Quantcast
New Home - Negotiating? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New Home - Negotiating?

My Ride
    TDi

Default New Home - Negotiating?

Looking at Symons Gate right now and they have 3 main builders. Found a style I like and put it on hold (Henderson w/ Morrison Homes)

My question to you:

- Has anyone bought a house recently and have been able to negotiate on the price because of how the economy is
    - if so, how did you do it and how much were they willing to take off?
    - I am willing to walk away if I don't get a price I am expecting..
    - What strategies do I need to employ? obviously the lot can't get cheaper, but what can I ask for?
    - this is my first house built new so I am a beginner
    - wish I hired/spoke with a realtor beforehand, but now I am SOL I read

TIA
    Last edited by 403ep3; 02-04-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    GO FLAMES GO!

wasn't a new home build but i was able to knock off 50 k off their listing.

quick possession, it was simply i signed an offer and they declined - kept meeting somewhere in the middle.

walking away is key IMO - buyers market, tons of new houses

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by GQBalla
    wasn't a new home build but i was able to knock off 50 k off their listing.

quick possession, it was simply i signed an offer and they declined - kept meeting somewhere in the middle.

walking away is key IMO - buyers market, tons of new houses
    Thanks. Yeah, they key is walking away. So we write the offer with whatever price and then it goes back and forth, similar to a car purchase?

Starting price for the house is around 605k so I should go for 20-30k lower?
    GO FLAMES GO!

See if they can throw in upgrades - try to get the fully developed basement.

My Ride
    This and that.

The fact that you don't have a realtor is good in this situation because they don't have to worry about commission. So you should use that to get something off right off the bat.

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by suntan
    Definitely worth a shot. Don't know if you don't try. Thanks

Originally posted by shakalaka
    The fact that you don't have a realtor is good in this situation because they don't have to worry about commission. So you should use that to get something off right off the bat.
    Thanks. How much would commission be?
    GO FLAMES GO!

The new home sales rep will tell you if your offer is way off base. They won't waste their time writing an offer that won't get accepted. If they refuse to write the offer then you know our out to lunch... If they write the offer as a starting point keep that in mind that their will be a counter.

You don't need a realtor and I agree that's a good thing.

Are you buying a spec or picking a lot and building from scratch? Each has different issues and ways to negotiate if they allow that..... Morrison is very process orientated so if your building from scratch they do a lot of follow up and susequent meetings through out the build process.

What did your sales rep say about the offer you want to submit? Keep in mind what they make doesn't fluctuate when you get $20k off or 45k so there is no incentive for them to lie to you.

i know someone just bought one from morrison in the area, 2300 sq

2300 sq ft, he paid 590k, forgot the model name

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by gwill
    The new home sales rep will tell you if your offer is way off base. They won't waste their time writing an offer that won't get accepted. If they refuse to write the offer then you know our out to lunch... If they write the offer as a starting point keep that in mind that their will be a counter.

You don't need a realtor and I agree that's a good thing.

Are you buying a spec or picking a lot and building from scratch? Each has different issues and ways to negotiate if they allow that..... Morrison is very process orientated so if your building from scratch they do a lot of follow up and susequent meetings through out the build process.

What did your sales rep say about the offer you want to submit? Keep in mind what they make doesn't fluctuate when you get $20k off or 45k so there is no incentive for them to lie to you.
    Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by rach
    2300 sq ft, he paid 590k, forgot the model name
    Sounds like the Arlington, but I will use it as a guide. Thanks!
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    changes every year

Man, I'm building a 1900sqf with a walkout and a triple for less than 3/4 of that price. Granted that's not in calgary but still.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    Man, I'm building a 1900sqf with a walkout and a triple for less than 3/4 of that price. Granted that's not in calgary but still.
    New build in Calgary will cost $250-$300/ft2 for a very nicely finished home right now. It's the lots that cost $$.

My Ride
    K20A2

i built with nuvista and got $10000 free upgrades which was not much and went over a bit then i offer then 5000 lowered then what they asked. They told me they have to give to head office two days later they accepted. Some builder will tell you to kick sand like jayman as my buddy tryied. I would try it worse they can say is no
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    A Slow Car

According to one of the builders in Symons Gate, he said that they haven't lowered the prices on homes. The way it's going right now, I don't see why they can't knock off another $20-$30k on the asking price. See if you can get the builder to develop your basement. This way you don't have to fork out another $30-$40k in the future.

Good luck
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by suntan
    Yup. I found that a good technique is focusing value than price. Add more value to the sticker price like a fully developed basement.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

New homes sales in that area are down 70%. I'd say you have all the power.

Houses I saw last year in June are still sitting in inventory when I looked. If you are seriously looking, lowball em and i'm sure you'll settle for something less than what you are expecting.

if your looking at low balling you'll probably have better luck looking at resale in the same area. Typically every new area has tons of buyers trying to get out of the purchase they just made. Worst case you can provide their counter offers as a comp to the builder if they are trying to charge more.

Originally posted by 403ep3

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like the Arlington, but I will use it as a guide. Thanks!

I am not sure if this is an estate area?? i kind of think he paid too much for the house...its vinly siding..not fully upgraded...basement not done..
    The lot is nice tho...backyard face the valley...but u can still hear cars passing by the highway..

My Ride
    TDi

Thanks for all the information.

Just a FYI for anyone: I went to Nolan Hill and looked at a few new lots with green space/walk paths and its roughly 50k more than Symons Gate, but the lots are a ton better and might be worth that extra investment. Very much leaning on NOT going with Symons Gate now because there is basically no green space, parks, and amenities.

It changed our outlook on the value SG are putting on their lots and homes.. may not seem worth it. Time to get my deposit back I guess

rach: yeah, the lot backs onto 144th and it's not super loud, but definitely not quiet for paying the premium.

Will try to fetch a deal with either Avi or Trico or Morrison in Nolan.. or stay in my old place
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Realtor kept saying my offers were low and they wouldn't even bargain - but they did. Part of me keeps thinking she wanted a bigger cut.

Granted, it was a Spec Home I guess they didn't want to keep sitting on it.

I got them to throw in all appliances and washer/dryer with my same final offer too.

My Realtor did nothing but forward the offers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast