Quantcast
New Rider - Advice, tips and comments? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rider - Advice, tips and comments?

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Originally posted by revelations

How much for a 300cc Ninja from last year ?
    Shot you a PM

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Everyone recommends Too Cool, but I had no problems with Calgary Safety Council nor has anyone else I've known to take it. It's cheaper, doesn't book up nearly as quickly or as far in advance, and there's always room in their classes if you want more one-on-one time.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Maximoose
    I've trained a lot of newbies on my spare time. Used to run a kijiji Ad about helping newbies with class 5s and trying for class 6 and always spent my summer weekends giving tips and doing ride alongs.

Here's my 2 cents

-Nothing compares to Too Cool, you get what you pay for and that school is known nationally for how good it is.

-www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/ has always been a great place to order equipment, there return policy is great and you usually get free shipping.

-try to look for a late 90's 600cc sportbike (cbr, gsxr, r6). they'll be cheap and cheap to fix. It also has enough power so you won't be bored in 3 months of riding it.

-Make sure you purchase good gear before you buy the bike. Including boots and pants.
    All good points, but I would caution anyone looking at a bike around that vintage to spend a bit extra to look for a fuel injected model (eg. CBR600 F4 vs. F4i) as it will pay off in terms of no ridiculous (4) carb rebuilds or less work storing the bike.

That is unless, you love rebuilding/balancing/draining 4 carbs
    Last edited by revelations; 02-02-2016 at 04:14 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Everyone recommends Too Cool, but I had no problems with Calgary Safety Council nor has anyone else I've known to take it. It's cheaper, doesn't book up nearly as quickly or as far in advance, and there's always room in their classes if you want more one-on-one time.
    Haha no kidding eh? I'm not trying to bring too cool riding school down either but I definitely would like to try out SAIT as well, just like you who chose to go on a different route.

I guess I'll give my feedback about SAIT after I'm done the course.

My Ride

Does TooCool etc. also offer a brief mechanical outline as well?

My course in BC had about a 2 hour part regarding to the mechanical components (eg. leaks, chain adjustment, etc.)

Every rider should know a BASIC level of mechanics. The tools that come with bikes are very useful.
    Knowing between a leaking front caliper/master cylinder vs. coolant or engine oil can save your life - same goes for tire examinations/pressures.

My Ride
    2009 Lancer ES

All good points, but I would caution anyone looking at a bike around that vintage to spend a bit extra to look for a fuel injected model (eg. CBR600 F4 vs. F4i) as it will pay off in terms of no ridiculous (4) carb rebuilds or less work storing the bike.

That is unless, you love rebuilding/balancing/draining 4 carbs
    That's true. Carb work does suck. I do think most 600cc's past the year 2000 had FI.

My Ride
    2009 Lancer ES

Does TooCool etc. also offer a brief mechanical outline as well?

My course in BC had about a 2 hour part regarding to the mechanical components (eg. leaks, chain adjustment, etc.)

Every rider should know a BASIC level of mechanics. The tools that come with bikes are very useful.
    Knowing between a leaking front caliper/master cylinder vs. coolant or engine oil can save your life - same goes for tire examinations/pressures.
    I don't remember them going into depth about the mechanical aspects of the bike. They touched on checking chain and sprockets for wear, oil changes, tires, etc. But it was mostly pre-ride inspection stuff.

that would be a great idea for a course.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Maximoose

I do think most 600cc's past the year 2000 had FI.
    Examples:

GSX-R 600 - 2001
    CBR F4i - 2001
    ZX-6R (636) - 2003
    R6 - 2003

But I wouldn't recommend any of these as a first bike

My Ride
    Harley Nightster

300cc? Jesus he will be bored of it in a week, those things weigh practically nothing and no way I would even touch a highway in that .. SCARY. Would recommend something in 600+ range depending on the bike. Didnt see if you bought a bike yet or not but I'd recommend something like a Ducati Monster, Yamaha FZ or something along those lines!

My first bike was a bobber'd out Harley 1200cc. Never took classes, but knew how to ride from manual quads so learning was super easy for me at least. Anyway, people KNEW I was around them (it was loud as fuck so presence was known which I didn't care if it was to loud or not cause I rather not have some ass monkey drive into my lane suddenly like a quiet crotch rocket) and I wasn't a effing asshat on the roads when I was riding even though my bike could make my eyes go to the back of my head when I twist the throttle.

Anyway be smart, understand your surroundings at all times and always look around you and never trust the cars beside you, make sure they know your presence. Good luck!
    Last edited by KO22; 02-02-2016 at 04:53 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Disoblige

Examples:

GSX-R 600 - 2001
    CBR F4i - 2001
    ZX-6R (636) - 2003
    R6 - 2003

But I wouldn't recommend any of these as a first bike
    Compared to the 600s of today, those bikes are wimpy in comparison

eg. 2009 R6 -> who needs 130rwhp on the street?

I had an 02 R6 and the f4i boys used to make fun of me when i tried to start my bike lol

300 is a small bike but im sure he'll have a fun time and because its not so big it should help build the confidence quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Welcome to the club!

You'll have fun with a 300. I had loads of fun on a 125, I even took it on QEII. (Maxed out at 125 kph.)
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

The biggest issue with our location is that you need to take a straight, boring, windy highway to get to any fun roads.... That's basically the only time I miss having a bigger bike, but if you love corners.... It's pretty tough to get bored of a slower bike. I love my little KTM 390 and think there will always be a place for it in the stable.... But the one thing you might regret with the ninja is the sport bike riding position... It's hell on the body on longer rides

This sort of thing it's really doesn't matter if you have 50hp.... Or 150hp:

Last edited by ercchry; 02-02-2016 at 07:04 PM.

My Ride
    240sx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwyOCdUup8

some useful information in these videos. some pretty good visual presentations especially on braking.

also never ride directly beside a vehicle. either be infront or behind. and pretty much just assume every car is going to swerve last second into your lane without noticing you...
    Last edited by GotRice?; 02-02-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Originally posted by ercchry
    But the one thing you might regret with the ninja is the sport bike riding position... It's hell on the body on longer rides
    Did they change the 300 drastically, cause the 250 didn't have a sporty riding position at all.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

my suggestion is to be selective about who you choose to ride with.

"spirited" riding is inevitable at some point but choose fellow riders where you trust their judgement. don't pick up bad habits on a clean slate. we all know accidents happen but i would absolutely hate to see someone i know go down or worse. i'm sure it would ruin the riding experience for me for a while.

that said, i still do watch youtube videos on motorcycle crashes to help remind me to keep my ego in check.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mibz
    Did they change the 300 drastically, cause the 250 didn't have a sporty riding position at all.
    A lot of people are comparing the 300 ride more like a touring ride, that's coming from a lot of reviews I've read and watched on youtube aside from some good friends that I know that work in the industry.

I've sat on the bike and it does feel more upright to me, but I guess I'll find out for myself. Although I trust the riders that I talk to since they work in the industry and have tested a lot of bikes.

Originally posted by JVR1
    my suggestion is to be selective about who you choose to ride with.

"spirited" riding is inevitable at some point but choose fellow riders where you trust their judgement. don't pick up bad habits on a clean slate. we all know accidents happen but i would absolutely hate to see someone i know go down or worse. i'm sure it would ruin the riding experience for me for a while.

that said, i still do watch youtube videos on motorcycle crashes to help remind me to keep my ego in check.
    Theres good responsible riders and theres good irresponsible riders. For the first couple rides id find 1 buddy who you know will take the time with you and not push you anymore then needed.

Originally posted by JordanAndrew
    A lot of people are comparing the 300 ride more like a touring ride, that's coming from a lot of reviews I've read and watched on youtube aside from some good friends that I know that work in the industry.

I've sat on the bike and it does feel more upright to me, but I guess I'll find out for myself. Although I trust the riders that I talk to since they work in the industry and have tested a lot of bikes.
    Yeah, I've got a Ninja 650 and I like the riding position, the 250 was very similar so I imagine the 300 is as well. I mean, 3 hour rides still suck, but that's an ass thing, not a wrist or back thing.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by Mibz
    Yeah, I've got a Ninja 650 and I like the riding position, the 250 was very similar so I imagine the 300 is as well. I mean, 3 hour rides still suck, but that's an ass thing, not a wrist or back thing.
    The 300 is very similar to the 650. It has handlebars vs clip-ons and is far more upright than a supersport. It's more of a sport-touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast