Quantcast
Summer Tow Rig - Options - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is the best way to tow my trailer this summer?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rent trucks as required

14 20.00%
  • Buy a "summer only" tow beast and sell in the fall

26 37.14%
  • Buy a new truck to keep

22 31.43%
  • Other options - please describe

8 11.43%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Tow Rig - Options

Originally posted by dino_martini

Saw this in the paper. Not sure what the deal with a 6 month lease is. Maybe so they can stock their used lot or sell them in the states?
    I work at GSL and can help anyone that has any questions.
    You can reply to this post or PM me.

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, mods feel free to remove this if it's not allowed.

It's a six month in-house lease that we offer, during that period you are allowed to put 12,000 kms on the truck.

The upfront costs are $988 + your first payment of $599 plus tax, and then it's $599 plus tax every month from that point on out.

Once you return the vehicle after 6 months it will be shipped to the United States, which is a win-win both for us as well as the customer leasing the truck.

MSRP on these trucks is $78,140
    These are 2500HD SLT Crewcab Duramax trucks.

Again, if this is not allowed please remove my post.
    Otherwise everyone can feel free to ask me any questions, I have no problem being completely open with everyone.

Cheers

Originally posted by Ukyo8

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, mods feel free to remove this if it's not allowed.

It's a six month in-house lease that we offer, during that period you are allowed to put 12,000 kms on the truck.

The upfront costs are $988 + your first payment of $599 plus tax, and then it's $599 plus tax every month from that point on out.

Once you return the vehicle after 6 months it will be shipped to the United States, which is a win-win both for us as well as the customer leasing the truck.

Otherwise everyone can feel free to ask me any questions, I have no problem being completely open with everyone.

Cheers
    this all makes sense... tons of it

the intention is to hit targets, to ensure they maintain that position of being a large volume store (allocation and incentives)... but short enough lease time to retain most of the residual value without taking a hit on depreciation...

then boom, throw them down to the US for the 30% net profit, on top of making whatever margin it was the get someone to lease that net new truck for 6 months.

Explains why some sales manager told me: "what recession".

Originally posted by Ukyo8

Cheers
    What's the residual? And what happens if the truck doesn't meet that value?

On my last lease the dealer appraised the current value of the vehicle at about $5,000 LESS than the residual, and required me to make up the difference if I was returning the vehicle.
    I said "this vehicle is in TIP TOP shape, and almost HALF of the allowed mileage".
    His response: "yeah well we're in a recession now and cars aren't worth what they were a few years ago".

Make sure you know how the "residual" is treated in your lease contract.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Cos

That blows, I've never heard of an open lease like that. I always assumed that is the whole reason you lease, to protect yourself from that.
    I've leased many vehicles and have never heard of that either. I don't think any manufacturer leasing arm does this. Residual is set and all the risk is on the value is on their end. Furthermore, lease has nothing to do with a dealer. They are just a middleman in the whole process when it comes to buyback. Third party leases may be different.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

On my last lease the dealer appraised the current value of the vehicle at about $5,000 LESS than the residual, and required me to make up the difference if I was returning the vehicle.
    I said "this vehicle is in TIP TOP shape, and almost HALF of the allowed mileage".
    His response: "yeah well we're in a recession now and cars aren't worth what they were a few years ago".

this is very intresting...

I know when looking at a "Trade-in" my friend ran into the same problem when dealing with another manufacturer...

However, I really think this is a tactic to make more money, as I can tell you, that right now... my dealer and 2 other used car brokers are offering me an incentive with them taking over my lease (not yet up) and discounting my purchase.

Originally posted by Aleks

I've leased many vehicles and have never heard of that either. I don't think any manufacturer leasing arm does this. Residual is set and all the risk is on the value is on their end. Furthermore, lease has nothing to do with a dealer. They are just a middleman in the whole process when it comes to buyback. Third party leases may be different.
    In-house lease by McKay Pontiac. (Family business) When they sold out to the new dealer/owner, they called in all leases. The new GM of the place basically pulled out a two page 22pt font document of legalese. (that I had signed at the start of the lease) He pointed to this and that and the other, and said "basically it says you promise to return a vehicle that will be worth the residual amount. So if you return a vehicle that was beat to shit and not worth the residual, you have to make up the difference.".

In my case, the economy tanked, and the vehicle is not worth the residual.

I asked "who determines the vehicles worth"
    "We do" he said.
    I said "well you better take me to court then cuz I'm not paying that".
    They sent it to collections, judgement went against me. I went back in and he said "If you cut me a check for half that amount, we'll call it even".
    That judgement went on my credit report and screwed me for years.

I'm pretty sure the guy was a crook and shafted me. I didn't have the money OR the time to pursue it further.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 02-25-2016 at 11:20 AM.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Wasn't your residual value stated in the lease contract?

My Ride
    KTM

Open ended leases are the norm for fleet vehicles and are typically not used for consumers. Most organizations leasing vehicles use this method.

In your case I am guessing that whoever set up the lease was lofty on the residual value to decrease your payment however in the end you paid the difference. Likewise if the vehicle would have sold for over the residual value you would have received a credit.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:02 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by r3ccOs

this all makes sense... tons of it

the intention is to hit targets, to ensure they maintain that position of being a large volume store (allocation and incentives)... but short enough lease time to retain most of the residual value without taking a hit on depreciation...

then boom, throw them down to the US for the 30% net profit, on top of making whatever margin it was the get someone to lease that net new truck for 6 months.

Explains why some sales manager told me: "what recession".
    Edit: Misread your post

The lease is not really profitable it's just a means to turn it into a "used vehicle" and ship it south as well as to hit our new targets.

The US market is getting saturated at this point, and anything you ship south is held at customs for 30 days, so your money is tied up for about 45-60 days total.
    It's really not as great as it sounds, a lot of dealers are slowing USA shipments way down at this point.
    Last edited by Ukyo8; 02-25-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

The residual is $59,500
    If the truck is worth less at the end of the lease we swallow the pill, so there is no risk to you as a client.

from kicking tires driving a few rigs recently... if you are going with a gas motor for an 8000+ rig (my 32 footer autumridge is 7260 + stuff and water)... I really suggest you get something on the larger size for displacement...

i.e. Hemi 5.7, 6.0/6.2 Vortec engines

I'd probably go with an extended cab 1500 2wd w/ a tow package with the highest rear end gears to ensure you have the correct GVWR/payload package...

with all halfton owners playing with payload is a bigger issue than the trailer weight

the hitch weight on my trailer is 1000lbs @ stock weight (7,240) which is about 13% on the double axel setup...

my F150's payload w/ max tow (3.73) ecoboost is 1800lbs... on the 7650 gvwr

so once you factor in an additional 300lbs to the trailer pin for water/stuff, (1300lbs), its really only 500lbs for occupants and whatever in the bed.

mind you, it makes more sense to load up the trailer than the truck itself, plus its a semi floating rear axel, not a full floating like the big boys.

my truck is newer and is a crew cab with a short box...

I really think that an extended with a 6.5 box with a trailer package and the biggest engine is your friend.

Now for me... I've been kicking tires with the 3/4 ton world and well, they are all comparable in the gas world (6.2/6.0/6.4/5.7)
    the Ford and Ram ride rougher due to solid front axles, but only marginally when compared to the Chevy/GMC

they all ride rough, and only the Ram has the best sized crew cab.

today when driving the 2500 (2013)... I was impressed with the torque of the 6.0, but it does run out of steam and overall lacks any kind of acceleration when compared to a half ton (almost any half ton now, with the updates to the 5.3)

what I was disappointed with.. even though the payload is 1100lbs greater than mine, was that the tow rating on the GT4/3.73 final drive ratio... is only rated for a measly 9500!!!

I have to say that the ride was probably 30-40% stiffer than my F150 max tow, and yet it tows "less" by 1600lbs...

Okay, sure when it comes down to handling weight at this limitation, this will do it WAAAY better guaranteed... but I have a feeling the 6.0 is going to run out of steam way faster than the ecoboost will when heading out west.

what I find the 6.0 vortec in the 2500 to feel like, is a good running triton 5.4 in the 13th gen f150. Really torquey driving around... but when it winds up, all it does is make more noise than power

anyways... my beef:

2500HD 6.0 Vortec 3.73 (since My2015 only available in 4.1) max tow is 9500, yet payload is 2900lbs

2500 RAM 5.7 3.73/4.10 - Payload is 2200-2300 and tow capabilty from 11,200 - 13k

weird right?
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 02-28-2016 at 11:19 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Re-upping this thread to see if anyone has new thoughts that are on-topic. Been trolling kijiji a lot harder recently, and there are a few decent looking options. Have also updated my budget to be UNDER $10k.
    A few GMC options either 1500HD or 2500 with the 6.0L gas engine and 4 speed trans.
    A few Ford with the 6.0L Diesel engine. Yes yes I know about that engine. Have been out and driven a few, crawled around under them. Most are bagged to shit so far.

Would love to buy a ford with the V10, but they are insanely rare in pickup form. Seems common in F550 service body format, but that doesn't work for my needs.

Only somewhat related, but FUCK how annoying autotrader website is! Thought I'd check there to see if anything different was showing up, but drove me insane. So hard to filter down to what I want. Will stick to kijiji.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    2011 5.0 FX4

I have also been looking at the diesel world but the prices for rigs are insane anything good is gone within hours it seems. I love my 5.0 but if I'm hauling through the mountains I want to be sure I have the best rig for it. Plus if I ever get a diesel then I'll have the box space for a quad.
    Last edited by stevelou; 04-25-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Gotta haul a trailer from Grande Prairie to Calgary tomorrow with a 2015 gmc 2500hd with the 6.0l. Not looking forward to it. Great trucks for hauling, but truck has to be high rpm to get heavy loads up a hill. And forget about fuel mileage. Buddy with a newer Ram 3500 diesel with a goose neck flat deck trailer gets 950km to a 110 litre tank. I just got 550 km out of a 130 litre tank hauling a hitch pull flat deck

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Would love to buy a ford with the V10, but they are insanely rare in pickup form. Seems common in F550 service body format, but that doesn't work for my needs.

Wierd, when we picked up ours (2001 F250 V10) there was a few 2000s-vintage V10s to be found still.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-25-2016 at 11:55 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Maybe because I truly need the crew cab. If anyone finds me a crew cab V10 ford pickup (not flatbed/chassis cab/service body/dump bed), I would be really grateful.

If it was 2005 or newer, I'd be ecstatic, because that would mean the 5 speed transmission.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

It shouldn't be that hard to find a v10? There are TONS up here.

And seriously, please, for the love of god, do not get a 6.0L 4 speed truck. I have been so overwhelmingly disappointed in them. And Ive only been towing car haulers and equipment trailers, way easier to tow than a travel trailer.

6.0L 6 speed with 4.10's? Sure. I'm not telling you to buy a diesel, I get that you want to keep costs down, just stay away from the 6.0L 4 speed trucks. You'll be in 3rd gear towing at 3k rpm the whole trip. As mentioned earlier, I've towed with a gmt900 6.0L 4 speed max tow, a 2005 1500hd 6.0L 4.10 4l80e, and a gmt900 2500hd 6.0L 6 speed 4.10. The 2500hd was the best, you should be able to find a crew cab for ~$7500-8500 right now.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Link to me one of these "tons" of V10 crew cabs. I'm not looking to drive to Grande Prairie, but red deer and lethbridge are okay.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast