps.

Douglas Baldwin's site is pretty much the Sous Vide bible. Give it a read: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Safety

He goes into the heat transfer equation with thermal diffusivity of different foods and logaritmic destruction of pathogens to calculate time/temperature tables to pasteurize meat... nerdy stuff engineers can appreciate.

Chefsteps and SeriousEats are also terrific resources.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I tried the Searzall for the first time and I am not entirely convinced about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast