Quantcast
Kelowna - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kelowna

My Ride
    This and that.

What else is there to do at a winery other than wine tasting and walking around? Some might have a restaurant that you can attend but other than that I am not sure what the fun is?

Aren't most wineries closed this time of year?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Nothing to do other than take in the views really, which won't be too spectacular in the winter.

I think your best bet is to just hit up Big White. Ski all day, go for a nice dinner at the kettle valley steakhouse than do a little partying at snowshoe sams.. The only problem will be getting back down the mountain after a night of drinking seeing as you've already booked a hotel.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    A night up at Big White, and partying at Snowshoe Sams will likely be your best bet for a full party.
    Yea, if your idea of a good time is drunk 18 year olds dancing to shitty dubstep on the tables

I like snowshoe sams, but lets be honest, it's mostly overrun with drunk teenagers. And if it's an especially busy night, it's standing room only and 20+ minute waits for drinks.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Yea, if your idea of a good time is drunk 18 year olds dancing to shitty dubstep on the tables

I like snowshoe sams, but lets be honest, it's mostly overrun with drunk teenagers. And if it's an especially busy night, it's standing room only and 20+ minute waits for drinks.
    Really? I always found Sam's to be a good mix. I would party there with my dad and all his friends when he was still around.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Really? I always found Sam's to be a good mix. I would party there with my dad and all his friends when he was still around.
    It's really changed. I've gone to BigWhite once a year every year since 2008. I remember some great, fun parties in 08 09 10 and 11 at Sam's.

The last two years, I walked in, had a drink, and then left. It was like being in a club. Was awful

My Ride
    This and that.

Ya that is totally not what we are looking for. We would preferably like to go somewhere that doesn't attract too many young kids. Wouldn't want to feel like old people among a bunch of 18 year olds. Haha.

We don't really ski so I don't think we will be going to Big White for that. I snowboard but not very well so that's not a good idea either. Checking out a few nice restaurants and wineries as suggested is definitely on the cards.

The only other thing we need is some decent lounge/bar where we can enjoy some drinks and dance a bit to burn some calories. lol

Originally posted by shakalaka
    What else is there to do at a winery other than wine tasting and walking around? Some might have a restaurant that you can attend but other than that I am not sure what the fun is?
    Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. Buy some wine, try some samples, you'll be in and out in 30 mins.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

It's really changed. I've gone to BigWhite once a year every year since 2008. I remember some great, fun parties in 08 09 10 and 11 at Sam's.

The last two years, I walked in, had a drink, and then left. It was like being in a club. Was awful
    Every time I'm there there is a decent cover band playing (though the quality of the music proportionately decreases with the clock), and a total mix of people there.

The place that used to be Raquel's also usually has live music going.

In town, Docs is a good bet.

The Grateful Fed has great breakfast and is a really cool little pub/eatery.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by atgilchrist

Every time I'm there there is a decent cover band playing (though the quality of the music proportionately decreases with the clock), and a total mix of people there.
    Dunno, I must be going at the wrong time of the year then

That's a serious amount of potential winter driving for maybe 2 days of being there. People think because there's no snow here and it's like +10, there's no snow in the mountains.
    http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...l/www/101.html

I think your idea of Kelowna is a bit off. Winter, it's skiing and that's it.

Personally, you'd be better off to get a seat sale to Victoria or Vancouver for that short of time. A few $100 more and more stuff to do.
    Some of the smaller wineries shut down over winter. Or their tasting room does. I think you'll be sadly disappointed and bored.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    Winter sucks in Kelowna unless you are going up to Big White / Silverstar. If you're absolutely set on it, I would recommend eating at one of the nicer wineries such as Mission Hill or Poplar Grove. If your into Schnitzel, check out Gasthaus in Peachland. It's one of my favorites.
    The Gasthaus is a great German restaurant. Love the authenticity of the place. I would also recommend Zia's Stonehouse in Summerland.

Also second the comment about the okanagan in the winter. It's not exactly a happening place if you're not into winter sports. I'd sooner go to the island/van.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 02-11-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2