Quantcast
New Home - Negotiating? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Home - Negotiating?

My Ride
    Acura CL

Congrats on the new purchase!
    was this in Nolan or Symons gate?
    Brooksfield was willing to go down about 20K on a spec home they are starting on

Originally posted by 403ep3

Seems like new construction sales aren't as hot as the salesman say. .
    This is shocking news.

Congrats on the purchase.

My Ride
    TDi

Not 100% ours yet, but thanks!

Its Nolan hill. Good luck to anyone else looking!
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

So they didn't laugh at you and tell all the other builders about you?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by gwill
    Hitemp is such a flake.
    Have you ever built a house?

I am a self-admitted cheapass, but even moreso I search high and low for value. I'd never use mr tile extraordinaire not because he isnt worth it (because from what I've seen he is) but because the value isn't there.

I bought a condo last year as it made sense at the time. I came across what I consider an amazing deal on land. I can build a house cheap enough.

Finishing trades are also different than tradesman doing plumbing/heating/framing. Having done a lot of that, the bare basics of a house isn't hard to do decently enough. Nobody is going to notice if your wall is out a bit or if your studs aren't perfectly straight because as long as it is structurally sound you're never going to see it anyways.

Mr tile guy is the same person paying $300 for a synthetic diesel change on his truck. I pay $80. People are willing to pay for what they don't know. I know (a little bit). The family knows a lot

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'd never use mr tile extraordinaire not because he isnt worth it (because from what I've seen he is) but because the value isn't there.

That's okay. Not everyone can afford an SL65 AMG Black. Some have to settle for a Subaru.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:14 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    bus

Didn't that tile guy post a sob story on the news and got a free truck and trailer?
    Last edited by redblack; 02-19-2016 at 08:02 PM.

My Ride
    Hatred

With all his uninformed high paying clients he doesn't have to do peasant jobs anymore. And if he runs out of money he can start a gofund me account for a new trailer.
    -U

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by C_Dave45

That's okay. Not everyone can afford an SL65 AMG Black. Some have to settle for a Subaru.
    I love my Subaru(s), I'd much rather have one over a SL65, but then again, I'd rather a Turbo Firefly over either of those

You are quite the sensitive type. You found a market and you cater to it, I'm not disparaging you for it, I'm applauding you.

That simply doesn't mean that what you offer necessarily has inherent value over and above some other tradesman though, especially someone that is shopping for value versus being willing to pay whatever is necessary to get what they want. After a house is built or a reno is done, your name/business being dropped doesn't provide a boost in value to the property beyond the perceived quality of the work that was done. People hire you because of the feels. Do you have metrics that you can go through and point out to people each and every objective flaw in another project that shows you are (again, objectively) better than tradesman XX?

Probably not. But you do a good job and sell yourself appropriately. Many Beyond sponsors on here do that. I don't find value in that (objective $$ in my pocket or an increase in an assets worth relative to the money invested), but some people find that value in the feels. I don't use realtors because from a value perspective, they offer me nothing, but other beyonders find value there.

So yea I'll keep on building houses/helping build houses and rake in the 20% net profits that homebuilders don't want people to know they are earning

Originally posted by Cos

It is kind of annoying that you cut on people like this, post threads about doing work for other beyonders, when I was willing to send you a $5k job in the early summer but you brushed me off after waiting for you for 2 months.

People in glass houses.....
    Brendan...is this how you do this? You couldn't have just emailed me again to remind me?
    When you said to me
    Thanks for the quick response.....We’d rather not re-do the entire shower if we can help it. Our long term plan was to build a seat into it, however I don’t think I have this much unexpected cash right now.
    and I informed you that the only solution was a complete redo. And yes you did ask if I was available in the next little while...bottom line is I lost track of your email. I'm sorry. It happens. We exchanged two emails. That was it. It's hard to keep track of every single email I get. I wasn't available to do another job until November. All you had to do was send another email saying "Hey..did you forget about me?".
    Not another word from you after that.

Bottom line is I cannot get to every single job that gets asked of me. I try my hardest not to lose track of people, but it happens. I get probably 10 requests from potential customers for every job that I take on. of those 10, I will spend hours estimating, consulting, getting prices, only to have the person never contact me again after I give a price. I don't begrudge that. That's part of the job.

But if you don't bother to send even one email or text and then 7 months later rip on me in public?

All I can say is I'm sorry.

My response to HiTemp is an ongoing battle between him and I. THere's a few on here that despise me. I get that. I'm okay with it. It's a bit of a game.

But in all fairness, all you had to do was send me another email to jog my brain. Is that fair?

Originally posted by redblack
    Didn't that tile guy post a sob story on the news and got a free truck and trailer?
    Wow. This again huh?
    Might want to check your facts on that, Chief.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 02-19-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Bit of an update here. I got an offer accepted from an unknown builder for an unspecified property with an unspecified discount. Deals are everywhere, I did awesome. #tootsownhorn

Glad we can draw any conclusions from such a vague post.
    Last edited by gwill; 02-19-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 03:05 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by C_Dave45

My response to HiTemp is an ongoing battle between him and I. .
    Dude, I'm not battling you. We don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, and then you start insulting me whenever we don't, even though I've complimented you on the fact it looks like you do great work. For realz dawg, ease off the throttle. If I get snippy back, I really don't know what you expect.

Some people like to whip out their e-peen like they're a BFD on here. I'm just sharing my anecodtal experiences, same as everyone else.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Dude, I'm not battling you. We don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, and then you start insulting me whenever we don't, even though I've complimented you on the fact it looks like you do great work. For realz dawg, ease off the throttle. If I get snippy back, I really don't know what you expect.

Some people like to whip out their e-peen like they're a BFD on here. I'm just sharing my anecodtal experiences, same as everyone else.
    I'm sorry. I'll tone it down a notch.

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by gwill
    Bit of an update here. I got an offer accepted from an unknown builder for an unspecified property with an unspecified discount. Deals are everywhere, I did awesome. #tootsownhorn

Glad we can draw any conclusions from such a vague post.
    It's more of a post to show someone that gwill doesn't know everything about now house sales work #deflatesyourhorn. I walked in, made an offer, and got laughed at.. Wait..

Hah i would rather not post what I spend for everyone to see. I think that's petty fair hey? Or else I could post all my investments, savings, and other shit like that to see.

Get your head out of your ass
    Last edited by 403ep3; 02-19-2016 at 09:43 PM.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Nice welcome to the area, I love Nolan Hill. Which builder did you go with?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast