Quantcast
One week in Tokyo - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: One week in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So only make one or two withdrawals? My RBC account credits me back all the fees anyway.
    ah that sounds like a sweet deal, i am going to call TD to see if I can have something like that.
    plus for some reason my max ATM withdrawal is 800 CAD while over seas.

My Ride
    NC1

that mario kart thing is by far the coolest thing ever. can't wait to go back and give it a go

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Damn .. yen is so low now, $1cad over 90 yen!! I just want to fly there for the weekend shopping and eating!!!

(Just went San Fran, $26US ramen is not near as good as 700 yen ramen in Japan .. lol)
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    sweet!!! we're debating between going in the afternoon, or at night. which course did you go to? we're looking at akihabara #1, a1-m1.
    I can't remember what we picked, it was the longest route. It ended up going an hour longer than scheduled and into the night so we got to drive during the day and also in the evening.

It was like being a fucking celebrity, people trying to high five you, children chasing you in the streets people taking photos, really quite cool.

I would do this every single time going to Japan
    Last edited by hurrdurr; 10-04-2017 at 10:45 AM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Hey guys, not to hijack a thread but how would people suggest to spend 18 days in Japan?

My fiancee and I are planning on going in February for our honeymoon. The only thing that is a must for us is 5 days in Niseko, the other 13 days are wide open. Any suggestions on how to spend it?

Thanks!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Hey guys, not to hijack a thread but how would people suggest to spend 18 days in Japan?

My fiancee and I are planning on going in February for our honeymoon. The only thing that is a must for us is 5 days in Niseko, the other 13 days are wide open. Any suggestions on how to spend it?

Thanks!
    Congrads!

Feb is good time, not that hot, and not the Sakura high season .. (Hotel Jack up to $600-700 a nite!) If you are going to Niseko anyway, sure worth to get the new North (Hokkaido) JR Pass!

Tokyo itself can easily spend few week, can go look at the new 65ft Unicorn Gundam almost everyday!

Shopping and food still best in the world (Food->Hokodate, Sapporo are very best, but great food from Tokyo/Osaka/etc too, shopping, Tokyo is crazy good and great price! However not easy for 6ft+ / 200 lbs + )

Enjoy!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    rally pig

has anyone been to Japan, Tokyo in particular during Christmas day? I heard it's the most romantic time of the year there.

We land in Narita at 4pm and our next flight is at 1am through Haneda, there will be 6 of us and we'll have dinner around Shinjuku (booked a cheap hotel room for us to store our luggages and take a rest if needed).
    Should we book a restaurant ahead of time or just gun it?

Also, what's the easiest way to get to Haneda from Shinjuku?
    We could take 2 trains to get there, bus or taxi.
    hotel advised us that for 6 people it would be about 90,000 yen per taxi and we would need 2.
    I've never done uber but was wondering if that's an option, can you request for a van?

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

It is very nice during Christmas, we spent few christmas there .. amazing lighting, and tons .. tons of cute girls!

Indeed, not "special holiday" in Japan during Christmas, so all the shops are opened, and hotel are not that expensive. (but quite full)

Taxi isn't expensive as those travel magazine said as well, it is expensive compare to other asian cities, but not more expensive than Canada.

If for 6 people, call uber (Van) is a great idea, taxi is easy and everywhere, but I don't recall I have seen mini Van taxi ..

However, from Narita to Shinjuki to Haneda can take a while!!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    It is very nice during Christmas, we spent few christmas there .. amazing lighting, and tons .. tons of cute girls!

Indeed, not "special holiday" in Japan during Christmas, so all the shops are opened, and hotel are not that expensive. (but quite full)

Taxi isn't expensive as those travel magazine said as well, it is expensive compare to other asian cities, but not more expensive than Canada.

If for 6 people, call uber (Van) is a great idea, taxi is easy and everywhere, but I don't recall I have seen mini Van taxi ..

However, from Narita to Shinjuki to Haneda can take a while!!
    Are restaurants busy on that day?
    Narita to Shinjuku is around 40min through the express train, so we probably wont be having dinner until around 6pm.
    Then thinking of leaving the hotel before 9:30pm to catch our flight at 1am to Manila.
    Might give Uber a try, have an account and have a 15$ off promo until end of the year.

I also need to show my parents around Shinjuku as coming back to Canada they have an overnight 14 hours layover (Haneda > Shinjuku > Narita) and the underground Shinjuku can be very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I can't remember what we picked, it was the longest route. It ended up going an hour longer than scheduled and into the night so we got to drive during the day and also in the evening.

It was like being a fucking celebrity, people trying to high five you, children chasing you in the streets people taking photos, really quite cool.

I would do this every single time going to Japan
    you guys were right. maricar was definitely the highlight of our trip! we went in the morning, as i sorta didn't want to drive at night, for safety reasons. man! going on rainbow bridge was amazing! there was even a older evo and an sti alongside us on the bridge lol. i had my gopro and my wife had to rent one from the shop. unfortunately, the micro sd card we got from the shop was corrupted, so we can't view the footage from her camera. can somebody please help me in retrieving these corrupted files?

and yeah, people were taking pix of us, people in the cars waving at us...we'd do it again, for sure!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

How accurate is the long range forcast for Tokyo. I know in Calgary we can't trust it beyond a day or two. I am heading there on the 18th.

Don't worry about things you can't change.

Anyone want to a recommend a Kobe beef place in Tokyo that won't break the bank? If that's at all possible.

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Don't worry about things you can't change.

Anyone want to a recommend a Kobe beef place in Tokyo that won't break the bank? If that's at all possible.
    Han No Daidokoro serves Yamagata A5 beef; similar to Kobe but much less expensive. I enjoyed the premium loin and sirloin better than than the kobe I had at Hakushu Teppanyaki which was $$$.

I had a good Kobe burger at Blaccows in Ebisu
    Last edited by hurrdurr; 11-06-2017 at 06:01 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Oh man, I'll be there for two weeks around cherry blossom season! Any recommendations? Should be fun timez.

I'm going to use this thread as a guide for my second time around haha.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone visit the northern side? Looking for a hub and I think Sendai works best.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Sendai is a nice place to visit, great food, and highly recommend you to rent a car. (easy to find car rental near by train station, can do 12 hour rental for day trip)

Since you have two weeks, enough time to take Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hokkaido, can stop by Sendai, Aomori, Hakodate etc ..

Again, Hotel is very expensive during Blossom, some $300-400 room can easily rise to $700 a night! Better book early!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    Sendai is a nice place to visit, great food, and highly recommend you to rent a car. (easy to find car rental near by train station, can do 12 hour rental for day trip)

Since you have two weeks, enough time to take Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hokkaido, can stop by Sendai, Aomori, Hakodate etc ..

Again, Hotel is very expensive during Blossom, some $300-400 room can easily rise to $700 a night! Better book early!
    Sweet, thanks! I was able to book a hotel for a week in Tokyo for $100ish/night and will be looking north to book the second week. Is Sendai a car-centric place and not transit-friendly?
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Man, great thread. We're thinking of doing 4 weeks in the fall for our honeymoon, that MarioKart thing is 100% happening.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Sweet, thanks! I was able to book a hotel for a week in Tokyo for $100ish/night and will be looking north to book the second week. Is Sendai a car-centric place and not transit-friendly?
    We were dumb last time, went to Tokyo, and suddenly decided to go Kyoto for blossom .. and Hotel was crazy expensive to book the night before! (Mostly fully booked...)

You won't have problem to take whatever transit in Sendai, but you probably want to go to surrounding areas, and driving is FUN in Japan! (exclude Tokyo/Osaka etc mega cities..)

And yes, can try the Mario Karts!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast