Quantcast
DIY Home Automation with Apple Homekit - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Home Automation with Apple Homekit

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    actually, after a little bit of googling, this device looks like it does what i'm looking for.

https://bondhome.io/
    100USD and it doesn't ship outside of US? It shouldn't be that difficult or costly to make such device. I have an older ceiling light/fan and the wiring looks the same as the simpleconnect, black/white/blue/yellow. I'm guessing that it will work. I have bought two hunter fans with homekit since and they work fine. 100USD is almost half the price I paid for the hunter fan.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Bump. This gong show of an install is really just a preview of how poorly designed this product is. At this point, if you have this device, it's decreasing the security of your home, especially if you have any automation involved. The problem is that myQ reports the state of the garage door incorrectly, so it shows it as Open when it's physically closed. Tie in automation to ensure your home is locked for the night, it'll see the door as incorrectly open, send a command to "close" an already closed door which would open the door. Looking at video footage, this has happened to me several times without me knowing, leaving the door open for hours and at times overnight depending on how the scenes are triggered. Of course, someone went into my open garage and jacked a bunch of bikes and jackets. Here's a youtube demo I did capturing the problem last night:

This isn't just a me problem, there are a huge number of posts on phantom open on the myQ community, reddit, everywhere. Search for chamberlain myq phantom open on google and there are a shit ton of hits. Chamberlain support is zero help. They're asking me to delete the settings and reinstall it. Textbook customer support handbook. I'm troubleshooting this on my own now that I can sporadically duplicate it. For now I've killed off any door closing automation, I suggest anyone using myQ do the same.

Note that this isn't the first product to have this problem. Yale and August both suffered from incorrect state issues at some point in their lives. Garage door open is much more visible than an unlocked door though.

Once I get through and able to figure out exactly where the failure is, I'll post a new thread on the problem.
    Interesting. I had the same setup except through a Vera Controller.

One late night after hockey, I woke up to the garage open and assumed I left the garage door open. I wonder if it opened in error.

$8,000 of stuff stolen in the garage that night, wife lost her shit on me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Thanks Google.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/07/...rks-with-nest/

This may affect some of you tied to the Google Nest platform.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think it will be short term pain for long term gain tbh.

Nest has been run like the ugly step cousin for a while now, google doubling down is only a good thing.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think it will be short term pain for long term gain tbh.

Nest has been run like the ugly step cousin for a while now, google doubling down is only a good thing.
    Till they discontinue on the next great thing.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Trucks

I have a Nest tied through Vivint, so I’m getting emails from both sides telling me not to panic until this summer.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Regarding your MyQ problem I bought one before winter thinking it would be great to make sure that the garage door is always monitored but it wont even pair the garage door despite looking like it does (syncs etc everything seems to be synced then myq fails) so I have it in monitor only mode and it always thinks its open. I dont have it connected to any automatic system though. There used to be a different manufacturer that did garage door monitoring but they stopped selling their sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Regarding your MyQ problem I bought one before winter thinking it would be great to make sure that the garage door is always monitored but it wont even pair the garage door despite looking like it does (syncs etc everything seems to be synced then myq fails) so I have it in monitor only mode and it always thinks its open. I dont have it connected to any automatic system though. There used to be a different manufacturer that did garage door monitoring but they stopped selling their sensors.
    Interesting, missed this discussion on MyQ. Personally haven't had any problems on mine, but mine is a newer one i bought in December 2018 with built in MyQ, not the add-on kit to add myQ to your existing opener.

Will definitely monitor it a bit closely now after reading this.

My Ride
    FB6

I have a myQ enabled opener that needed me to buy the HomeBridge to make it work with Homekit. Everything works so far, I've had it for a few months now.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

When I installed mine, I had problem pairing it to my opener. I had the myq so and so away from the opener as per the instruction but it was still too close apparently. It finally worked after I moved the myq another foot away.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm new so I've never really seen this thread but regarding all the myQ issues - I have a Lift Master (same as ChamberPot) and they sometimes fail open. I don't have myQ at all. My wall controller died (because hey, it's 5 years old-as-fuck) and the fuckin door responded to that failure by:
    A.) Opening for no reason.
    B.) Not responding to ANY other controller or Home Link that had been previously programmed. (I assume the wall unit trips to "lock out other remotes" with its dying breath.)
    C.) Staying open unless you bypass the faulty wall unit or perform the load/limit test with the button on the actual motor.

In short, I have little doubt that myQ is complete shit but these openers themselves are also pretty poorly programmed even without the new issues introduced by myQ.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

MyQ works well, it’s just that the sensor implementation is brutal and doesn’t account for poor power conditions and can miss communicating a change in state which leads to a huge lapse in security if you have any sort of automation to close the door.

From my research, I don't think this is a problem with the newer openers that have MyQ built in as it uses internal position sensors and not a wireless battery powered tilt sensor to determine open/close states.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    When I installed mine, I had problem pairing it to my opener. I had the myq so and so away from the opener as per the instruction but it was still too close apparently. It finally worked after I moved the myq another foot away.
    Which part needs to be located far away from the opener? the thing that has the power cord attached to the roof or the thing attached to the garage door?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Which part needs to be located far away from the opener? the thing that has the power cord attached to the roof or the thing attached to the garage door?
    The thing with the power cord. It communicates with your opener. I didn't have problem with the door sensor. My opener just wouldn't do anything when pairing. I was about to give up. Took the myq down from the ceiling and decided to try it one more time. Then it worked! Who knows it can actually be too close for wireless signal.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

hmm alright I'll try that out tonight. I think that paired with a wyze camera in the garage would be a better solution than now.

Also as an aside I walk around my community at night to complete my exercise circle (apple watch) and I count like 4 different houses that leave their garage doors open every single night. I always think hmm should I close that for them, but decide not to because I dont want to walk up their driveway.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

@killramos @spike98 Moving this to the HomeKit thread.

That thing is essentially just a homebridge box? Works well with Cameras?
    It's from the guy that built the homebridge integration for Nest. He commercialized it. It supports everything but homekit secure video. No big deal since I rely on Nest for that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    I want to get out of ADT and into a DIY setup. I am just so new to homekit that i am scared to make the jump. I would like to go with Abode but the automation part i am worried about as i have specific things i want to accomplish (ie. lock doors at XX time, or turn off/on lights or shades with sunrise sunset). The reviews on Abode are that its a good security system but pretty light on the home automation end. Is there a homekit controller that you are aware of that will work with Abode on the security side and take the heavy lift on the automation side?

Edit, nevermind, seen the starling home hub.That seems to be only nest integration. I am looking for other zwave type control.
    Homekit just needs an Apple TV (4 or greater) or an iPad at home to be your "hub" to create scheduled automations and remote access. After that just get homekit compatible devices and you're good to go. Without a either of those as a hub you can still control everything from home with HomeKit, just no automation or remote access.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Worth a shot, I had it setup on an old laptop to try homebridge, worked alright but I don’t have time to maintain it.

I think I looked at this in the past but didn’t bother since it didn’t support my Nest Guard. Now it looks like it does.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Worth a shot, I had it setup on an old laptop to try homebridge, worked alright but I don’t have time to maintain it.

I think I looked at this in the past but didn’t bother since it didn’t support my Nest Guard. Now it looks like it does.
    Yea, he's not updating the free ones anymore to support new gear. Pay to play.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just ordered one, looks like it’s back ordered.

Google should buy this guy, he has done more to make me want to stick with Nest than they have in years.

Nest is kind of sad lately.

fact.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast