Quantcast
One week in Tokyo - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: One week in Tokyo

My Ride
    Whip.

Originally posted by lilmira

WTF how is that legal on public road lol?
    It shouldn't be, but it is. It felt pretty sketchy, but that made it all the more exhilarating.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I saw those guys in Tokyo when i was there. It looked hilarious.

Did you need a special drivers license?
    Definitely hilarious. We also bought a bunch of bananas to throw peels at each other.

We just showed IDPs when we arrived.
    THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
    N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

AE86, S2000, E46M3

Scratch that...fat, boost, AWD, DSG

My Ride
    BMW E71 X6

Checkout Ryan Boundless's channel on youTube, this guy is an expact living in Japan and has a lot of useful information for travellers and those who want to teach English there.

My Ride
    Busa

Golden gai is a great area for nightlife. There is also a cheap capsule hotel in the area. Kobe beef is a must if you're in Japan. Also, I would venture out to a ryoken in rural japan with an onsen. Definitely an amazing experience.

Google maps in Japan is pretty much cheating a travelling. It works out train schedules, platform numbers, walking time, etc. Such a difference compared to the first time I was there over a decade ago when most stations didn't even have the english train maps.

How do you guys make reservations at a high end sushi place? I'd like to have an authentic sushi experience without waiting in long lines at the fish market tourist trap. The 3 Michelin star places seem to be booking months in advance while 1 star places don't seem to do online reservations.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Manhattan
    How do you guys make reservations at a high end sushi place? I'd like to have an authentic sushi experience without waiting in long lines at the fish market tourist trap. The 3 Michelin star places seem to be booking months in advance while 1 star places don't seem to do online reservations.
    I went with my hotel receptionist.

It was a lot of broken English and pointing, but got the job done.

Just download an app that translates for you.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Manhattan
    had our kyoto airbnb book sushi matsumoto

for tokyo, i had wifes friend (they live in japan) get me a lunch reservation at masuda sushi

if staying at a hotel, tell your hotel concierge
    Last edited by taemo; 04-04-2016 at 05:02 AM.

My Ride
    GSR

Going to be in Tokyo, any recommendations for steak houses?

BUMP!

my wife and I will be traveling to japan for a week at the beginning of October, then we're heading to the Philippines.

from what I've gathered, Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka are really the major places to visit. my wife and i really just want to wander about and eat a lot haha! here are some of my queries for you experienced travelers:

- is it worth getting the JR pass? for $300/person for a week pass, it's pretty expensive
    - what is the best way to get around to places? would you recommend taking the taxi, or would the JR pass cover all train fees?
    - aside from the pocket wifi, are there other pieces of equipment that I should ensure to have with me?
    - as I've mentioned, we'll be going to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. are there other places that I should consider, given my time constraints?
    - would you recommend booking hotels at each of the city that we visit, or are day trips acceptable? I'm not sure how easy it is to bring my luggage with us wherever we go lol.
    - our first stop is in Tokyo. which area should we look at booking our airnbnb accommodation?
    - how much cash should we bring? is it advisable to use credit cards over cash?

I'm sure i'll have more inquiries, but these are just some. we're super excited, but it seems overwhelming because there's so much to see!

thanks!!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BUMP!

my wife and I will be traveling to japan for a week at the beginning of October, then we're heading to the Philippines.

from what I've gathered, Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka are really the major places to visit. my wife and i really just want to wander about and eat a lot haha! here are some of my queries for you experienced travelers:

- is it worth getting the JR pass? for $300/person for a week pass, it's pretty expensive
    - what is the best way to get around to places? would you recommend taking the taxi, or would the JR pass cover all train fees?
    - aside from the pocket wifi, are there other pieces of equipment that I should ensure to have with me?
    - as I've mentioned, we'll be going to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. are there other places that I should consider, given my time constraints?
    - would you recommend booking hotels at each of the city that we visit, or are day trips acceptable? I'm not sure how easy it is to bring my luggage with us wherever we go lol.
    - our first stop is in Tokyo. which area should we look at booking our airnbnb accommodation?

I'm sure i'll have more inquiries, but these are just some. we're super excited, but it seems overwhelming because there's so much to see!

thanks!!
    A friend just got back from the land of the rising sun. Im meeting her this evening for foods.
    Will ask her and update.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

BUMP!

thanks!!
    I'll answer a few with my opinions:

- I'd say its worth getting the JR pass since you'll be travelling to Kyoto and Osaka. The train ticket to/from Kyoto/Osaka and Tokyo would come fairly close to the price of the 1 week JR pass so it's a no brainer to get one since you'll be able to save on train fares within Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka. Keep in mind that the JR pass will not work on the local metro lines in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka... only the JR lines (which do serve different places within each city)
    -The best way by far to get to places is by train. Taxi's are super expensive. In Kyoto I used the bus a fair bit as well as sometimes the train stations werent very close to the sights i wanted to see
    -Aside from the pocket wifi i'd make sure to bring an external battery pack/charger so you can keep the pocket wifi charged up. I noticed that the pocket wifi battery would drain very quickly (~4-5hrs) and would need to be recharged frequently.
    -I think for a quick trip Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka would be sufficient... you may be able to go to Nara as well which in-between Kyoto and Osaka. However with those 3 places in only a week it'll be fairly tight
    -I would reccomend booking hotels for sure in all 3 cities. You can do a day trip to Nara but I think you'll need atleast 2 days for both Osaka and Kyoto and multiple days of course for Tokyo
    -When I went to Tokyo we stayed in the Shinjuku/Schibuya area and found it quite convenient... tbh i'd pick somewhere close to a JR train station... its pretty easy to get to the other parts of Tokyo via the JR circle route.
    -I'd bring $1000 CDN just to be safe... you could probably go by with less but alot of food places dont take credit cards. That being said, most places do take credit cards. If you need to take out money it's very easy since all 7-11's have an ATM that work with our debit cards and the transaction fees are fairly reasonable at around $5.00 IIRC.

My Ride
    M3P

I would say a week to go to all three of those places is a stretch. You're spreading yourself too thin.

A2VR6 is right though if you are adamant about visiting Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka you're well suited to buy the JR Pass - will likely be cheaper.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

There are places that will hold your luggage near the train station.

BUMP!

thanks!!
    Went for 16 days last November, this is my opinion:

- I would get the JR pass even if it ends up being slightly more expensive than individual tickets because it's so damn convenient. You are likely to come out ahead though if you use the bullet trains between major cities or do any day trips. You don't need reservations on the bullet trains but you need to get tickets at the counter if you want to pick your seats. You can use any bullet trains except NOZOMI and MIZUHO with the pass.
    - Transit is better than anywhere else in the world and it's all you will need. JR pass does not cover all the trains, and sometimes it's cheaper using the local trains, but they are cheap, easy, and convenient. Get a PASMO or SUICA card and throw $20 on it and freely use whatever local trains you want
    - Portable charging block for your phones/pocket wifi
    - I would do a day trip to Hiroshima/Hemji (same trip), and I would take the Shinkensen to Nagano, and keep going a bit further to see the snow monkeys. Truly a once in a lifetime experience and inexpensive.
    - I would do AirBNB. It was much cheaper than a hotel and you get an entire apartment with A/C, washer/dryer, kitchen, etc. We did everything from home bases in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto but we also had 16 days. Get an AirBnb in each major city and plan your trip around those IMO.
    - Bring a backpack instead of rolling luggage, even though you aren't really 'backpacking'. It's way easier and you don't need much stuff, especially since you will have a washer/dryer.
    - In Tokyo I would get an AirBnb near Tokyo station or near Shinjuku. We had one in Shinjuku and it was perfect. There is a JR train loop in Tokyo that will be free with your JR pass too.
    - Japan is a cash based society HOWEVER every major business, restaurant, hotels, etc. takes credit card. Every single food place we went to that wasn't in a market or on the street took credit card. You will need it for some admissions, street food, loading up transit cards, etc. Get the Amazon visa which is free with no FX fees and use that wherever possible, and then cash for the rest. We used around $1000 cash between the two of us over 16 days and we bought a lot of street food, paid lots of admissions, etc. There is no tipping there. If you need to take out cash with your debit card it's not bad, and most of the 7-11's have ATMs.

Few things I wouldn't miss if you have enough time:

- Tokyo Sky Tree
    - Tsukiji Fish Market for the freshest sushi possible (Tokyo)
    - Fushimi inari (Kyoto)
    - Snow Monkeys (easy day trip from Tokyo)
    - Osaka Aquarium
    - Osaka Castle
    - Hiroshima (easy day trip from Kyoto or Osaka)
    - Hemji Castle (on way to Hiroshima)
    - Eat sushi and green tea ice cream everywhere

If you think I can help you out more just ask. I wrote up an enormous email for a friend on Japan, if you want shoot me a PM I can send it to you too.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Hey Mitsu
    Are you referring to the Chase Amazon card? Just want to confirm because I think their Rewards card is discontinued.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

+1 to what everyone's said.
    For baller status, get the green car JR pass. Helps if you're travelling with luggage since I didn't see any spots where one would put a checked luggage.
    In Tokyo, take the Yamanote line, free with JR pass. Takes you everywhere you would want to go anyways.
    Another +1 to whoever said to stay near a train station.
    I tend to go with a sim card, however if there's more than one of you which requires internet connectivity the pocket wifi makes more sense. I've used Sakura Mobile and bmobile, both offered pickup at the airport post office.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

One week is not enough .. lol

Beware, Spring / April cherry blossom season, Hotel are expensive, easily $500-1,000 a night!

Food is best .. no where in the world can match .. perfect time to see the new 70 ft Unicorn Gundam, and the massive Gundam museum, one piece tower, more and more ..

If you are going to spend a bit more time in Japan, get the JR pass, just ~ $300 cad for a week, you can go Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe etc .. but if just one week, I will stay in Tokyo just for food and shopping.

Tax refund is so much easier now, over $5,000 yen (~ $60cad) can do, and if you know how to speak mandarin? you don't need to speak English or Japanese .. lol

Keep in mind, when you use credit, many shops will charge ~3% fee, so cash is your best friend!

Driving is fun there, but expensive, and if you stay in Tokyo, don't drive ...

Have fun! You will love it! Best city in the world to visit! Don't worry about Jet Lag, some cool 24 hr shops, and food from 7-11 is awesome!!!

Sim card is easy too, ~ $20 for a week, unlimited data LTE, fast and reliable!
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

thanks for all the replies, guys! i really appreciate everyone's input! i will do more research based on this thread.

i wish we could stay longer than 1 week, but we're going to visit family in the philippines, since it's so close. i have some more questions:

- what kind of clothes should we bring? looking at the forecast, it's around 21 degrees, so i guess it's similar to our weather?
    - the JR pass aren't valid for local trains and buses. should we also get a local weekly pass?
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Hey Mitsu
    Are you referring to the Chase Amazon card? Just want to confirm because I think their Rewards card is discontinued.
    That's the one - it looks like it's still available unless I'm missing something:

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/amazon-ca-home.htm

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

thanks for all the replies, guys! i really appreciate everyone's input! i will do more research based on this thread.

i wish we could stay longer than 1 week, but we're going to visit family in the philippines, since it's so close. i have some more questions:

- what kind of clothes should we bring? looking at the forecast, it's around 21 degrees, so i guess it's similar to our weather?
    - the JR pass aren't valid for local trains and buses. should we also get a local weekly pass?
    I went in late April which had similar if not warmer weather, the humidity is the factor so wear light clothing. Evenings can be quite cool as well.
    JR rail pass contrary to the name is valid for buses as well.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast