Quantcast
One week in Tokyo - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: One week in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thanks for all the replies, guys! i really appreciate everyone's input! i will do more research based on this thread.

i wish we could stay longer than 1 week, but we're going to visit family in the philippines, since it's so close. i have some more questions:

- what kind of clothes should we bring? looking at the forecast, it's around 21 degrees, so i guess it's similar to our weather?
    - the JR pass aren't valid for local trains and buses. should we also get a local weekly pass?
    I was there in November so only a month later than you. Weather was PERFECT (for us anyway). Highs of low 20's, most days high teens depending where you were. Not too humid at all. So nice to be on vacation and not be trying to stay cool all the time. Avg temps for Tokyo in October are highs in low 20's high teens, and lows in low-mid teens.

The JR pass works on most thing that are JR, which can be busses, local trains, and all but the two Shinkansen (bullet trains) listed above. Sometimes the JR line is the fastest or most convenient, sometimes it isn't. This is where the PASMO or SUICA card comes in handy, you just scan in/out at any station and use whatever you want. We didn't use any buses at all except to the airport and the snow monkeys.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

thanks for all the replies, guys! i really appreciate everyone's input! i will do more research based on this thread.

i wish we could stay longer than 1 week, but we're going to visit family in the philippines, since it's so close. i have some more questions:

- the JR pass aren't valid for local trains and buses. should we also get a local weekly pass?
    I believe the local weekly passes are only valid for the particular metro (ie. Tokyo's metro is different than Osaka's which is different than Kyoto's). So unless you're staying in Tokyo for a week its not worth it. As mentioned before the JR pass will get you most places locally in Tokyo, but not so much in Osaka or Kyoto (granted still doable). What mitsu says is right... just make sure you grab a SUICA or PASMO and just use it as necessary. It works in all 3 cities on trains/busses on whichever lines so it gives you alot of flexibility

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Sorry I was meat to ask my friend. She cooked dinner, I ate most of it and drank a lot and passed out on her sofa..

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Girlfriend and I are going to Osaka at the end of the month. Not planning ahead, I booked all 10 days at the same AirBnB in Osaka.

most of this focuses on Tokyo. Any must do's for Osaka? I don't think we will be getting the JR rail pass and pass on Tokyo altogether

My Ride
    RX300

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Girlfriend and I are going to Osaka at the end of the month. Not planning ahead, I booked all 10 days at the same AirBnB in Osaka.

most of this focuses on Tokyo. Any must do's for Osaka? I don't think we will be getting the JR rail pass and pass on Tokyo altogether
    Osaka Aquarium, Dotonburi, Ramen Museum lots of options in Osaka. Do a day trip to Kobe, have kobe beef there.
    trying is the first step towards failure

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post

I would check out the palace as well as the places that saiyajin mentioned. Kyoto and Nara are fairly close if you run out of things to do in Osaka (lots of temples in both cities, Nara has the Deer Park where there are hundreds of deer that roam around among the people)

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Planning a trip to Japan later this year, what's considered a good price for flights? Beside flying to NRT, any other airports I should look at as well? Osaka?

My Ride
    Z

Osaka > Tokyo. Way more fun imo
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Planning a trip to Japan later this year, what's considered a good price for flights? Beside flying to NRT, any other airports I should look at as well? Osaka?
    We paid $900 for direct flights with Air Canada in November. We would have paid more too, because the direct flights are just so good. Lowest I've ever seen is $600-700 with Al Nippon and a stop in Vancouver. NRT was by far the cheapest every time I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    Osaka > Tokyo. Way more fun imo
    We found Tokyo to be better with a lot more to do, but we enjoyed both. We had ~5 days in Tokyo and could have used a lot more. Depends what you're into too I guess. Tokyo just has endless things to do no matter what you like.

hey guys! our trip is coming up, and we need to get some japanese yen. how much do we need for a week's trip? i know it's subjective, but i just don't want to get too much. should we get it there or here? thanks again!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    rally pig

hey guys! our trip is coming up, and we need to get some japanese yen. how much do we need for a week's trip? i know it's subjective, but i just don't want to get too much. should we get it there or here? thanks again!
    food and transportation is very similar to Canada so if you're on a budget/frugal then 50,000 per day but if baller or want to eat out and shop then maybe around 80,000+
    most stores will also take credit card.

1,000 Yen = ~10.50 CAD$

if you do end up with some Yen, let me know as I will need some for December!

I got mine here at CalForex. For a week I would bring around $500 worth if there's two of you. Most restaurants, stores, and places you will end up at as a tourist take credit card too, so that cuts down a lot on how much cash you need. All your cash purchases are likely to be very small, like admissions, vending machines, loading up PASMO, etc. We brought around $1300 CAD for 15 days and it was way too much - we came back with several hundred dollars. If you run out, you can go to any 7-11 and take out cash from your bank account, so it's not an issue if you run out either.

Pick up the Amazon Visa as well to avoid the 2.5% transaction fee.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Just got $105K yen for $1280 CAD. Going for 10 days so hopefully it'll be enough.
    The Super Famicom Mini is releasing there and I was hoping to grab one but i doubt

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Check between CalForex in Chinook and Canex Forex in Eau Claire. The Eau Claire store had a better exchange rate when I changed it back in July for my Trip in November.

hey guys! have any of you done the Mario cart tour in Tokyo??? http://maricar.com/en/shinagawa.html
    Last edited by nj2Type-S; 09-27-2017 at 12:15 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Taking money out before you leave is a giant ripoff. Any ATM there with the "Plus" logo will be able to serve you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Taking money out before you leave is a giant ripoff. Any ATM there with the "Plus" logo will be able to serve you.
    how so? when ATMs charge you per transaction?

My Ride
    M3P

hey guys! have any of you done the Mario cart tour in Tokyo??? http://maricar.com/en/shinagawa.html
    I have done it and it is a fucking riot. 100% recommend

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNWtwecg...n-by=deeyounee

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by GQBalla View Post
    how so? when ATMs charge you per transaction?
    So only make one or two withdrawals? My RBC account credits me back all the fees anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I have done it and it is a fucking riot. 100% recommend

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNWtwecg...n-by=deeyounee
    sweet!!! we're debating between going in the afternoon, or at night. which course did you go to? we're looking at akihabara #1, a1-m1.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast