Quantcast
Contractor Went AWOL..what are my options? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contractor Went AWOL..what are my options?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Contractor Went AWOL..what are my options?

Hi All,

It's not 100% clear yet, but I believe a contractor I am working with on my septic/well system has went AWOL. I won't post his info yet, but looking for options.

So when I first started building my house, I found a contractor who advertised that they do grading/septic/wells, and met with him on the property. He was the first contractor I had to deal with on this property and it was long before any construction started. I needed to know his requirements for a septic field location ect so that I could place my house correctly with proper clearances. Also, because my house is a slab-on-grade, I needed the water line and drain line in place before my walls went up.

A few days later he showed up on land with a little excavator and dug a few holes in a few areas for a perc test.

Fast forward a few months and time came to get my house pad built and area cleared for my house build, and this is where first sign of trouble started. At this time he told me that with consultation with his co-worker, the job is too big for him, and he wouldn't have the equipment to do it property, and would need to bring a ton of material, adding about 13k+ to the cost. This should have been my off-boarding with him, but after finding another guy to do the grading and the pad, at an unexpected $24k expense, I decided to stick with this guy for the other parts of the build, this was probably a mistake.

Anyways, when the screw piles started going in, he showed up and got the water line installed, got the septic tank installed, and got the septic field built. He also dug a trench for my electrical cable and put in sections of pipe as conduit in a few locations around the house for all of the conduits I was going to be using. At this point, his work was done for a while, as I had an entire house to build before I would need him again. At that point, I have paid him majority of the money for the job, but held back $3k until he was able to finish everything.

As there were some delays in my build, after about 3 month he asked that I pay the rest. I was very hesitant, but against my better judgement, I paid him the remainder of the money. The only outstanding things left are a pressure tank, a pressure switch, and the related wiring, nothing too complicated, and realistically not terribly expensive, so I decided to settle fully with him. He seemed trustworthy enough, and when I brought up the fact that he won't have a reason to come back, he sweet talked me by saying things like "this is a long term relationship, I have to warranty the field ect ect).

Fast forward to this summer, which is about 7 months after he finished the previous work, I reached out to him to see if he was still alive. Initially he didn't respond, but eventually we talked and he asked if I was ready for the tank and I said I was. He insisted we get this done now instead of waiting, as he will get more busy as things pickup, and I agreed, and then it went silent. I got many things on the go, and don't need the tank right away, so I didn't bug hum much about it, but then a month or so later I started talking to him more, and he was still answering the call and always said "i will go and pickup the tank tomorrow and we will get it done". This same message has been repeated to me throughout this entire summer. I know contractors are super busy now, but it's getting harder and harder to reach him, and now, whenever I call the number, I get a "this number is not in service"....but then later if I try again I get his voicemail directly. I haven't tried in a few days, so perhaps was some issue during that day, so I sent an email and haven't heard back.

At this point, I feel like he will never show up, and I want to see what my options are, if any. I could just swallow my loss, and find someone else to finish the last few minor things, but if I got screwed, I want to make sure this guy doesn't screw anyone else.

He seems to be very concerned about his google ratings, and asked me to leave him a good review back in the day, which I did, but shortly I will be telling him that I am about to change my review, which I think may be the final trick I have to get him to come and finish the job.

Just wondering what my options may be after this, if he completely ghosts me and never finishes the job? I know I fucked up by trusting him and paying the full amount, but with little outstanding work left, I figured it wasn't that big of a risk overall. If I have to, I am willing to fuck this guy over as much as I have to, so all options are on the table. It's not about the money, it's to ensure he doesn't fuck anyone else.

Thanks!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He seems to be very concerned about his google ratings, and asked me to leave him a good review back in the day, which I did, but shortly I will be telling him that I am about to change my review, which I think may be the final trick I have to get him to come and finish the job.Thanks!
    Post his google page and let us flood it with bad reviews.
    He'll just go and close the company and start with a new name though

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

The fact he is still replying is a huge positive. Instead of putting the ball in his court for when he can come try telling him when to come such as "Lets get you here on Monday at 9am to get this wrapped up". You can let him know you're concerned hes trying to not finish the job because you've already paid him. Depending how he replies to that you can let him know you're going to need to reflect that in his google review.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

I would use some non septic safe toilet paper and have him come out for a warranty claim.

Or fuck his dad.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Post his google page and let us flood it with bad reviews.
    He'll just go and close the company and start with a new name though
    That may happen if this escalates. Was always one of my weapons that I have been thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    The fact he is still replying is a huge positive. Instead of putting the ball in his court for when he can come try telling him when to come such as "Lets get you here on Monday at 9am to get this wrapped up". You can let him know you're concerned hes trying to not finish the job because you've already paid him. Depending how he replies to that you can let him know you're going to need to reflect that in his google review.
    May be a good approach, but every time I get off the phone with him it sounds like it's all set, and he never shows. I did bring it up to him over phone before that I feel like I am getting screwed, and he said he would never do that to anyone....but then his actions don't really show it.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I would use some non septic safe toilet paper and have him come out for a warranty claim.

Or fuck his dad.
    I don't have toilets or water yet haha, too obvious.

Where's his office? Time to see him in person.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    May be a good approach, but every time I get off the phone with him it sounds like it's all set, and he never shows. I did bring it up to him over phone before that I feel like I am getting screwed, and he said he would never do that to anyone....but then his actions don't really show it.
    Then your reply needs to be that if he's not looking to screw you over he will be there monday at 9 like you agreed to. I know you're probably trying to be a nice guy but in situations like this sometimes you need to just lay it out. "We've agreed on meeting X number of times and you've ghosted me every time. I get life can be busy but this is starting to get ridiculous and is coming across like you're actively trying to screw me over. If thats not the case, then I need you to be here at Y time and get this wrapped up so we can both move on"
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Then your reply needs to be that if he's not looking to screw you over he will be there monday at 9 like you agreed to. I know you're probably trying to be a nice guy but in situations like this sometimes you need to just lay it out. "We've agreed on meeting X number of times and you've ghosted me every time. I get life can be busy but this is starting to get ridiculous and is coming across like you're actively trying to screw me over. If thats not the case, then I need you to be here at Y time and get this wrapped up so we can both move on"
    This seems like a well metered approach.

Granted we are commercial specific but we don't have a subtrade in our network who would behave in such a manner (although there are some out there of course). As a GC even if we did come across a subcontractor who did this, we would insulate our client from it and they'd never know about the issue. Since you are your own GC you really have no clout to swing over his head but you still have to address the situation as one and that's good advice on how to do it.

You've learned your lesson here on progress payments and knowing that if someone isn't willing to do them, you don't hire them, but hopefully it still comes without a cost to you. You'll know as soon as you follow that good advice and see the response.

Follow up phone calls with emails then, hire someone to finish the work if you have to and take him to small claims if you think it's worth it. If it isn't, carry on with your life and chalk if up as a small unbudgeted cost of self-performing as a GC (you've gotten off pretty easy all the way through your build which is awesome) and then pay him back with whatever public shaming makes you feel vindicated lol
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I think that's just slightly harsher than it needs to be (ie: "screw over"), but basically that. Take no action against him until you need to. But if you need to, realistic options are:
    a) Changing your Google review.
    b) Sending him an official letter, demanding it gets finished by X date or you will persue legal action.
    c) Going to court.

I realize you've already paid in full, but if you can prove to the court that it isn't finished, they should side with you.

I’d try calling from a different number . When number is blocked can go directly to voicemail. Had a guy in Edmonton that owed me a few bucks and had to continually call from different numbers.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by loweg View Post
    I’d try calling from a different number . When number is blocked can go directly to voicemail. Had a guy in Edmonton that owed me a few bucks and had to continually call from different numbers.
    Was it former MLA Peter Sandhu? Fuck that stealing prick and everyone associated with him.
    What a horrendous prick.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

You can still be nice but firm. You have him enough benefit of the doubt. Now it's time to tighten the leash.

I agree with some of the posted options here - advising restraint and a little bit (more) patience, always a good plan, until it doesn't work. As someone else said, showing up in person is a good option at that point, should the attempt at maintaining comms through cellular numbers and emails fail. If he ghosts you, and you don't have an address for him, either business of home, there are some good PIs in Calgary that can find his home or biz address quickly and easily based on the info you have, so you can confront him in person. Again, if he ghosts you, and you figure it's worth the time and expense and pita.

My Ride
    NC1

How to win friends and influence people
    - appeal to nobler motives
    Unless this contractor literally dgaf, doesn’t want to do the right thing etc.

Who knows what the heck people are thinking or going through these days. Of course this isn’t ideal, it’s testing your patience, you probably just want to escalate etc etc. hope it works out for you

It took me 13 months to get a $2100 refund from burrard Acura, tons of emails week after week month after month lol I felt like I did the finance manager’s job for him
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, been tied up. So last Friday I gave him a call and he answered and we had a good 10 min chat. He said he was out in Palm Springs and had phone issues over there....could explain why most of time it went to voicemail and others said it was unassigned I guess, not sure how the handoff happens when roaming.

Anyways, after a good discussion about some components and outstanding work, we agreed that he would come out on Monday to get the job done. He was insistent on getting it done sooner than later due to weather, and I had the day off so was happy it was going to work out....but as no surprise at this point, he never showed. I txted him at 9:30AM to verify he was still coming, to which he didn't reply, and then called about 1PM and got rings and voicemail, but no response. At 4:45 he finally responded to txt and said he had a late start and would call me tomorrow morning (this Tuesday). Tuesday came and went and I got no call. Today is Wed and still no call. I haven't been pressing him because Tue and Wed I have to be in the office working long hours, so going to land mid-day would be difficult at best. I will resume calling him tomorrow to see when he plans on doing this. Every time I get off the phone I feel like we are getting somewhere and I start to feel better, but it never comes through, so it's always more disappointment.

I will keep pushing for now, but soon enough here, I will be throwing the google review thing in. Problem is...he is a biker...and he has told me before how he rolled up with his crew on their Harleys to clients who weren't paying to scare them....so I don't want to get on his bad side just yet...and trying all diplomatic options with lots of patience.

I will update as things progress...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Fuck that guy. The second threatens me business is done.

He knows at this point he can push you around and you won't do anything so now is the time to take action and drop the clown.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Like he's HA/Afilliated? or just a regular guy riding a bike that thinks it makes him scary? haha

Does it matter if he is HA/affiliated? I thought they were just a group of guys who enjoy motorcycles and common interests.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Does it matter if he is HA/affiliated? I thought they were just a group of guys who enjoy motorcycles and common interests.
    They don't exist since October of 2018 because Trudeau legalized marijuana so that the citizens of Canada could reap in the billions of profit and tax dollars.
    Wait...

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    Like he's HA/Afilliated? or just a regular guy riding a bike that thinks it makes him scary? haha
    This is an important distinction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast