Quantcast
One week in Tokyo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: One week in Tokyo

Default One week in Tokyo

Will be there for a week in early Spring. Looking on recommendations for things to do, eat, and see in Tokyo. And a couple of specific questions:

- Is a week on Tokyo too long? Wondering if I should venture to another city on the high speed trains.

- Has anyone stayed at a capsule hotel?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Time for the cherry blossom? One week in tokyo is a bit too much for me but I like to see as much as I can. I would at least venture to another city by train.

Tokyo Tower, fish market, Sensoji, Meiji Jingu........lots of stuff to see and they are all reachable by underground with a bit of walking.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

My girlfriend spent almost a month in Japan recently.
    From the sound of her experience, a week in Tokyo might be too long? Well maybe not too long since I'm sure there's lots to do, but there's so much more to see than just Tokyo. She found the city interesting, but it was mostly just a concrete jungle. Where the rest of the country is very beautiful.
    It sounded like she had more fun in Sapporo or Kyoto (both of those are probably too much travel time for a week trip).

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

I spent 2 weeks in Tokyo in December 2015. I have kids though so we hit a bunch of kids stuff (kidzania, pokemon world center, sanrioland etc), but we found it wasn't enough time. For non kids stuff, it was Tsujuki fish market, Ginza, Akihabara (electronics district), cup a noodle museum (sounds questionable, but it was highly entertaining), history museums, aquariums etc.

Buy a local sim card though, I got mine at BIC Camera for about $40 cdn. Includes 2 gigs of data which is more than enough for surfing, emailing and facebooking etc. I was being charged an extremely expensive amount per kb of data download through telus before I got the card.

Use the airport shuttle to get from Narita to Tokyo (50 minutes and 1000 yen per person). The taxis were almost 25000 yen one way from the airport if I remember correctly. Taxis were the only thing that were crazy expensive when we were there.

Get a Pasmo card from the train lines (similar to the Octopus cards in HK). They work on all the lines except the bullet trains which require a different ticket and is considerably more expensive.

Be warned, English is definitely not spoken there by many people (other than the 4-5 star hotels). After a day of hand gestures though you pretty much figure out how to communicate pretty effectively with everyone.

Good Luck. Tokyos a great city, very clean, very safe, lots of great food and fairly inexpensive overall compared to Calgary and definitely cheap compared to HK. The Yen was almost at par with the CDN$ when I went (0.95) so good deals all around.

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

We just rented a portable WiFi router from the airport, it worked great. That way we could use internet on all our phones and devices. I think it is about $10/Day or so.

Spent some time in Kyoto, it is beautiful. Like others have said I would do 2-3 Days in Tokyo and 2 days in Kyoto.

As for things to eat, we pretty much just went anywhere that looked good. Majority of the places are seafood or sushi.

Like others have said we took the train from the airport to Tokyo. Worked awesome! Get the JR Pass to travel around, the trains are connected everywhere. It can get confusing at first and lack of english in Japan causes a confusion. Hand gestures work well, and everyone is willing to listen and help.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Trains are a piece of cake, just find the English button lol. You just need to make sure you pay the right amount for the distance you travel or your legs will smash on the gates. But security is always helpful. Like Black300 said, people will try and help English or not!

The obvious places to check out;

Shibuya Crossing and the surrounding area, Shinjuku, Harajuku (takeashita st lol) and there is a temple on the other side of the train tracks. We did Tokyo tower at night which was cool, and Disney land was kind of a trip, no white people at all. Ropongi is another main place people visit, we found $10 all you can drink there lol at Jamanji 55, upstairs was rap and down stairs was techno..

My buds stayed in a capsule one night and said it was cool but i would have hated it cause im too tall..

Where are you staying? You get beds or are you sleeping on the floor lol..

Edit: in Shinjuku don't miss the Golden Gai area. It's pretty neat, its just a bunch of kind of alleys full of tiny little themed bars haha.. Shinjuku can have a sketchy feeling to it in some spots, definitely avoid the titty bars and shit

This makes me super sad, i was there this time last year but being in oil and gas with the way things are i couldn't afford the return trip i wanted
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 02-08-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Originally posted by cwillgo
    The Yen was almost at par with the CDN$ when I went (0.95) so good deals all around.
    Ouch. I didn't know CDN $ was doing that poorly.

I plan on researching carefully and downloading the city onto Google Maps beforehand so I can avoid paying for internet. This will be a budget trip...staying at hostels and a capsule hotel.

Check out AirBnB... it can save you some money. They have Uber there too but it doesn't work late at night. Local trains all shutdown at midnight and taxi is the only option. I would recommend staying close to Shinjuku or Shibuya station as that is close to many things.

I did one week in Japan last month and it was not enough. We did 2 days in Osaka and 5 in Tokyo. 5 days is reasonable for Tokyo. If I were you I would add a day trip to Mt. Fuji as a minimum. If you are really a avid traveler and can stick to a schedule I would suggest going to Kyoto for 2 days. Other places to check out would be Nara, Kobe, Himeji, Osaka. I would highly recommend going outside Tokyo at least for one day.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:24 AM.

My Ride
    Kouki DC5 and Sprinter Trueno

AS DJ_Nav said look to Air BnB as it is much better and cheaper than hotels in Japan. I lived in Japan for a while and a week in Tokyo isn't much time contrary to what some are saying. There is a ton of things to do, just research different websites and find things that you like and go check it out. Japan-guide is decent website to give you different ideas. Also get a WiFi router or sim card as free WiFi is very difficult to find.

My Ride
    a wrx.

I did this and it was a blast. Also super cheap. Be sure to go without a guide if you want to have any fun.

http://maricar.jp/index.en.html

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    I did this and it was a blast. Also super cheap. Be sure to go without a guide if you want to have any fun.

WTF how is that legal on public road lol?

My Ride
    rally pig

staying for 3 nights in Tokyo and we booked through AirBNB close to the Shinjuko station.
    best thing is the 2 AirBNB places we booked in Kyoto and Tokyo both are providing a free pocket wifi.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

oh that looks like insane fun
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    M3P

I saw those guys in Tokyo when i was there. It looked hilarious.

Did you need a special drivers license?

My Ride
    Ram

kinda relevant for anyone who wants to go now!

http://www.yycdeals.com/non-stop-fli...ncluding-taxes

My Ride
    rally pig

any tips on commuting within Tokyo?
    we are taking a one-way bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo, then 3-4 days in Tokyo before heading back, so we are planning to just stay in Tokyo for most of the time.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

The subway system there is excellent, it'll get you within a few blocks of nearly anywhere you want to be.

Anyone been on a day trip to Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park/Mt Fuji? Better to go it alone or with a tour group? How did you get there?

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Anyone been on a day trip to Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park/Mt Fuji? Better to go it alone or with a tour group? How did you get there?
    Thing about Mt Fuji is the seasons that the pathways are closed. If it is then you are stuck at the 3rd viewing station and that's it.

Me and the Mrs did a day trip to Hakone instead since the paths were closed. We acruelly hit up the onsen (hot springs) and it was super nice!
    Submaker.Illest.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast