Quantcast
2 teens dead, 6 more injured at C.O.P. overnight - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 teens dead, 6 more injured at C.O.P. overnight

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Unknown303
    those two kids definitely have video of it then.
    GoPro and Youtube make kids do even more stupid things.

My Ride
    ute

Darwin awards nominees.

Sad, but Darwin Award nominees nonetheless.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    So how long until a lawsuit is filed against Winsport?
    I hate how thats the number one thing we think about when something like this happens. To be fair I thought the same thing... But I'm not sure how this is at all Winsport's fault - the entire area is fenced off and clearly closed to the public.
    Last edited by OTown; 02-06-2016 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    So how long until a lawsuit is filed against Winsport?

If they do sue WinSport, I hope they lose.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by OTown
    I hate how thats the number one thing we think about when something like this happens. To be fair I thought the same thing... But I'm not sure how this is at all Winsport's fault - the entire area is fenced off and clearly closed to the public.
    The starting area at the top isn't fenced off at all. I've walked right up to it and though damn it would be fun to rip down there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Buster
    Darwin awards nominees.

Sad, but Darwin Award nominees nonetheless.
    I think even that statement is extreme.

Seriously, if I was standing at the top there, I wouldn't expect a gate like that, and to be honest, I am still trying to figure out how this gate is positioned in a way that the kids could be this hurt....
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Hatred

-U

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

yeah, but they come down the point where the 2 become 1 track, they don't come down at the pointed portion...unless there was something physically in the middle of the track?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by spikerS

I think even that statement is extreme.

Seriously, if I was standing at the top there, I wouldn't expect a gate like that, and to be honest, I am still trying to figure out how this gate is positioned in a way that the kids could be this hurt....
    What they did would almost be akin to jumping off a cliff that you've never been to into murky waters below.

The deaths and injuries are very unfortunate and there most likely be some changes at Winsport.

What can not be denied or ignored is that these teens were undoubtedly well aware that what they were doing was wrong and that message can not be lost amid all that will come out of this and regardless of how foolhardy or reckless they may have been.

I don't know what the policies are at the track with respect to security or safety but I would imagine there are a number of Winsport employees who are raking themselves over the coals right now and they may have done absolutely nothing wrong - it is a most unfortunate situation that none of us could have ever imagined happening and so many people will be unexpectedly affected by this.

Man, this is just so difficult to think about

My Ride
    Lariat

The top of the track has 2 starting spots (luge/skeleton and bobsled) that merges into one about 1/3 the way down. Think of it like a train track that can move back and forth. If they went down the open track they probably would have been ok. In this case they went down the one that was closed, and the worst case scenario happened
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

What is with everyone saying that this is similar to what they have done or considered doing in the past? Was committing or contemplating breaking the law that big of a part of peoples activities?

Hopefully Winsport doesn't have to defend themselves against a BS lawsuit because of the foolish and illegal actions of a few people.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Originally posted by FraserB
    What is with everyone saying that this is similar to what they have done or considered doing in the past? Was committing or contemplating breaking the law that big of a part of peoples activities?

Hopefully Winsport doesn't have to defend themselves against a BS lawsuit because of the foolish and illegal actions of a few people.
    Bleeding hearts who think everything is everyone else's fault but theirs

This is similar to the fetanyl thread. People making decisions without any regards for the consequences of their actions.

You know how this whole could have been prevented? They could just have not trespassed and not thought it was a good idea to slide down an olympic high speed bobsled track without any certified sled or any training or any foresight to actually walk the track to ensure its safe.

Lets put it this way... If some guy walks right off a sidewalk and into direct path of traffic outside of a crosswalk and gets ran over and killed; we dont see threads about how its not their fault and its actually the driver's fault for running them over? We dont blame society or anything else. We blame the idiot who ran into traffic without looking.

So why is this any different? People have to get out of their little 'safety bubble' and see how precious and fragile human life really is. We gotta stop blaming others for mistakes we make. People die or get seriously injured every day.

If I feel sorry for anyone here its the first responders (paramedics, fire, police) that had to witness and treat these idiots. The fact that some of these guys have such crazy injuries that they cant be identified makes me believe it was a gruesome scene. That's gotta be traumatizing.
    Last edited by OTown; 02-06-2016 at 05:52 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Ditto. Surprised by this as well. If I was ever this stupid to try something like this, I would at least walk the length of the track first to make sure all is clear. Like someone else said, this is no different then jumping off a cliff and not knowing what's at the bottom....if you were that stupid to do it as a teenager, then you are lucky you are alive. There is taking risks, and then there is being stupid, two very different things. I take measured risks all the time, and did a ton of them during my early years, no denying that, but if you don't even think of the possible consequences or take some measure to elevate your chances of survival, then well, shit like this happens.

I did the bobsled track just this summer at COP on a wheeled bobsled with a professional driver and the g-forces experienced were pretty unreal, although about 1/2 of the gforces and speed of a real bobsled on ice....I couldn't imagine going down that track in anything but a bobsled with a pro driver...with full helmet and safety gear..

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

C'mon Fraser, you can't tell me that you haven't thought about what it would be like to rip down that thing with a smile on your face.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

I've been down that track an a Bobsled and it is insane the speed and G-forces achieved. This was destined to fail from the get go. If it wasn't the separation gate then they likely would have left the track in the corner and the result would have been the same.

Just sheer idiocy the whole way.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by spikerS

C'mon Fraser, you can't tell me that you haven't thought about what it would be like to rip down that thing with a smile on your face.
    Sure, during their open houses with a qualified person and proper equipment. When I wouldn't have to break the law to get to the course.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Sure, during their open houses with a qualified person and proper equipment. When I wouldn't have to break the law to get to the course.
    c'mon man, no one believes that for a second LOL
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by OTown

Lets put it this way... If some guy walks right off a sidewalk and into direct path of traffic outside of a crosswalk and gets ran over and killed; we dont see threads about how its not their fault and its actually the driver's fault for running them over? We dont blame society or anything else. We blame the idiot who ran into traffic without looking.
    No, we just lower all speed limits to 40 and blame the evil 4 wheel death machines when that happens.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 02:46 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Did exactly that as a teen, along with a ton of other stuff that I look back on as completely moronic.

I recall one kid missing the deep water and shattering his leg on the rocks in high school, but the danger of cliff jumping was always part of the thrill.

This is just typical teenager stuff gone horribly wrong
    pretty much.

This is the kind of teenage behavior I would expect from my kids, give them shit for being stupid and they learn a life lesson. The cost of this lesson though was too much.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast