Quantcast
New Rider - Advice, tips and comments? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Rider - Advice, tips and comments?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

See, I really like the stock exhaust on my FZ. I also really like the Akro on my CBR, but I picked up the FZ to be more of a longer distance bike.

My issue with the Duke is the single cylinder. After riding with a 1cyl on my grom, the vibrations were always a point of contention for me, and reviews show the same thing for the Duke at higher RPM.

Sure, it's lighter than the Honda, and similar power output, and it's even cheaper, but in Calgary you're limiting yourself to a single dealer vs 2 dealers, and Honda tends to have a lot of aftermarket support just due to sheer volume.

Is the Duke 390/RC390 pretty awesome? Yes. Would I like to ride one? Yes. Would I buy one over a CB500F? I'd definitely consider it, before buying an FZ-07 instead.
    The engine is balanced and pretty damn smooth vibration wise... Apparently the 690 is worse, bust it's one of the bigger singles out there.... And Blackfoot and cycleworks carry KTM

My Ride
    06 S2000

Just going off reviews saying the 390 isn't so great for sustained highway use due to vibration.

I wasn't aware Cycleworks were a KTM dealer. I refuse to give business to Blackfoot. Nothing like wandering for 30 minutes without even being able to ask for the attention of sales staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Just going off reviews saying the 390 isn't so great for sustained highway use due to vibration.

I wasn't aware Cycleworks were a KTM dealer. I refuse to give business to Blackfoot. Nothing like wandering for 30 minutes without even being able to ask for the attention of sales staff.
    Strange because I've had nothing but good experiences so far with Blackfoot Motors. But then again my friend works there so maybe that has something to do with it.

Originally posted by JordanAndrew

I'm actually not a huge fan of the stock exhaust of the FZ-07 as I found it to be too quite, almost sounds like a scooter. I'm not sure if that's the same thing for the FZ-09's but definitely for the FZ-07's.

I could care less about the the extra hp if any but the sound of a bike with a nice exhaust note is heavenly

My Ride
    06 S2000

I mean, this is a little off topic, but my personal experiences with the shops I've dealt with:

Parts/Gear
    -Canada's Motorcycle - Great prices, typically get all my gear from here
    -Bow Cycle North - Great service, higher prices, reluctant to price match
    -GW Cycle - Great service, higher prices, reluctant to price match
    -Blackfoot - Terrible service, can't even ask for someone to help

Service
    -Rocky Mountain Honda - Great service, warranty work
    -Pro-Am/Adventure Honda - Terrible service, overcharged, gave bad advice ("you need to change your oil that only has 20km on it, because it's not Motul")
    -Redline Motorsports - Fantastic Service/Prices, will consistently take my bikes from here on out.

Sales
    -Rocky Mountain Honda - Great sales, bought my CBR from these folks at a bike show one year
    -Pro-Am/Adventure Honda - Great sales, bought my Grom from these folks, went out of their way to deliver the bike.
    My car sounds like shit.

I also won't go to Blackfoot anymore. All four of the people I've dealt with there had attitudes and sounded like they had better things to do than answer my questions, despite me buying stuff, every time. That includes a bike and all my starter gear. It's not like I was wasting half an hour asking a guy about gloves.

I've bought a few things from Rocky Mountain Honda and they've always been friendly. I'll continue to go there for tune-up parts just cause they're so close to me.

Redline is the only place I'll take my bikes for service.

I've always had a good experience in every department with Blackfoot Motorsports myself. But it's been awhile
    2 bikes purchased, plenty of gear, parts and one service trip all been great there.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mibz
    I also won't go to Blackfoot anymore. All four of the people I've dealt with there had attitudes and sounded like they had better things to do than answer my questions, despite me buying stuff, every time. That includes a bike and all my starter gear. It's not like I was wasting half an hour asking a guy about gloves.

I've bought a few things from Rocky Mountain Honda and they've always been friendly. I'll continue to go there for tune-up parts just cause they're so close to me.

Redline is the only place I'll take my bikes for service.

I mean, this is a little off topic, but my personal experiences with the shops I've dealt with:

Parts/Gear
    -Canada's Motorcycle - Great prices, typically get all my gear from here
    -Bow Cycle North - Great service, higher prices, reluctant to price match
    -GW Cycle - Great service, higher prices, reluctant to price match
    -Blackfoot - Terrible service, can't even ask for someone to help

Service
    -Rocky Mountain Honda - Great service, warranty work
    -Pro-Am/Adventure Honda - Terrible service, overcharged, gave bad advice ("you need to change your oil that only has 20km on it, because it's not Motul&quot
    -Redline Motorsports - Fantastic Service/Prices, will consistently take my bikes from here on out.

Sales
    -Rocky Mountain Honda - Great sales, bought my CBR from these folks at a bike show one year
    -Pro-Am/Adventure Honda - Great sales, bought my Grom from these folks, went out of their way to deliver the bike.

Hmm, well I guess I've been getting lucky so far. I bought my FZ-07 there for a decent price. I then shopped around other local stores for gear/parts and Blackfoot actually ended up price matching everything from me, EVEN ONLINE PRICES! Although the online website has to be verified and not just some random shop.

I found Baysideperformance.ca to have some good prices on certain things and Blackfoot price matched everything for me.

I've also had a pleasant time at GW Cycle so far. I bought my Icon persuit gloves from them and my Shoei GT Air Helmet. Again, GW cycle will price match any canadian retailer that has their prices online.

Now if winter can just stop already and let's get this spring going ASAP so I can ride, that'll be great! haha!

Thanks for the tips guys, some good points in here. I'm a newbie myself, got the license a few summers ago but only have the equivalent of one season under my belt.

I've got a couple questions though, first off what are some good curvy roads to hit in the area?

Secondly, and it's a bit random but whats the protocol on sidewalk parking? i.e. If I'm riding to the mall, gym...etc is it cool to just park on the sidewalk near the entrance? I've seen bikes do it all the time but I was never sure if it was actually allowed or not. Also on this subject where do you guys keep your helmets when parked? Helmet lock, carry it with you, backpack?

I try not to do anything that invites people to fuck with my vehicles, so I don't park on the sidewalk unless it's a semi-private or private building and there are multiple bikes there every day.

Mall? Never. Even though it's probably the best place to do it, and I'm sure most people would prefer it. It's just asking for trouble in a high-strung city like Calgary.

My Ride

Originally posted by paulb1320
    Thanks for the tips guys, some good points in here. I'm a newbie myself, got the license a few summers ago but only have the equivalent of one season under my belt.

I've got a couple questions though, first off what are some good curvy roads to hit in the area?

Secondly, and it's a bit random but whats the protocol on sidewalk parking? i.e. If I'm riding to the mall, gym...etc is it cool to just park on the sidewalk near the entrance? I've seen bikes do it all the time but I was never sure if it was actually allowed or not. Also on this subject where do you guys keep your helmets when parked? Helmet lock, carry it with you, backpack?
    Always bring your Helmet with you. Even if you had a helmet lock, if someone accidentally bumped your bike hard enough to knock it down, your helmet goes down with it. That may potentially make your helmet useless as it's always recommended to replace your helmet if you drop it. Something to think about when placing your helmet on your bike.

Originally posted by paulb1320

Old banff is probably the most curvy but that stretch is extremely dangerous so enter at your own risk.

I used to park on the sidewalks all the time and as the years passed i felt kinda douchy doing it. I still do it here and there but only if theres no parking in the lot and its not blocking anything on the sidewalk

My Ride
    CBR 929

If you dont mind a bit of a ride do the chain lakes road it is super fun and in better shape than old banff but it is a bit out of the way

[url]

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by bignerd
    If you dont mind a bit of a ride do the chain lakes road it is super fun and in better shape than old banff but it is a bit out of the way
    Which road? 22?

My Ride
    CBR 929

[url]

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Ah, yeah that one is alright... Just lots of boring highway there and back

My Ride

Here's a walk around on my bike.

Got myself a full Yoshimura Exhaust with Yoshimura Fender Eliminator, Power Commander V Fuel/air Management and LED lights all around to start my mod lists. More to come!

What do you guys think?

My Ride
    06 S2000

It's a bike alright.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride

It's a bike alright.

Thanks man! What color is your FZ-09? Any mods?

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Thanks man! What color is your FZ-09? Any mods?
    FZ-09 is brand new to me, so it's stock other than a flyscreen, rad protector, tank protector and some frame sliders. All my efforts have gone towards my CBR... Which really needs some love this year.
    My car sounds like shit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast