Quantcast
A video for the farm boys - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: A video for the farm boys

Default A video for the farm boys

Stumbled upon this NFB video today and thought it might be an interesting view for the older farm boys that are on here, if any.

Interestingly enough, I have done or experienced everything in this video right down to the old engine stuff although that was pretty much dead by the time I was working in a grain elevator. The rest though, did it all and even have some of the stuff I used in grain elevators in my possession, an old scale, the trouble light they showed in the video and some other tools of the trade.

And yeah, it was as dusty as they showed in this video - barley dust was the worst because it made you itch just about everywhere. Anyhow, the video - places like this are pretty much gone from our landscape now...

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Pretty amazing that they were able to justify the equipment and expense for such a small operation, shipping 150 carloads per year.

That was COOL!!!!

I always say I wished I had been born on a farm! Funny, cuz my Old Man was born n raised in Saskatchewan.

Thanks for the video!

My Ride
    V167

Definitely a cool video. "you can give er hell now" - gotta love SK speak.

Will definitely be showing this to my dad. I definitely have a strong appreciation for all farmers as all of my ancestors did it, small scale back in India but definitely interesting stuff. I remember visiting there for my first time back in 91, my dad still had old school equipment in the barn and showed us how it worked and what it did in terms of sorting grain etc (my response at that time was ) .

Keep on givin er

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    Pretty amazing that they were able to justify the equipment and expense for such a small operation, shipping 150 carloads per year.
    Because a good grain elevator operator could make a lot of money for the grain company by never shipping out poorer grades of grain. Since there were allowances at each grade level with respect to the amounts of cracked seeds, sprouted seeds, foreign materials, other grains, etc, the manager could buy lower grade grain from the farmers and then mix it into the higher grades when shipping but still keep that shipped higher grain within the limits allowed for it.

My Dad, who ran AWP elevators for 28 years, never shipped out a car of #2 or #3 or feed graded grain despite buying as such, it was always mixed into the #1 graded grain that was shipped out. Took some careful monitoring and measuring but a very good way to make considerable money even in a single elevator.

What's more interesting is one doesn't forget how to operate a wood grain elevator - I haven't been in one for over 32 years, haven't operated one since 1980 and yet I could walk into the one at Heritage Park and probably operate it with virtually no difficulty at all.
    Last edited by speedog; 02-09-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Excellent film of prairie heritage. John is a damn hard worker. RIP John.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...&pid=151175166

My Ride
    78 civic

The highlight of going to the elevator was stopping for ice cream on the way home. Nothing beats riding home with Dad eating an ice cream cone in a rusty, dusty, unregistered, oil burning grain truck with bad brakes which also smells like moth balls and mouse piss. Lol

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by 78si
    ... which also smells like moth balls and mouse piss. Lol
    This is the best descriptor of the inside of a farm truck that I have ever heard. This is EXACTLY what it smells like. That brings me back hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.