Quantcast
Anyone rocking the Nvidia Shield (Android TV)? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone rocking the Nvidia Shield (Android TV)?

Default Anyone rocking the Nvidia Shield (Android TV)?

One of my trusty WDTV's finally died the other day after many years of use, I think the WiFi failed (everything else still worked). I replaced it with an Nvidia Shield Console and this thing is awesome. Anyone else using one? it seemed like a no-brainier after looking at the hardware and capabilities compared to every other media box. Very future-proof as well. There is a promo on till the end of Feb. for a free remote ($70 value).

It's basically a WDTV on steroids (Tegra X1, 3GB ram, USB 3.0, AC Wifi, HDMI 2.0, 4K 60fps, bluetooth, micro SD expansion, handles all HT audio properly), with a full gaming side to it (wireless controller included). Runs Plex, Kodi, MX, VLC, Netflix, etc. perfectly for the media side of things. You can "cast" to it as well. Bitstreams Dolby Digital/DTS/DTS-MA/Dolby True HD without issues to a receiver. I bought it pretty much for that but the games are icing on the cake. Build quality on the console, remote, and controller seem excellent.

Anyone else using one of these things yet? If you are looking for a media box or a WDTV replacement, look no further. Curious to see what others have done with them.

Seen them, but I can wait for this years 14 and 16nm AMD and NVidia chips.

I just use a PS3 slim for 1080p Netflix decodes, it definitely uses more electricity than a stick, but it surprisingly does a better job of decoding than my Intel desktop.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I grabbed one at christmas as well, to replace a wdtv live that gave up on life. Mostly curiois aboit the tech, but its worked great and the gaming side is a bonus

Using kodi for the first time for my media. Really liking how it handles tv shows, movies etc. but no so much music. All the wifes music is generally one or two songs inside a named folder for the band. Kodi just opens the folder like a container and randomizes within that folder (ie plays one song then stops) cant find a way to play all the music in the root directory on shuffle or build a real playlist.
    Last edited by colsankey; 02-06-2016 at 09:53 AM.

My Ride
    Sentra

Will it stream from Emby (or kodi or plex, etc) without needing transcoding (on the lan of course)?

And where do you get one with the promo deal?

Originally posted by GoChris
    Will it stream from Emby (or kodi or plex, etc) without needing transcoding (on the lan of course)?

And where do you get one with the promo deal?
    The deal is from Nvidia but Memory Express is where I went, they have tons of stock with the free remote bundle. It's slightly cheaper on Newegg.ca but they just give it their own "stock number" to avoid having to price match despite their policy specifically saying they match bundles haha. Not a big deal, I think it was $10 or so.

I'm not familiar with Emby but with Plex or MX player it will either send the audio via Bitstream or PCM (your choice) on everything I have tried so far, with Dolby Digital, DTS, and DTS-MA. It's fully compatible with all audio codecs pretty much, most importantly as they pertain to a HT. It's probably the most capable device that I have seen when it comes to different types of media and outputting them properly.

I am new to Kodi - I haven't found a single stream that is Dolby Digital or DTS, and very few that are HD - do they exist? Or is it mostly standard def and stereo?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-06-2016 at 11:28 AM.

I've had the Nvidia Shield TV for a while, and I love it! It's really good! I use it mostly for Netflix 4k and Kodi. Though Kodi streams are usually pretty standard quality. It's hard to find HD streams.

There were some good deals on the Shield Tv few months back, it's a good idea to check RFD for any current deals or promos.

One thing I've noticed with it though is that with my Vizio M60 tv, the tv sometimes resets the hdmi video signal (the screen goes black for a second, then reloads the picture and the HDMI info at the top). Not sure if it's an issue with the shield or if it's the tv...

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    My WDTV Live is also nearing the end of its life (and my patience) but as awesome as this thing is, I can't justify the full cost.

Any thoughts on this one? http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GeekB...TG-358067.html
    Only ~$100 difference at the moment (CAD after import), and you get far better hardware, bluetooth control (No line of sight needed), micro SD expansion, Google Cast, USB 3.0, and a free $70 remote with the Shield until Feb 27 (it's made of aluminium lol). The $80 controller is included too. Instant on/off that automatically powers down your controllers and remote. Absolutely zero lag no matter what you do with it.

Honestly even if you find one game you like and play it for for a few hours, it has already pretty well paid for the price difference. It's also supported by Nvidia so you get bug-free performance with support for future versions of android and regular updates to add features.

It's a bargain for the hardware, which is apparently twice as powerful as an Xbox 360. I've already got my money's worth out of this thing haha, pretty easy to justify the cost if you use it a fair amount.

That being said if all you need is a basic device to run Plex, you can just use a $40 Chromecast but it won't pass through the HD audio codecs and you can't plug in local storage.

I was waiting for new season of Daredevil to pick this up but now it doesn't come with the remote. I wonder if they will have that promo again.

Anyone of you guys not using it?

Bhphotovideo.com and Amazon.com have it with the remote right now.

Default Re: Anyone rocking the Nvidia Shield (Android TV)?

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    One of my trusty WDTV's finally died the other day after many years of use, I think the WiFi failed (everything else still worked). I replaced it with an Nvidia Shield Console and this thing is awesome. Anyone else using one? it seemed like a no-brainier after looking at the hardware and capabilities compared to every other media box. Very future-proof as well. There is a promo on till the end of Feb. for a free remote ($70 value).

It's basically a WDTV on steroids (Tegra X1, 3GB ram, USB 3.0, AC Wifi, HDMI 2.0, 4K 60fps, bluetooth, micro SD expansion, handles all HT audio properly), with a full gaming side to it (wireless controller included). Runs Plex, Kodi, MX, VLC, Netflix, etc. perfectly for the media side of things. You can "cast" to it as well. Bitstreams Dolby Digital/DTS/DTS-MA/Dolby True HD without issues to a receiver. I bought it pretty much for that but the games are icing on the cake. Build quality on the console, remote, and controller seem excellent.

Anyone else using one of these things yet? If you are looking for a media box or a WDTV replacement, look no further. Curious to see what others have done with them.
    how much did you get if for? right now it's $289.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Anyone using the Nvidia Shield? I'm thinking about picking one up tomorrow but would need to know if it can do the following, even if I have to hack it:
    - Pandora
    - Hulu
    - Amazon Prime
    - US Netflix hacking
    - local network browsing and streaming. I play most of my movies from my desktop.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

I use the Nvidia shield and it's amazing!

I'm not sure about the first three, but if you can some how get past netflix's region locking, then great because netflix works wonders! Watching all the available shows in 4k is pretty awesome.

You should be able to do local browsing and streaming. I think you can use a file manager or a video player to do that. That being said, you can just get Kodi and stream everything you want from your network easily, with a nice UI.

It's definitely worth the money, but keep an eye out on Redflagdeals to see if there are currently any sales happening.

P.S. How are you going to get past the region locking for Netflix? I'd love to know as well

Originally posted by Mar
    Anyone using the Nvidia Shield? I'm thinking about picking one up tomorrow but would need to know if it can do the following, even if I have to hack it:
    - Pandora
    - Hulu
    - Amazon Prime
    - US Netflix hacking
    - local network browsing and streaming. I play most of my movies from my desktop.
    I have one too, it's without a doubt the best media box you can buy, nothing even comes remotely close. Plus you can game on it if you want. So much better than the WDTV. It's also dirt cheap for what you get, and the free remote deal is back on right now till the end of the month. I love that everything is instant, everything works with zero problems, and it pre-buffers Netflix to full HD before you even click "watch". Some guys even have all the old NES and SNES games on them with emulators.

I am fine with Canadian Netflix though so I can't help you there. Sounds like Hero has a solution
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-25-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Maybe it's time to upgrade from my WDTV..

kodi.

and my next media player will no doubt be a HTPC running windows.

Originally posted by J.M.
    Maybe it's time to upgrade from my WDTV..
    The WDTV was great but they stopped supporting it. In fact, the latest update REMOVED Netflix. There is also no substitute whatsoever in that price range with the same features. I don't even think you can buy a WDTV Live anymore Moving up to the Shield TV though is like WDTV on steroids, plus a million other features. It's easily worth the money solely as a media player even if you don't play any of the games. It has about twice the power of an Xbox 360.

Should be good for a long time too, Nvidia is really good about updating it, it gets the latest android OS updates quickly, has HDMI 2.0, 4K/60P support, 4K HDR support, Vulkan support, wireless AC, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, bluetooth, etc. Expandable storage too, so don't buy the 500gb version, just the 16GB is more than enough. It also properly passes through all audio formats including DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD (this is what is so hard to find on other players).

The remote is CNC machined out of aluminum and has a headphone jack. It's the nicest remote in my house for sure haha, and worth the $70 even if you don't get it free with the bundle.

^^ I think I'm going to grip one now haha. I was wondering what that latest update for the WDTV was, good thing I didn't update it.

Looks like MemEx has the Nvidia Shield for $289.99 with the remote as a bonus.

So what games can you play on the Nvidia Shield?

Originally posted by nonofyobiz
    So what games can you play on the Nvidia Shield?
    Not a ton, but there are a decent amount. Enough to kill hours and hours of time. The whole DOOM series just got released and you can play games like Portal, World of Tanks, Grand Theft Auto, Windward, Badland, Metal Gear Rising, etc. Lots of fun games for Android can be played too, like Leo's Fortune, and many more addicting arcade-style games with good graphics. If you have an GTX 750 or higher Nvidia card you can stream games from your PC to the shield. You can use it as an emulator to play NES, SNES, SEGA, N64 games but I don't know how to do that. You can also pay per month to stream dozens of high end games from Nvdia's servers but I don't think many people do that. They add games all the time too.

https://shield.nvidia.com/games/android

The gaming side is just icing on the cake. The controller it comes with is high quality and similar to the Xbox.

It's always $289 but there are sometimes promos for a free remote or free second controller. Right now it's the remote promo.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast